Your top 5-10 MTB Trails around Cape Town

Jbr

Hey guys,

I see there are plenty of topics about MTB around Cape Town, but I thought it would be nice for everyone to list their favourites, maybe with a little bit of a description to explain why. I'm interested to see if I know most of the best trails around yet or if there are still some hidden gems. Or maybe if I went to places but missed the best trails they had to offer.

This is my personal list, from favourite to least favourite

This is slightly biased because I live close to Tygerberg network so I ride there all the time. I know those trails like my pocket, so they're not that exciting to me anymore, even though a flat out Boomslang now and then is always a treat

Jonkershoek - Armageddon : Perfect place, stunning views, great adventure and epic ride. Not a big fan of red phoenix, I have yet to try the fire hut apparently it's a great one too. Not excited at all by the plumber, the Iron monkey one day when I'm big.

Tokai - Snakes trails from the top of cobra

Those two I really enjoy because they offer a nice variety from top to bottom, with rocks and fast and flowy turns at the bottom.

Contermanskloof - all trails (I include Bloemendaaler/boomslang to that even if it's technically Bloemendal)

Banhoek - afterburn/klipwerf : really nice, just discovered it. I only know 3 downhill trails and it's not positionned higher because I don't know the place well enough to make my way efficiently between the trails, feels like it's 1 climb / 1 downhill and repeat. A bit like bloemendal.

Eden/Gspot : Gspot on it's own wouldn't be that amazing if eden wasn't right next to it. I still have to discover the surroundings (coetzenberg/mont marie) and maybe this network will go up in my list

Hoogekraal / Tygerberg : I really like it, but once you've done it 100 times it's not that exciting anymore. Except for the rollercoaster at the end that is always a blast.

Bloemendal / Tygerberg

Meerendal / Tygerberg

Out of my classification :
- Paul Cluver that I don't know that great, I did the XCO race there last year and a marathon race 2 years ago, except for the stunning views I don't remember the downhill singletracks to be great fun, maybe I should go back ?
- Table mountain trails : I only know the granit slab by the cable car, that seemed fun despite being very short, the glen, missing link. None of these really blew my mind, maybe I should go back ?
- Boschendal I did one loop there once in the rain, I have the same idea of it as paul cluver, it's a nice adventure with great landscape, but not an epic/fun ride.
- Muratie did one enduro "fun race" there, had fun, but not enough to do the drive again
- Greyton great adventure, I'd go back there for a nice weekend away with friends with nice adventures on my bike. Not really for the epicness of the singletracks /// Don't think it classifies as "cape town surroundings"

Places I heard of but still haven't made a plan to go to :
- Paarl 
- Wellington (Actually I have done a marathon race there, but haven't been there for the singletracks really)

Edited by Jbr

Great list.  I would add:

Bottelary Hills.  Overall the best mountain biking in the Western Cape.

Banhoek.  Extend to the north-eastern side of the Banhoek river, starting with Nik-Naks

Boschendal - lots of excellent trails

Lots I haven't done yet:

Helderberg trails

Lebanon

And I am sure many more.

Andrew

Bottelary Hills.  Overall the best mountain biking in the Western Cape.

Awesome I'll ad it to my todo-list thanks !

Banhoek.  Extend to the north-eastern side of the Banhoek river, starting with Nik-Naks

I'm definitely going back, I'll try to do more next time

Boschendal - lots of excellent trails

Mmmh I did the black route but went to inferno instead of chicken & bull, I hoped I'd somehow get back to where the trail splits but it never happened... The only time I really had fun going downhill was back in the skillspark...

Which trails would you recommend there ?

Helderberg trails

Forgot I already rode there, I did a shuttle day on the enduro bike. It was fun, but doubt I'd do all the climbing necessary to get to the top of of those trails outside of a shuttle day :)

My top trails:

1. Jonkershoek (in order of preference)

- Status Quo

- Red Phoenix

- Iron Monkey

- Armageddon

- Fire Hut

- Plumber

Jonkers is really the only big mountain experience we have in SA. Bit of everything - slow tech (Status), fast and flowy (firehut, phoenix, iron monkey), natural (armageddon, plumber). I don't think there are better trails anywhere in SA. IMO, the closest we can get to heaven on earth.

2. Helderberg

Fast, steep, what's not to love?

3. Banhoek

Machine made flow trails and well sculpted jumps that make you feel much better than you are. And the climbs are pretty mellow. Fast becoming a favourite.

4. Eden / Mont Marie / Coetzenburg / G Spot

Again, a bit of everything - I love the natural trails rooty trails in Eden and rocky ones on Coetzenburg.

5. Tokai

Only been once, but it was awesome and I need to make an effort to get back.

6. Contermanskloof

Good fun, again a bit of everything there.

7. Oak Valley & Paul Cluver

Really lekker for a bit of distance and a more mellow ride. Love the 24hr event held at Oak Valley

8. Wannabees

Can't say the trails are anything to write home about, but it's on my doorstep so really nice for me to ride from home during the week when I don't have time on my side.

9. Bottelary

Again, not much to write home about - pretty mellow trails, but if you want distance with a good amount of climbing it does the trick nicely.

10. Ezelfontein

Only been once for Ezel Enduro - I still dream of those trails - absolutely amazing.

11. Tygerberm:

With the exception of Contermanskloof, a bit of a bore IMO.

12. Piket-bo berg

Absolutely amazing natural techy XC single track. You work for every km, but totally worth the effort. If you get a chance to ride there, take it.

13. Table Mountain

This is one of the places I seriously need to get to - been wanting to for years, but my local trails have kept me busy.

Edited by Grease_Monkey

So they say :

• Jonkerhoek
  • Tygerberg
  • Banhoek
  • Gspot-eden-mont marie-coetzenberg
  • Paul Cluver
  • Tokai

Have to say I'm surprised to see Tokai so low. There's so much you can do, I went three times and I still haven't done everything.

100% agree

Awesome I'll ad it to my todo-list thanks !

I'm definitely going back, I'll try to do more next time

Mmmh I did the black route but went to inferno instead of chicken & bull, I hoped I'd somehow get back to where the trail splits but it never happened... The only time I really had fun going downhill was back in the skillspark...

Which trails would you recommend there ? I think I did everything, but it was a few years ago.

Forgot I already rode there, I did a shuttle day on the enduro bike. It was fun, but doubt I'd do all the climbing necessary to get to the top of of those trails outside of a shuttle day :)

My top trails:

1. Jonkershoek (in order of preference)

- Status Quo

- Red Phoenix

- Iron Monkey

- Armageddon

- Fire Hut

- Plumber

Jonkers is really the only big mountain experience we have in SA. Bit of everything - slow tech (Status), fast and flowy (firehut, phoenix, iron monkey), natural (armageddon, plumber). I don't think there are better trails anywhere in SA. IMO, the closest we can get to heaven on earth.

2. Helderberg

Fast, steep, what's not to love?

3. Banhoek

Machine made flow trails and well sculpted jumps that make you feel much better than you are. And the climbs are pretty mellow. Fast becoming a favourite.

4. Eden / Mont Marie / Coetzenburg / G Spot

Again, a bit of everything - I love the natural trails rooty trails in Eden and rocky ones on Coetzenburg.

5. Tokai

Only been once, but it was awesome and I need to make an effort to get back.

6. Contermanskloof

Good fun, again a bit of everything there.

7. Oak Valley & Paul Cluver

Really lekker for a bit of distance and a more mellow ride. Love the 24hr event held at Oak Valley

8. Wannabees

Can't say the trails are anything to write home about, but it's on my doorstep so really nice for me to ride from home during the week when I don't have time on my side.

9. Bottelary

Again, not much to write home about - pretty mellow trails, but if you want distance with a good amount of climbing it does the trick nicely.

10. Ezelfontein

Only been once for Ezel Enduro - I still dream of those trails - absolutely amazing.

11. Tygerberm:

With the exception of Contermanskloof, a bit of a bore IMO.

12. Piket-bo berg

Absolutely amazing natural techy XC single track. You work for every km, but totally worth the effort. If you get a chance to ride there, take it.

13. Table Mountain

This is one of the places I seriously need to get to - been wanting to for years, but my local trails have kept me busy.

I agree, Jonkers is in its own league and has it all, the views, the climbs, the fast and flowy downhills, the slow and technical. Challenges for everyone

I must organise a ride in piket bo berg next time we drive up to cederberg !

I agree, Jonkers is in its own league and has it all, the views, the climbs, the fast and flowy downhills, the slow and technical. Challenges for everyone

I must organise a ride in piket bo berg next time we drive up to cederberg !

The Piket bo Berg trails are not open to the public. You can either ride it in the U, the Pike Bo Berg challenge, or hopefully they have another open weekend this year. Or maybe you know someone...

I have a good friend who farms in the area, when we go visit him we are lucky enough to get access to some of the trails. The only time I got to ride all the trails though was during the open weekend last year - it was amazing. The views, the trails, the whole experience. It is in a league of it's own when it comes to techy and natural marathon / xc riding. 

The Piket bo Berg trails are not open to the public. You can either ride it in the U, the Pike Bo Berg challenge, or hopefully they have another open weekend this year. Or maybe you know someone...

I have a good friend who farms in the area, when we go visit him we are lucky enough to get access to some of the trails. The only time I got to ride all the trails though was during the open weekend last year - it was amazing. The views, the trails, the whole experience. It is in a league of it's own when it comes to techy and natural marathon / xc riding. 

oh ok !

Trails I've ridden:

1. Jonkershoek - Armageddon always gets me a bit on the ragged edge, Red Phoenix is lekker flowy to me at least.

2. Contermanskloof - Black Rhino is lekker. 

2A. Hoogekraal (especially the skills park and Welvergenoegd)

3. Bloemendal - Bloemendaaler and Lombaard's Terra (because it is such a fun quick loop that can be done over and over and over again. It never gets old.

4. Bottelary Hills - for the distance that can be covered in scenery not quite the same as 'home' at TBMTB

5. Rheboks Kloof (Paarl) - good trail network with some fun techy bits thrown in with a mix of short steep climbs.

Trails I want to do:

All the rest, i.e. Tokai, Helderberg, Stellenbosch, Banhoek, Botma's Kop, Wellington, Paul Cluver, Table Mountain....too many to talk off. I am a creature of habit, and going solo is not always fun or prudent.

Edited by Robbie Stewart