Jonkershoek fire 2021

Zawillow

The branding really helps justify the spend. For years we were paying without doing anything, it was more like Bobby's passion project which is also not right. We opted to erect the branding for this reason. For clarity the branding was up before the coffee shop story.

Surely another reason to justify the spend is that, without great trails, people wont be buying fancy trail bikes. So it's an investment that comes back to the bike companies. People buy expensive bikes because they live near a trail mecca. No mecca, fewer sales. It's just a pity that it's only specialized that have made that investment and effort and not the others as well! Still much appreciated though.   

• Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The helicopter in the pics is the Sikorsky UH-60 Black Hawk. Mark Jackson and his company Leading Edge Aviation is contracted by Working on Fire to assist in the Western Cape during fire season (other part of the year they are at home base in Nelspruit). They are using the Black Hawk (appropriately also known as the Fire Hawk) as well as Hueys (Bell UH-1).

So, no the helicopter did not come from the American boats.

See someone would know.

Thanks for the info.

See someone would know.

Thanks for the info.

It's parked at Stellenbosch aerodrome.

I've spent many a weekend morning there with my kids, the restaurant keeps parents happy, the lawn and aeroplanes keep the kids (and the kid in me) happy.

I know they cannot work around our schedule, but will happily swing a shovel and cut down some foliage over a few weekends instead of rides. I was planning on being in Jonkershoek on Saturday mornings for the foreseeable future anyway :)

Volunteering on the weekend may be better for most of us. Doesn't need to be this weekend, just when they ready. And a I suppose with guidance or we may build a Rampage course with a half-pipe in the middle... and a ski-lift ...and a pub half way down.

Edited by Baracuda

Hello Everyone,

It's Bobby Behan here from Specialized.

I just saw the post and agree that our messaging needs to be clarified.

For little over a decade we (Specialized) have straight-up donated money to Jonkershoek without really pulling the community into feeling a part of it. Many asked how they can be part of it. Given the seriousness of the situation this past weekend we had to quickly figure out on Monday how to go about this and turn it around. We were going to contribute money regardless!

If you go to The Specialized-Stellenbosch Store and buy something the entire retail value of that sale will go to the trails to a maximum of ZAR 300,000. The product you purchase does not need to be a Specialized Product. You might like some lube, a pair of Oakley's, some components, Leatt products, a bicycle service etc. I reiterate ... there are no hidden margins. It is retail for retail. We transfer the entire retail price paid to the trails. The store is contributing and covering the cost, not head office.

For me personally, Jonkershoek is certainly a passion project. I have been working on this since 2009 long before I worked for Specialized here in South Africa and will continue to do so. I don't have to buy a bicycle every few years so that at least helps me justify my personal contribution :)

Generally each year Specialized pay 150k towards the trails. In 2020 this represented 25% of the total spend, however, in normal years this is 12-15%. In addition, on a voluntary basis, I help trail builder Bennet Nel/MTO with the administration and planning around the trails, the back-end work. I like spreadsheets ... Bennet hates them :) I enjoy doing this and working with Bennet. I just got positive news this morning, thanks to Giniel de Villiers, that Toyota will contribute 150k. More to follow on this ...

The branding really helps justify the spend. For years we were paying without doing anything, it was more like Bobby's passion project which is also not right. We opted to erect the branding for this reason. For clarity the branding was up before the coffee shop story.

Thanks for all of your support. Please drop me an email should you require any further clarity (bobby.behan@specialized.com).

Thanks to Specialized ... This is a amazing gesture ... Should be appreciated by all.

We build trails in Hogsback that I fund myself ( passion project)

I know the monetary costs and time that goes into trail building.

So shout out to Bobby and Specialized .

Long live Jonkershoek trails , one of the best excuses to visit Stellies!

Ps. My turbo levo is the bomb up and down the "steapish" trails.

Keep in mind, the fire not all bad, every few years a fire is required to support the growth of Fynbos. Dont think Jonkers had a fire in more than 10 years, so not all bad. 

https://www.kbrc.org.za/news/fynbos-and-fire/#:~:text=Fire%20acts%20as%20mineralizing%20agent,certain%20period%20after%20the%20fire.

The issue for me is less about the fynbos and more about the trees - the existing forest with the climb up to Saaltjie and then the young trees up the Irish climb. The fynbos and bush will grow back, but it'll take years for the trees to grow (assuming there is a will to plant new ones).

Judging by the image below (red is the unburnt vegetation) it looks like the forest may have been saved to a degree. I could be wrong though. 

High res image available at https://t.co/OfbnX63Bak?amp=1 

post-141694-0-75989100-1614756445_thumb.jpg

Keep in mind, the fire not all bad, every few years a fire is required to support the growth of Fynbos. Dont think Jonkers had a fire in more than 10 years, so not all bad. 

https://www.kbrc.org.za/news/fynbos-and-fire/#:~:text=Fire%20acts%20as%20mineralizing%20agent,certain%20period%20after%20the%20fire.

There was a pretty severe fire in Jonkershoek in 2015 too unfortunately.  Well I'm pretty sure it was 2015. I live here and should know. All I can remember is that it was "a few years back" and it was pretty damn bad. This last one was a bit worse though. Definitely no earlier than 2015. 

"Fires that occur too often can in fact destroy seed banks as some species take 5 to 6 years to mature and shed seeds. Fires can thus reduce biodiversity, cause erosion and the death or migration of important pollinators and predators. Generally speaking, fires should occur between 10-25 years to ensure species richness. The best way to describe an optimum time between fires is a time when 50% of the population of the slowest maturing species in a given area has flowered for at least 3 successive seasons."

Last big one was in 2015.

But bear in mind that Jonkershoek has an MTO Plantation, and we ride on the MTO part of Jonkers. Bigger picture....

The hiking trails deep in the valley is part of CapeNature. Those are mostly fynbos. Different story, but still too soon.

Edited by PhilipV

mmmm I cannot see the number on that Heli - but it does not look like your usual ones. Is it perhaps off the american boats in the harbour ?

That's the Black Hawk from Leading Edge aviation. Based in Nelspruit and down here for the Cape fire season.

EDIT *** see someone else answered before, sorry

Edited by Alouette3

Any idea on the weight these things can lift? I have watched the Hueys and they are damn cool. Saw the Black Hawks many moons ago when an aircraft carrier was near Cape Town. Just fun to watch. Wish I had the ability to drive one.

They rated to almost 4 Ton on the hook. Think they running a 3000 litre bucket with split load release.

Huey only runs a 1000 litre bucket.

They rated to almost 4 Ton on the hook. Think they running a 3000 litre bucket with split load release.

Huey only runs a 1000 litre bucket.

yeah max payload is around 4.2T so a 3KL bucket would make sense

mmmm I cannot see the number on that Heli - but it does not look like your usual ones. Is it perhaps off the american boats in the harbour ?

there is just one boat. and it is the ugliest floating thing i have ever laid mine eyes on.

https://seapowermagazine.org/navy-to-commission-expeditionary-sea-base-uss-hershel-woody-williams/#:~:text=The%20future%20Hershel%20%E2%80%9CWoody%E2%80%9D%20Williams,Jima%20during%20World%20War%20II.