Jonkershoek fire 2021

Zawillow

I see Jonkers has been closed for the weekend due to the fire that's been going for the last few days (I think it came over from Franschoek side). Does anyone have any idea of the severity of the fire - has it hit the forested area that has the the jeep track up to Saaltjie?

• Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I see Jonkers has been closed for the weekend due to the fire that's been going for the last few days (I think it came over from Franschoek side). Does anyone have any idea of the severity of the fire - has it hit the forested area that has the the jeep track up to Saaltjie?

It is a NASTY fire.

And with the strong winds it is continually spreading ....  and no letting up of this weather for a good few days still.  

The fire is already in Stellenbosch - the whole Stellenbosch mountain above Coetzenberg is also on fire. Jonkershoek is probably done for.

Reminds me of the fire 12 years or so ago with the ash raining down in town. I’m still hoping they managed to save the forest area in Jonkers. Now I’m worried about Eden Forest. Fire is after all our cycling trails.

This is just devastating for all the people living there. Also for the poor wildlife.

Much less importantly it seems likely that those trails are going to be off-limits for some time to come.

Edited by Robbie Stewart

Update: Stellenbosch and Jonkershoek today:

This is todays active fire areas .

You have use the filter function , otherwise it indicates the last 48hrs of fire area974ef3d0b2f429ac101f6bd78d69090f.jpg

Hectic stuff. Coming down hospital bend around 13h30 and looking over to that side............. all I saw was a blanket of smoke.

Smelling the smoke in Bellville ... some 40km from the fire.

Odd bit of ash sifting down here ....

Was amazing to see the response teams sorting out tje fires that flared up on helshoogte while we rode over it... Those fire choppers were amazing, even in the wind... Holding thumbs this gets under control asap...