Giant STANCE E+ 2

Bundu Ric

Hi all, 

Does anyone have any first hand experience or views on Giant's e-bikes?

For some background, my wife had a stroke a couple of years ago, so she is not allowed to do any strenuous exercise as a result of the medication she is on. 

So we go for the occasional ride, but as an example a 5k trail ride would take between 30-35mins so we keep heart rate in check. This weekend rented an e-bike and we could do the same ride in like 22 mins keeping heart rate in check and do the trail twice. 

So I am looking at the Giant Stance, based on online specs, some reviews and the brand itself. 

But at the price point, I want to make sure I get the best bang for my buck in terms of performance, reliability, backup and obviously current stock availability of bikes in general. 

Much appreciated. 

Hi Bundu Ric

I have the Trance E.  I have done about 3 000 km in the last year.

LOVE it !!!

I do believe some women prefer the LIV versions .... so maybe get your wife to test ride one.

BATTERY .... make sure to get at least the 625Wh battery, or larger if that is an option.  Older models came with the 500W.h, significantly reducing your range.

I replaced the Giant lock-grips with Chunky SFI grips   :thumbup:

I have a very nice saddle that I used on my previous bike .... never got around to fitting it to the Giant, the standard saddle is actually pretty good.

I opted for the 2019 model, with an 11 speed system.  Cheaper maintenance .... or so I would like to believe.  :whistling:   At 3 000 km the chain wear is almost at 0,5%.

Did I mention, I LOVE this bike !!  :clap:   :clap:

Ric I know some new riders do take a while to get used to the idea of when to use the motor settings, and when to use the gears .....  :whistling:   You could make it a LOT easier for her, just link to the app, and set the first setting to 150%, then 250% and 360%.  She can LEAVE it on the first light for 95% of your riding, and just use the gears as normal.  (At the moment I have turned my power levels a bit down from the factory settings, getting a bit more range out of the battery ....)

Your bike would most likely come with plus-size tires .... play with the pressures ...... These bikes runs smoothly on lower pressures.  Which reminds me, fork and shock left fully open ...

Back to gears - make sure she is in the right gear for STEEP hills !!  Once her cadence drops the bike is going to stall out ..... the motor has its limits .....

Shifting gears while riding ..... uhm ja .... if you are leaning into the pedals you WILL hear one almighty crunch as the chain is forced onto the next gear.  Get a nice cadence, STOP pedalling and see how the FRONT ring keeps on turning as the motor winds down .... JIP, you also have a ratchet up front.  USE this .... get your cadence, as you select the next gear, easy off or stop pedalling for a split second .... as the gears keep turning the chain moves across without any crunching sound.

one thing to remember with the e-bike .... it is a help-my-trap ..... you stop, the motor STOP .... gear down, slow down, but always keep your cadence above 60, idealy above 70, especially along uphills.

ENJOY !!

Ric feel free to ask more questions here, or drop me a DM if you want to talk more.

I am not an agent for Giant but in my view you get excellent value for money . I always say Giant is like a Toyota . Not flashy but does the job . And yes for your wife get the Liv . 

@chrisf thanks for the great reply, we will be going out for the first ride today and I am sure there will be questions coming your way. 

She currently has a Liv dual MTB and we tested the Giant Stance 2 yesterday in a small which she loved so because of the lack of stock and this one being there opted for the Giant. 

Tip 1 .... when you link the "Ride Control" app on your phone to the bike .... make sure that "location" is switched ON on the phone ....  :whistling:   :ph34r:

the school fees we pay along this journey ....  :whistling:  :whistling:

Thanks, out of curiosity is this due to the speed control or for some other reason?

Tip 1 .... when you link the "Ride Control" app on your phone to the bike .... make sure that "location" is switched ON on the phone ....  :whistling:   :ph34r:

the school fees we pay along this journey ....  :whistling:  :whistling:

Hi all, 

Does anyone have any first hand experience or views on Giant's e-bikes?

For some background, my wife had a stroke a couple of years ago, so she is not allowed to do any strenuous exercise as a result of the medication she is on. 

So we go for the occasional ride, but as an example a 5k trail ride would take between 30-35mins so we keep heart rate in check. This weekend rented an e-bike and we could do the same ride in like 22 mins keeping heart rate in check and do the trail twice. 

So I am looking at the Giant Stance, based on online specs, some reviews and the brand itself. 

But at the price point, I want to make sure I get the best bang for my buck in terms of performance, reliability, backup and obviously current stock availability of bikes in general. 

Much appreciated. 

A mate of mine bought one - for HIS g/friend - 2 months ago, very happy,  but he made a small change to the bike - give me a call, and I will pass on HIS number, his name is Brett W.   

Edited by Zebra

I have a 2016 giant dirt e plus

older e bike

no fancy apps

standard battery and standard bike

love it

it does the job

when i bought it back in 2016 i paid 35 k

really good value for money

edit

before all the pitchforks etc i had a quadruple bypass in 2015 and the only way i now can ride with family (wife and kids) is on the e bike

Edited by rorydewet

Thanks, out of curiosity is this due to the speed control or for some other reason?

Have absolutely no idea ....  The previous version did not require "location".

After a software update it now requires it ..... really had me going for a while .....

My phone is NOT linked to the bike while riding, so really not sure why they changed this.

It is possible to use your phone, linked to the bike while riding, to track your rides, predict range and all kinds of space age stuff ....  I just count the LED's, and work on 10km per bar remaining.

I have a 2016 giant dirt e plus

older e bike

no fancy apps

standard battery and standard bike

love it

it does the job

when i bought it back in 2016 i paid 35 k

really good value for money

edit

before all the pitchforks etc i had a quadruple bypass in 2015 and the only way i now can ride with family (wife and kids) is on the e bike

Stop making excuses for riding an E-bike..

Have absolutely no idea .... The previous version did not require "location".

After a software update it now requires it ..... really had me going for a while .....

My phone is NOT linked to the bike while riding, so really not sure why they changed this.

It is possible to use your phone, linked to the bike while riding, to track your rides, predict range and all kinds of space age stuff .... I just count the LED's, and work on 10km per bar remaining.

Can you ride without a phone on these bikes? Unless I am riding solo I leave my phone in my car when riding most of the time.

Edit: Reading your post again answered the question.

Edited by Grease_Monkey

Can you ride without a phone on these bikes? Unless I am riding solo I leave my phone in my car when riding most of the time.

Yes you need a phone. To phone a friend when the battery dies and you must still climb 500m to get back home  :whistling:

With the Giant - no phone needed.

I have an old pre-paid phone I use on my solo rides.  I paired this with the Giant.

During commutes that phone is left at home.

I only use the analytical and setup functions of the app.

Both Giant and Spez have a function, using the phone for GPS, whereby you pre-load your route, and it ensures your battery lasts for the full trip .... so if you use more juice up to the mast, expect less assistance later in the trip ....  

Giant also has an app function whereby it logs your ride details .... I have not seen the need or use for this ..... I may just be missing out .... but I dont want to be tethered to a phone ...