Giro d' Italia 2021

'Dale

• Replies 917
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

3 hours ago, 'Dale said:

The little pocket rocket aims to win stages in all 3 Grand Tours apparently - a unique feat. So, understandably, he wants to check out, get back home to chill and prepare for the next challenge. 

Interesting season’s goal. ????

Maybe they should add a caveat that stage wins are only recognised if the rider completes the Tour, except for abandonment because of serious injury

119km to go and no break yet

Ewan has abandoned 

Edited by Gen

11 seasons or something since Cofidis won a stage in the Giro. The number of breakaway wins this week suggests that the GC hopefuls are noteful of week 3 where the road heads up to the heavens.

Tomorrow's stage. Starting with a climb so the trainers will be deployed. At sub 160 km, there'll be attacks and counterattacks. That'll warm me up, hey. ????

spacer.png

10 hours ago, Baldrick said:

Maybe they should add a caveat that stage wins are only recognised if the rider completes the Tour, except for abandonment because of serious injury

Yeah agreed. Unfortunately grand tour organizers don’t think like that.

Without diluting the efforts of the sprinters, it’s not fair for those that don’t cherrypick their races.

8 hours ago, Gen said:

Crazy start to the stage.. 

One of the best stages to watch ever imo, the first 60 km was like the last 10 km of a sprint stage

The thing is, his team are willing to pay for him to be there, withdraw him and use their ticket to the race to back him and THEIR plan.

Winning 2 stages at the Giro in one year is more than most teams will achieve, so why do they need punishment for achieving more than (I'd assume) three quarters of the teams in the race?

They targeted the 1st week of the race and it paid off. Clock out.

Guys have been doing it in an Olympic year forever.

I know Ewan was withdrawn with a knee niggle after 'the mystery of the tunnel' incident, but I still don't think he would have started today and definitely not the last week if their plan is to win stages at all the grand tours this year.

Winning pro races is massive. If they win 2 or 3 at each GT that will be immense. More stages in a year than 'our lot' have won since they were MTN Q.

9 hours ago, 'Dale said:

The little pocket rocket aims to win stages in all 3 Grand Tours apparently - a unique feat. So, understandably, he wants to check out, get back home to chill and prepare for the next challenge. 

Interesting season’s goal. ????

I do not agree with that practice.Mario and all the rest of the sprinters were guilty.

Slap gat.You enter an event you try an complete it.

He can chill on the bike

11 hours ago, SwissVan said:

One of the best stages to watch ever imo, the first 60 km was like the last 10 km of a sprint stage

Almost as good as THAT Vuelta stage or stage 10 of last year's Giro. 

22 hours ago, Baldrick said:

Agree with this - the gentlemanly way. The modern way is about bagging wins based on team goals and the team’s philosophy of racing (stage wins vs jersey comps). It won’t be the pocket rocket’s egotistical decision; it’s the team management decision.

2 hours ago, Gen said:

Today's finished 

20210516_105608.jpg

The gravel of Campo Felice. Apparently rougher than the white streets of Tuscany.

Asked who his cycling hero was when he was growing up, Attila Valter’s answer was Peter Sagan. I don’t think I’ve ever felt older.

- @irishpeloton