Giro d' Italia 2021

'Dale

• Replies 917
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Breakaway did really well today, super ride from both Cavagna(incl that spectacular bonk that reminded me of MVDP in Worlds) and Bettiol looked strong, especially on the climbs..motoring like the boss.

Cavagna did really well, I was so sure he would hang on, but then pop! 

Great win by Bettiol. 

Tomorrow we watch the GC contenders pulling out the knives on Bernal. Can he hang on, or will he crack like Yates did at his Giro. 

The mountains will decide. 

Edited by Vetplant

27 minutes ago, Frosty said:

Has the peloton come in yet? ⏲️

Not yet, Bru.

(watching the final 30 kms now, was out training)

Finishing at 1500ish altitude, the revised route after a cable car ???? incident (these are strange times). All eyes on the Maglia Rosa who showed a bit of fragility. I suspect he needed a gel or two rather. 

BDD42CDA-84E3-463D-A427-416FBB190F57.jpeg

23 minutes ago, 'Dale said:

Finishing at 1500ish altitude, the revised route after a cable car ???? incident (these are strange times). All eyes on the Maglia Rosa who showed a bit of fragility. I suspect he needed a gel or two rather. 

BDD42CDA-84E3-463D-A427-416FBB190F57.jpeg

Other than the 2 main descents , which will be fast and quick, uphill the whole route. Nowhere to hide tired legs today

11 minutes ago, Benjamin said:

Other than the 2 main descents , which will be fast and quick, uphill the whole route. Nowhere to hide tired legs today

I was just thinking that. They get ~20kms of 'respite' over 166kms. Incredible.

(Then I made the mistake of looking at tomorrows profile. That stage is no joke.)

33 minutes ago, Benjamin said:

Today's stage is not so bad, elevation wise. It's the VAM they ride at, that will make it harder.
It's up to the others to make it hard for Bernal. He just has to sit their wheel like another Columbian could do behind Froome.

Sagan been fined some swiss franks. UCI saying him and Bora were intimidating the riders they didn't want in the break. Anyone see the incident unfold?

12 minutes ago, Long Wheel Base said:

Sagan been fined some swiss franks. UCI saying him and Bora were intimidating the riders they didn't want in the break. Anyone see the incident unfold?

yes

19 hours ago, Chris_ said:

What is Sagan up to here?

For a fair while Bora were desperately trying to block the road. Much talking, and gesticulating. Sags almost rode into some Bardiani chap in attempt to cut him off.

*Cofidis targeted too, obv

Edited by Chris_

13 minutes ago, Long Wheel Base said:

Just seemed like a lot of finger pointing and riding more than 2 abreast at the front to stop any further breaks. Maybe some harsh words were said.

Speaking of Sagzz, this year could be one of the lowest ever points jersey tallies by the end. I suppose this speaks to the success of the breakaways (or route planning? dunno). 

I know I missed the middle week of Giro, but apart from one or two days in the beginning I feel like I've seen no sprinting. 

1 hour ago, Frosty said:

Today's stage is not so bad, elevation wise. It's the VAM they ride at, that will make it harder.
It's up to the others to make it hard for Bernal. He just has to sit their wheel like another Columbian could do behind Froome.

They are going to have to try and crack him to the point of implosion today and tomorrow. Just taking a couple of seconds here and there won't do it. Yates is more than 3mins behind Bernal.

On Wednesday, Bernal "cracked", but only lost roughly 1min to Yates. If Bernal plays this clever, he will be willing to give up some seconds to ensure he doesn't bleed minutes.