Jonkershoek fire 2021

Zawillow

who's that oke running on the trails when it's closed?

It was rather big fire this time ...  Luckily the wind stopped for a day or two and they managed to keep fire at bay .. we had ash raining down for a few days, but fire got stopped before buring to badly on blaauklippen side (our side). Seems like jonkers took the major brunt of things.

Here video of what looking like at moment

Foto of one evening when it popped over, they stopped it during night/morning.

attachicon.gifjonkersfire01.JPG

• Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

can someone explain to me why they don't just donate the money - like they have in the past (and for that I am grateful)? 

It just sounds like they are doing the KFC thing of adding a rand to your R20 meal and then saying that they are giving to charity, when they made R8 profit on the meal in the first place (just my thumbsuck figures, but you get the gist).

Just seems like they are trying to boost sales to their shop on the back of a disaster, uh mean multiple single  transaction R200k+ purchases gets run through their credit card machine whenever a news SWorks is launched.

I am more than happy to be wrong here.

The way I read it they will donate R200k + R100k. In order for that to happen they need certain amount of sales. Nothing wrong with that, I'm pretty sure they don't just have R300k lying around. The money has to come from somewhere. 

I support it 100% and reckon its tremendously generous.  

who's that oke running on the trails when it's closed?

He was running on hiking trails .. not part of MTO as far i'm aware.  but ja.. get what you trying to say.

Guys, money for the trail system is money for the trail system. Let's not stare a gift horse in the mouth.

I'm no Spez fanboy, but I am a Jonkershoek fanboy. So anyone that is contributing towards these trails being fixed has my full support.

Edited by Grease_Monkey

can someone explain to me why they don't just donate the money - like they have in the past (and for that I am grateful)? 

It just sounds like they are doing the KFC thing of adding a rand to your R20 meal and then saying that they are giving to charity, when they made R8 profit on the meal in the first place (just my thumbsuck figures, but you get the gist).

Just seems like they are trying to boost sales to their shop on the back of a disaster, uh mean multiple single  transaction R200k+ purchases gets run through their credit card machine whenever a news SWorks is launched.

I am more than happy to be wrong here.

It is massively generous of them as the shop. Using the KFC example, they giving the full R 21 to Jonkershoek and paying Specialized R 12 for the stock out of their own pocket.

Edited by Baracuda

Guys, money for the trail system is money for the trail system. Let's not stare a gift horse in the mouth.

I'm no Spez fanboy, but I am a Jonkershoek fanboy. So anyone that is contributing towards these trails being fixed has my full support.

JIP

And as have been said already ... WHERE are the other brands:

- Scott

- Giant (granted they have committed to assisting Tygerberg trails for 2021)

- Titan

- etc ....

BRILLIANT initiative from Specialized  (from a Giant rider)

QUESTION - those of us close to Specialized Tygerberg, can we spend our money here and still help this initiative ? (nope, not on Facebook... so cant ask there)

Spez have been paying (at least) 200k per anum towards the trails for more years than I can remember.

The climbing trail (biggest gamechanger ever) IRISH is called IRISH because Bobby Behan is Irish.

Realistically, MTO have been spending HEAPS recently, but they wouldn't have had the platform to build on without Spez and their continued funding.

Thanks Bobby. You legend.

Spez have been paying (at least) 200k per anum towards the trails for more years than I can remember.

The climbing trail (biggest gamechanger ever) IRISH is called IRISH because Bobby Behan is Irish.

Realistically, MTO have been spending HEAPS recently, but they wouldn't have had the platform to build on without Spez and their continued funding.

:thumbup:

Haters gonna hate. I am all for supporting this generous offer by Specialized. So many people first bemoan some (not-so) hidden agenda, but will have absolutely no qualms about riding the trails that sprout from this initiative.

I call for the Jonkershoek trails to be henceforth closed to all non-Spez riders once they reopen again... :ph34r: :whistling: 

JIP

And as have been said already ... WHERE are the other brands:

- Scott

- Giant (granted they have committed to assisting Tygerberg trails for 2021)

- Titan

- etc ....

BRILLIANT initiative from Specialized (from a Giant rider)

QUESTION - those of us close to Specialized Tygerberg, can we spend our money here and still help this initiative ? (nope, not on Facebook... so cant ask there)

Story time:

A couple of years back spez SA put many bakkie loads of cash into Jonkers, but they didn't put any branding on any trails or anywhere.

Then Scott SA put massive Scott branding on the coffee shop at the trailhead. Guerilla marketing.

Spez called them out and invited them to put some money into the trail building effort instead of just paying the coffee shop for branding. Scott declined, and pretty soon spez branding appeared at the trails, rightly so.

The coffee shop folded and the Scott branding went away. Spez still puts bakkie loads of cash into the trails, but also supports the trail builders, and Bobby Behan was pivotal in starting up the Stellenbosch Trail Fund.

Edit: my timeline wrt the branding is wonky, but I still feel that the Spez branding in Jonkershoek is warranted, and if other brands want branding there, then it should go hand in hand with trail funding.

Edited by PhilipV

Story time:

A couple of years back spez SA put many bakkie loads of cash into Jonkers, but they didn't put any branding on any trails or anywhere.

Then Scott SA put massive Scott branding on the coffee shop at the trailhead. Guerilla marketing.

Spez called them out and invited them to put some money into the trail building effort instead of just paying the coffee shop for branding. Scott declined, and pretty soon spez branding appeared at the trails, rightly so.

The coffee shop folded and the Scott branding went away. Spez still puts bakkie loads of cash into the trails, but also supports the trail builders, and Bobby Behan was pivotal in starting up the Stellenbosch Trail Fund.

2 things

Grease has some time to think about that plumber drop.

Second, please check if they've got medium swat bibs in stock...

I love me some KFC in my spaz bips

I've run (cycled) into him many times on that that very trail. He's always incredibly friendly despite not knowing me from a bar of soap. From our brief chat once on Irish, I reckon he was well honored that they named that trail after him. 

Thanks for all the efforts that you (Bobby, Specialized, STF, trail builders, and countless others) have put into our trails and for how much you have helped progress the sport of mountain biking in SA. I can only imagine how you and everyone who have helped build the Stellenbosch trails must feel after the fire swept through there again.

Hello Everyone,

It's Bobby Behan here from Specialized.

I just saw the post and agree that our messaging needs to be clarified. 

For little over a decade we (Specialized) have straight-up donated money to Jonkershoek without really pulling the community into feeling a part of it. Many asked how they can be part of it. Given the seriousness of the situation this past weekend we had to quickly figure out on Monday how to go about this and turn it around. We were going to contribute money regardless!

If you go to The Specialized-Stellenbosch Store and buy something the entire retail value of that sale will go to the trails to a maximum of ZAR 300,000. The product you purchase does not need to be a Specialized Product. You might like some lube, a pair of Oakley's, some components, Leatt products, a bicycle service etc. I reiterate ... there are no hidden margins. It is retail for retail. We transfer the entire retail price paid to the trails. The store is contributing and covering the cost, not head office.

For me personally, Jonkershoek is certainly a passion project. I have been working on this since 2009 long before I worked for Specialized here in South Africa and will continue to do so. I don't have to buy a bicycle every few years so that at least helps me justify my personal contribution :)

Generally each year Specialized pay 150k towards the trails. In 2020 this represented 25% of the total spend, however, in normal years this is 12-15%. In addition, on a voluntary basis, I help trail builder Bennet Nel/MTO with the administration and planning around the trails, the back-end work. I like spreadsheets ... Bennet hates them :) I enjoy doing this and working with Bennet. I just got positive news this morning, thanks to Giniel de Villiers, that Toyota will contribute 150k. More to follow on this ...

The branding really helps justify the spend. For years we were paying without doing anything, it was more like Bobby's passion project which is also not right. We opted to erect the branding for this reason. For clarity the branding was up before the coffee shop story.

Thanks for all of your support. Please drop me an email should you require any further clarity (bobby.behan@specialized.com).

Great stuff Spesh. Here's hoping for a speedy reopening of JH. The actual best MTB trail destination in SA ( Not Karkloof :-) )