Please help me identify this snake at Big Red Barn

Steady Spin

We were also at BRB today. Was in a group with 4 kids - they would have crapped their pants.

What were you riding?

We started around 10:00. Didn’t see a single other person riding. We were however mostly on the #1 route

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

We rode the flow track at Big Red Barn on route 2 this past Sunday, and almost at the end, a rinkals joins us on the trail. 100% sure of the ID, for as it flattened its hood at us and stood up, the white bands on the neck in the air was blatantly obvious.

I’ll skip the flow track for a while after that incident. At least until my heart rate recovers.

Edited by thinusjvrs

We rode the flow track at Big Red Barn on route 2 this past Sunday, and almost at the end, a rinkals joins us on the trail. 100% sure of the ID, for as it flattened its hood at us and stood up, the white bands on the neck in the air was blatantly obvious.

I’ll skip the flow track for a while after that incident. At least until my heart rate recovers.

????

Just above flow track are two lines running back to the start of the section. We hopped from the middle line to the top and my partner still joked saying “you go first and check for snakes”

Not doing that again.

We started around 10:00. Didn’t see a single other person riding. We were however mostly on the #1 route

Oh OK. We were long gone by then.

Use the ASI app (AFRICAN snakebite institution) it's very good and the responses are generally quite fast.

Put in your location and maybe more than one pic (stills in this case) and submit.

Edited by Gen

Use the ASI app (AFRICAN snakebite institution) it's very good and the responses are generally quite fast.

Put in your location and maybe more than one pic (stills in this case) and submit.

Thanks Gen.

I mostly feel terrible for maybe riding over it with my back wheel. In my infinite wisdom I stopped and went looking for it.

My GoPro’s quality is really not great and this was the best shot I could capture from the video.

Thanks Gen.

I mostly feel terrible for maybe riding over it with my back wheel. In my infinite wisdom I stopped and went looking for it.

My GoPro’s quality is really not great and this was the best shot I could capture from the video.

Yeah probably best not to go look for a snake if you haven't been able to identify it.. But they are experts so if they have your location and that pic will be good enough for them to be able to identify... Also handy if you need a someone to remove a snake.

That app is very helpful I've learnt a lot from it.. They also have a Facebook page.. I quite like scrolling through it to try an learn to identify.

Edited by Gen

• 1 month later...

I’ve had a couple of encounters with snakes at BRB, one down by the reeds section, brown snake, was pretty aggressive, came across the trail and tried to give me a go, but I made it past. Then heading down route 3 near the start before the first bridge/jumps, I’m convinced it was a Mozambican Cobra based on the colouring, but likely a Rinkhals. I was ahead of my wife and came flying past, heard movement on my left to see this thing reared up ready to strike. Made it past, I stopped a bit further down to call out to my wife, then it flattened down and headed up next to the trail straight for her. Who I might add was super uncooperative when I shouted to her to stop. Luckily our friend veered of to the right into the brush, no harm no foul...Centurion and surrounds is actually well known for snakes, ask any property developers.

The feedback from ASI is that my snake appears to be a snouted cobra.

BRB is getting scary . I keep hearing things in the bushes.

yoh yoh yoh. At least here in Cape Town we only have one cobra species to contend with. It probably doesn't help that it's venom is right up there with the mamba in toxicity.

Funny though that so far I have only ever come across either cobra's or mole snakes on the trails. I know we also have a prevalence of boom slang and various adders, but all I ever see are the two big fellas.

The feedback from ASI is that my snake appears to be a snouted cobra.

BRB is getting scary . I keep hearing things in the bushes.

when we were there 2 weeks back I also kept hearing things in the bushes, and then finishing the second loop a group of dog walkers stopped and a lady came walking back in the opposite direction saying there was a snake blocking the path but someone was already removing it.

Dont know what it was as it was gone by the time we got there.

• 1 month later...
On 4/13/2021 at 8:20 AM, ouzo said:

when we were there 2 weeks back I also kept hearing things in the bushes, and then finishing the second loop a group of dog walkers stopped and a lady came walking back in the opposite direction saying there was a snake blocking the path but someone was already removing it.

Dont know what it was as it was gone by the time we got there.

Was actually thinking of going there this weekend to ride, not be in Anaconda 4. Think ill head somewhere else...

28 minutes ago, Steady Spin said:

Snakes everywhere in GP now. Last 10 rides there were completely uneventful 

This ain't me...

image.png.2cbfae2e8de548794d95a8f82f2a3777.png

Snakes hibernate during winter right ? Its getting pretty cold in the early mornings here