Lefty 2.0 conversion from 100mm to 120mm?

guidodg

I would like to convert my Lefty 2.0 on my Scalpel Si from 100mm to 120mm ...have any of you tried it?

Looking at the tech specs and diagrams it seems like I need the following:

- damper KH187 [part I on diagram]
-5mm spacer #1
-longer stanchion protector [C]
- CK3467U0055 LEFTY 32 UPPER AIR SEAL 16MM, SHAFT 55MM [J on diagram]

post-6378-0-94020800-1614158793_thumb.png

post-6378-0-08451000-1614158804_thumb.png

haven't had mine modified yet but yes Its possible. Not sure if a new stanchion is also required which will make it a very expensive upgrade. Best to call Omnico and chat to Lionel or Steve Bowman

thanks for the reply,...stanchion seems the same except mine is carbon whereas the 120mmm Lefty only came out in the alu version...

thanks for the reply,...stanchion seems the same except mine is carbon whereas the 120mmm Lefty only came out in the alu version...

Not the chassis but the lower leg that slides in and out of the upper stationary body.

yes I know what a stanchion is:)

but you are right, I got confirmation that I also need the stanchion and it would be a 500 euro job here in Italy

When you add up the value of the required parts I think it's about 75% of the cost of a new lefty 2.0 120

I'd get a new fork

When you add up the value of the required parts I think it's about 75% of the cost of a new lefty 2.0 120

I'd get a new fork

Assuming you can get all the bits...

i was able to convert my 2014 carbon lefty to a 120mm 

when phoned and asked about the 2017 version i was told it was not possible

i was able to convert my 2014 carbon lefty to a 120mm

when phoned and asked about the 2017 version i was told it was not possible

Was the 2014 1.0 or 2.0?

Both 1.0 and 2.0 are possible to convert to 120mm. The problem with 2.0 is that you will need a new lower leg as well as the damper cartridge and PBR hardware.

All in you looking at a conversion cost of around R8kto R9k including labour. A new 2.0 120 is around R14k for the carbon.

1.0 didn't require the lower leg to be replaced as the same upper was used across all frame sizes and the SE model in the 2013 to 2016 MY. The 2.0 brought air spring and damper cartridge improvements that didn't allow the same stanchion to be used for the 120mm model.