Giro d' Italia 2021

'Dale

25 minutes ago, Jewbacca said:

Mohoric will be getting a few pats on the back this evening from Mader!

What a stage... so much to absorb

What were the results.I cant get on to Cycling News for some reason

• Replies 917
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

4 minutes ago, Kranswurm said:

What were the results.I cant get on to Cycling News for some reason

Mader won from the breakaway for Bahrain after Mohoric emptied himself for them/him up to the lower slopes of the last climb.

Valter in pink (and white), Nizzollo in purple, Mader in blue....

1 hour ago, Gen said:

I am sure he will be booted. 

They booted that woman driver who hit a rider off the road at the TdF a few years ago, so a precedent has been set to be booted

19 minutes ago, shaper said:

They booted that woman driver who hit a rider off the road at the TdF a few years ago, so a precedent has been set to be booted

Flecha must have had some flashbacks

8 hours ago, SwissVan said:

European towns and their roads are full of traffic “calming” and pedestrian “islands” which are not suitable for high speed pelotons 

They need to come up with a better way to warn riders in the peloton, the marshals with whistles is a good way but perhaps they need to have 2 marshals, one blows the whistle the whole time and the other waves the flag, at every piece of street furniture not just a select few.

Haven’t read beyond your post yet, so if there is a repeat, sorry.

The problem being in the peloton is that you can only see above helmet height. If the guys in the front don’t point it out, the guys in the middle won’t see anything. It’s the same with potholes… the front guys see it and those in the middle don’t. If there are traffic calming furniture, the UCI need to set a standard for race organizers to adhere to that prevents finishes from going through these zones. Boring finishes? Yes. Safe finishes? Yes. Giving everyone a fair chance to compete? Yes.

Yeah fully agree, it’s a massive issue, look at the Aerial footage to see how skew the barriers are! I mean just that alone causes waves in the peloton when a speed train is setting up a sprinter ????

@giroditalia After the impact @GreenEDGEteam car and the rider Serry @deceuninck_qst during stage 6 _  red car for the driver Gene Bates (exclusion from the race) and 2.000 CHF of sanction for Matthew White @cycling_podcast

Edited by Gen

Looks like Doug took 1 of the Mowbray Kaap taxi drivers with him this year!! Can't upload the video unfortunately, but what a shambles, straight into the back of another team car at a decent speed too.

20210513_202002.jpg

Wonder how many distraction there are inside the car? Race (tv) screen, race radios, team radio, stage details, etc. 

From twitface 

UCI jury verdict on the Bike Exchange/Pieter Serry crash: DS/driver Gene Bates excluded from the race. Team car will be relegated to last place in the convoy tomorrow and DS Matt White gets a CHF 2,000 fine

11 hours ago, Frosty said:

Wonder how many distraction there are inside the car? Race (tv) screen, race radios, team radio, stage details, etc. 

Yeah I agree, However the car crash was all the cars literally flooring it and no riders near them so nothing really for the driver to be distracted by.

14 hours ago, Frosty said:

Haven’t read beyond your post yet, so if there is a repeat, sorry.

The problem being in the peloton is that you can only see above helmet height. If the guys in the front don’t point it out, the guys in the middle won’t see anything. It’s the same with potholes… the front guys see it and those in the middle don’t. If there are traffic calming furniture, the UCI need to set a standard for race organizers to adhere to that prevents finishes from going through these zones. Boring finishes? Yes. Safe finishes? Yes. Giving everyone a fair chance to compete? Yes.

Agreed

i think tourism plays a role, the races are advertising for the regions and in some cases the opposite where the traffic authorities try keep the route restricted to minor roads, both cases result in less than safe routes which the UCI probably turn a blind eye to....

12 hours ago, Frosty said:

The guys driving these cars are experts at multitasking ????

ive watched a few races here in Europe and it’s scary watching them navigate the narrow twisty roads often with one hand on the wheel leaving the other hand free for other duties..... the cars are loaded up full have tv screens, radios, all the bikes and wheels on the roof, riders food and drinks, mechanics and more..... not for the faint hearted.

Maybe John Wakefield could post a few pics or give us first hand experiences ????

15 hours ago, Gen said:

@giroditalia After the impact @GreenEDGEteam car and the rider Serry @deceuninck_qst during stage 6 _  red car for the driver Gene Bates (exclusion from the race) and 2.000 CHF of sanction for Matthew White @cycling_podcast

Maybe it's just because OGE, (now bike exchange) just had the best youtube channel, but one of my overwhleming memories from following them is the amount of times the driver was doing about 4 things and driving the car wasn't on the podium of that list.

They even had ipads streaming the race on the dashboard.

i dunno if this is standard across the teams or even still now, but it doesn't surprise me to see them drive straight up a rider's bum.

edit:

took me all of 3 mins to find exactly what i was talking about on YT! 

Edited by Shebeen