Can I put my 12 spd mtb on the kickr with a 11 spd road casette?

Rudolf Lamprecht

On our kickr (second hand, no spacers etc) we have a 11spd castte that the wife's roadbike sits on. Can I fit my 12 spd mtb (boost) on the same casette? I was given one of them 142/148 spacers by a friend, saying I should check it out. But something doesnt fit.

I interchange both my road bike and my 12 Speed MTB on the trainer. Yes you need to put in the left triangle adapter, then you unscrew the one on the right that is in the cassette (meant for the road bike) and you screw in the one for the MTB. 

If you have a newer XTR shifter on your MTB then you can switch 11 and 12 speed, but I don't think the spacing (boost vs non-boost vs road) is going to work in your favor.

You'll need to change the spacers, freehub and cassette to swap between 11 and 12spd.

I have used a few 12spd bikes on 11spd trainers to fit people. You can pedal slowly at low/medium power without a problem but as soon as you push a little then it's all skipping crunching hell.

Umm, left triangle adapter?

If you stand at the back of the trainer, the adaptor on the left need to be taken out and swopped with the one for boost. The one that was given to you i assume.  

So get a road bike then

I'm not too familiar with the Kickr but with the Elite you can leave the cassette on the freehub so it takes 2mins to change from QR 11spd to Boost 12spd.

I'm not too familiar with the Kickr but with the Elite you can leave the cassette on the freehub so it takes 2mins to change from QR 11spd to Boost 12spd.

Kikr Core comes with the adaptors to fit the different bikes.

Though he would still have to swop cassettes ....  :wacko:   Using an 11 speed and a 12 speed on the same trainer is always going to be a workshop session swoping out all the bits ....

Though he would still have to swop cassettes ....  :wacko:   Using an 11 speed and a 12 speed on the same trainer is always going to be a workshop session swoping out all the bits ....

Unless he have a XTR 12 spd shifter, there is a dial underneath on it that you can change between 11 & 12 speed.

Edited by TheoG

Though he would still have to swop cassettes .... :wacko: Using an 11 speed and a 12 speed on the same trainer is always going to be a workshop session swoping out all the bits ....

Normally only the drive side adaptor uses a tool and once you remove that you can slide the freehub off with the cassette in it. With separate 11spd and 12spd freehub/cassette combos I reckon you can do it in under a minute.

Rode my 12speed boost bike on an 11speed cassette last week, on a Hammer trainer. Just changed the spacers to boost for the frame.

6x4min intervals, no issues. Use .erg mode on your trainer and use the device or program to adjust resistance or import a training file. Find a gear that doesn’t tick. Although , I was able to shift through most of the block without issues, obviously didn’t go to the limits of the cassette.

Edited by BikeisLife

Just choose a gear that runs smoothly and train in ERG mode... obviously you cannot race and shift as needed there... but training in ERG is just fine...

Just buy a 12 speed nx cassette and swap them out. What’s the point of spending thousands on a trainer and then limiting the use you get from it?

It’s like buying a Ferrari and fitting 13inch wheels. It might still go forward, but it is going to scrape and not do the job intended

I use 12x Eagle on an 11-speed cassette without any issues. It’s very smooth and surprisingly quieter than the 11-speed bike. I think it’s because the 12-speed chains are narrower so they are less likely to rub if slightly out of alignment. I ride in ERG mode though.