Giro d' Italia 2021

'Dale

• Replies 917
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

So Ganna's flat and Cavagna's OTB opens the door for someone else to take the stage. But realistically, who is left that might be able to contest for the win? Only Almeida makes me think possible TT victory. 

5 minutes ago, Vetplant said:

So Ganna's flat and Cavagna's OTB opens the door for someone else to take the stage. But realistically, who is left that might be able to contest for the win? Only Almeida makes me think possible TT victory. 

I can't believe Joao has enough energy left to win this. Surely....

If he does relatively well though theres a top 5, or 4 at a stretch, waiting on GC

On 5/4/2021 at 12:53 PM, 'Dale said:

Time to call the top 5 GC ????????

On 5/4/2021 at 1:05 PM, Vetplant said:

Evenepoel
Almeida
Bernal
George Bennet
Buchman

In that order :ph34r:

On 5/4/2021 at 4:56 PM, Frosty said:

I'm going to pick Bernal as the winner.

Then have 4 riders vying for the remaining podium places

• Bennett
  • Landa
  • Remco
  • Yates

Then a list of riders (I think) that will make the top 10 (also in alphabetical order).

• Almeida
  • Hindley
  • Martin
  • Nibali
  • Vlasov

Side note:

I see Remco has bib number 91, so he's the designated leader based on "tradition" of the number 1 listed rider on the start list. I don't think he'll finish in the top 5, but I'm going to put him there anyway based on his history (2018 was a good year) and desire to get back racing.

So, who called who for the top 5?

Bernal - what a classy athlete. He looks like he should be Matric in a school blazer and be highly competent in Natural Sciences and Pure Maths. 

He climbs like an angel, has the maturity to stay calm and compare while others where gaining time on the Maglia Rosa, and is as kind as a Tibetan monk. 

Chapeau! 2 Grand Tour wins in 4 starts, one being a domestique and the other struggling with injury. 

The ongoing trend of a generation of younger riders dominating the 3 week race is continuing to blow up all norms and traditions in this tough sport. 

53 minutes ago, Frosty said:

So, who called who for the top 5?

Almeida beat Bernal by 1m26 in today's stage, but missed going 5th on GC by less than a second. ????

Hard to believe that he has not won a race yet in the Pro Peloton. 

Would love to see him win some stages to get the backing to go into a Stage Race as the protected rider for GC. Can't put my finger on it, but there is something there that I really like about him. 

One of the defining pics of this beautiful Giro. I only noticed now how the breakout GC oke in Caruso was staring (not much to see when in the red) at Martinez while he was encouraging the maglia rosa. What a ride from the Bahrain Victorious domestique-turned-GC-contender.

*summarily flicks channel to Dauphiné*

Pic: Getty Images Sport

spacer.png

Edited by 'Dale