Jaws677

That is really scary when you look at the attitudes on that thread. Those type of drivers are all over our roads, no use arguing with them on this, they have their minds made up.

Been 2nd guessing my road riding for a while now. Might be time to call it a day and commit to Zwift and MTB parks.

Don't be surprised if you see my road bike in the Classifieds in the next couple of weeks.

Relax, it's the 4x4 community. Don't expect them to to understand nor care.

Their attitudes are the same as the mommies on Facebook and the manne around the tea trolley at work.

If you cycle on the roads, then you are vulnerable. If you ride 2+ abreast or with a support car then someone WILL be mad at you.

Dis maar een van daai dinge, and if you ignore them, then they can't steal your joy.

Edited by PhilipV

Relax, it's the 4x4 community. Don't expect them to to understand nor care.

Their attitudes are the same as the mommies on Facebook and the manne around the tea trolley at work.

If you cycle on the roads, then you are vulnerable. If you ride 2+ abreast or with a support car then someone WILL be mad at you.

Dis maar een van daai dinge, and if you ignore them, then they can't steal your joy.

I'm a cyclist, but also a motorist.

If I see cyclists riding 2+ abrest on the road, I will also be mad. Its illegal, it holds up other road users and shows the entitlement of those cyclists that they own the road.

Even dirt roads are public roads and the rules apply there too.

I am not sure of the circumstances that lead to the comments in the OPs link, but I wonder how angry the guy would have been if the support vehicle had moved over and the cyclists moved into single file. (maybe they did and he is just being an idiot)

Edited by Eugene

Old news:

- people are unreasonably angry.

New news:

- I can't believe some people have enough energy to be members of multiple forums.

- why don't bike hubbers list their bikes in their signature?

I understand the anger. it still surprises me that people are then prepared to weaponise their vehicle, or threaten to do so. The second part is unacceptable in most first world countries.

it still surprises me that people are then prepared to weaponise their vehicle, or threaten to do so. The second part is unacceptable in most first world countries.

That is what scares me.

Specifically the people like the guy that used his Landy to push them from 3 abreast to the single file, forcing one of the guys off the road completely.

That is what scares me.

Specifically the people like the guy that used his Landy to push them from 3 abreast to the single file, forcing one of the guys off the road completely.

What he doesn't write is that his landies brakes haven't worked properly in years and that there is a dent in his firewall from him pumping his brakes before every stop. But he isn't sues Wether it is brake oil or engine oil in his driveway, because he doesn't know where to put in either of these and the Landy dealership in Sandton told him that everything is fine.

couple ow weeks ago on R44 to Stellenbosch there was a bunch in the yellow line, which is fine, but their safety car was blocking the slow lane @30 forcing all traffic into the fast lane. annoying motorists wont help the cycle safety cause

I consider myself blessed to stay where I do. We have the odd grumpy motorist, but most of them are considerate. A friendly honk every now and then, followed by a wave (from us) and the popular “thank you hazards” after they passed us. I feel for the cyclists in the busy JHB suburbs and north of the CBD. As for truck drivers, there should be more of them and less grumpy motorists; we had one, two weeks ago, ride behind us up a 2km long 5% gradient because he though it was too dangerous to overtake on the uphill. We all thanked him as we eventually came passed, and he “hooted” to each wave.

We do ride two abreast, with a car following us on most rides. If it’s a single lane with no shoulder, we’ll ride single file but still have the car ride behind us, who tries to keep as far left as possible. Most of our routes though are planned around roads with a hard shoulder, or on quieter roads.

Out of curiosity, what’s the purpose of the “safety” car?

To protect the riders or....?

in 33 yrs of road riding I cannot recall any reason to have a safety car, once I had to call my SOH to come pick me up.... but that was off-road with a burped tubeless that I could not get the inflated again.....

It’s convenient:

1. Some form of safety, not having to continually look behind;

2. Mechanicals happen, like a mate today (40Km from home, a gator couldn’t salvage a worn tyre). Also prevents asking his wife (and 5 month old) to drive 80km while the group waits (not safe in some places on your ace);

3. Sometimes crashes require a trip to hospital; much quicker to drive there immediately than wait for a lift/ambulance;

4. Long rides can be more bearable with backup nutrition and hydration in the car. Winter in SA is cold early on and warm after the sun has been up for a few hours (gear and lights can be kept in the car).

Not all rides have a backup car, and not all rides use the car when it’s there.

It’s convenient:

1. Some form of safety, not having to continually look behind;

2. Mechanicals happen, like a mate today (40Km from home, a gator couldn’t salvage a worn tyre). Also prevents asking his wife (and 5 month old) to drive 80km while the group waits (not safe in some places on your ace);

3. Sometimes crashes require a trip to hospital; much quicker to drive there immediately than wait for a lift/ambulance;

4. Long rides can be more bearable with backup nutrition and hydration in the car. Winter in SA is cold early on and warm after the sun has been up for a few hours (gear and lights can be kept in the car).

Not all rides have a backup car, and not all rides use the car when it’s there.

TBH it sounds like a luxury and the manne are getting soft  :whistling:

Yeah i know... different times and places nowadays...i dont think i would ride on the roads around Jozi anymore

https://community.bikehub.co.za/topic/188296-have-the-roads

Edited by SwissVan

TBH it sounds like a luxury and the manne are getting soft  :whistling:

Yeah i know... different times and places nowadays...i dont think i would ride on the roads around Jozi anymore

https://community.bikehub.co.za/topic/188296-have-the-roads

I don't ride on the road except for short sections between MTB trails and on one, this Saturday, with no yellow line area at all, the taxis etc are very scary. 1.5m se gat; more like 1.5mm.

Better soft than dead or mangled.

Ive seen that car following guys up the Krugersdorp Hospital hill (Sterkfontein)....most guys in their cars will try their luck and gap it round the riders as soon as possible...bit sketchy.....

Ive also seen a guy on a motorbike following the riders...that seems a better idea?