Edge 520 + iphone combo

rickus.jooste

Hi, 

I have an Edge 520 paired with an iphone 12 mini. 

During my rides the edge just randomly's disconnects from the phone and then reconnects. 

The livetrack never works, maybe 5 mins or so and then nothing. 

Does anybody else have this same combo of devices and issues ? 

I can't find anything on garmin forums really, some people have the same issue but no real solution from garmin is forthcomming. 

I dug and EDGE 25 out of the closet this morning. Livetrack worked perfectly. 

Probably a software issue with the 520. Just wait for the next update or try to go back to the previous version and test.

I gave up on my Garmin 945 with the iPhone, it just never worked. Reboot, reinstall, repeat whatever. The 5 minutes of hope with each firmware update that turns into disappointment..

Since I switched to a Samsung S21 it's been perfect all the time.

Edited by Showtime

I've got a 520 paired with my iPhone 8, both on latest SW versions. Livetrack works as promised, starts automatically and for 99% of rides stays connected the whole ride, although now and again on a MTB ride it does disconnect if we go through areas with poor mobile signal.

In December I got taken out by a taxi and the Garmin/iPhone combination informed my emergency contacts perfectly even though I was unconscious at the time. Grateful for that!

It wasn't always like this - a couple of versions back of Garmin SW I found Livetrack unusable unless I manually started it for each ride.

Yo, that is a proper good advertisment for garmin and the incident detection. 

I found a random article somewhere on the internet that says the garmin edge has a weird way of handling the storage system. If your storage space reaches it's capacity by way of all the activities and course etc that you accumulate , it frees up space on the fly. This causes some issues appartnley and manifest itself in weird ways. 

so i formatted the garmin in windows, FAT fily system with GARMIN as the device label. 

Initial testing has some promising results...

This sort-of-solution has no explanation for the android / garmin combo though.

Anyway...worth a try if you are frustrated and confused like i am. 

I've got a 520 paired with my iPhone 8, both on latest SW versions. Livetrack works as promised, starts automatically and for 99% of rides stays connected the whole ride, although now and again on a MTB ride it does disconnect if we go through areas with poor mobile signal.

In December I got taken out by a taxi and the Garmin/iPhone combination informed my emergency contacts perfectly even though I was unconscious at the time. Grateful for that!

It wasn't always like this - a couple of versions back of Garmin SW I found Livetrack unusable unless I manually started it for each ride.