Mudguards

LBKloppers

Guys and galls of the mountain biking fraternity

It has been a while that I have been struggling with this dilemma and I wouldn’t mind an in depth discussion on the matter.

At home in South Africa, I have a very nice Scott Spark 710 plus with 11/2 speed Shimano XT kit throughout. South Africans will know the type of terrain and weather we face throughout the year in the Swartland, but for the others, its mostly dry and rocky with a patch of sand thrown in every now and then. During the wet winter season it becomes damp(unless one ride while it is still raining), rocky, mud pools with a patch of sand every now and then. The bike came with a perfectly made and matched mudguard that bolts onto my Fox 34 and it does not prevent mud or dust collect on the stanchions! It looks nice, but that is all.

At work in Tanzania, I ride a solid but heavy Titan Elite Plus with 10/2 speed SLX kit. In Tanzania there are 2 seasons. Dry and wet. When it is dry, it is DRY! you don’t have dust, you have powder and that powder gets in everywhere. When its wet on the other hand its mud everywhere! Black, tyre sucking clay that gets stuck on everything and it builds up until no riding is possible until excess mud is removed manually. I have tried several of those aftermarket plastic megafters to the fork. Again it fails to function as a mudguard. The stanchions get full of dust or mud, whatever the season and as far as I am concerned, these need to be kept clear of any grime. I even Mcgyver-ed. something similar into the seat post and chain stays to attempt keeping the grime of the chain and the crank, but I have to admit it does not work.

Now I understand that as a market where costs could be recovered, South Africa is generally considered too small, but is the mountain biking lads and lasses in wet, soggy Europe or anywhere else where it is wet happy with this rubbish? I have noticed some more tyre hugging types of aftermarket guards on the overseas markets, but does it really work and will it stand the test of African conditions? I don’t know and I cannot comment on them simply because I have never seen a similar type on the market in South Africa.

There is the matter of appearance. Some people just would not like a mudguard on the pride and joy simply because it could look ugly (feel free to add your own dislike), but then it will be a choice. I am after something functional. I do not have a LBS around the corner to take my bike for repairs. I have to carry what I want in my luggage through airports and checkpoints AND if a season like 2020 and C19 occurs, I am busted for spares. Reliability and endurance of my kit is of utmost importance. Therefore if I can install anything to extend the rate by which my gear wear down, I will be in a happy place.

Am I alone?

Mudguards help a lot in keeping Mud and Dirty water off your Face.

No it does not. By the time the front mudguard catch debris, most of it has flown up past the down-tube and into your face. The geometry is wrong. It only catches the mud when it gets to the fork.

Are you looking at keeping the groupset clean? That's what I gathered from your post, not so much your clothes etc. 

If that's the case, I think the best you can do for the groupset is a really good wet weather lubricant. When your ride is done, or when it gets too muddy, then just rinse it off with your water bottle or hose. 

With regards to brakes, the northern hemisphere guys use metal pads as resin just doesn't work as well when it's wet and muddy.