Giant TCR too big?

robsc

Have my eye on a good deal Large TCR Pro1 . I am 1.83m with an inseam on 855mm . I have ridden the bike and it feels good . Currently riding a 56cm Cervelo R3 (REACH IS 1CM SHORTER THAN GIANT) . Reason for post is I am wanting constructive criticism as to not buy it . I am 50/50 and on the fence? 

Have my eye on a good deal Large TCR Pro1 . I am 1.83m with an inseam on 855mm . I have ridden the bike and it feels good . Currently riding a 56cm Cervelo R3 (REACH IS 1CM SHORTER THAN GIANT) . Reason for post is I am wanting constructive criticism as to not buy it . I am 50/50 and on the fence? 

There is your criticism. You need to be 100%

Reach is easily solveable with a stem.  

I have a TCR Large which has the effective top tube length of 57cm.

I am 183cm with in seam of 88cm. My thinking is:

- Your seat height will be slightly lower than mine. I run about 20mm of spacers under the stem to end up with a drop of 8cm, you can probably get rid of the spacers to achieve a similar drop.

- I have an 80mm stem to get the correct fit. It seems like you're torso might be slightly longer than mine (being the same length but smaller in seam), so you might end up with a slightly longer stem.

This might be oversimplified but I think the frame will work for you. A proper fit is always a good idea. 

I actually bought mine from a guy in PE on bikehub a few years back and I've been very happy with it!

(Pic was with a 100 or 110mm stem)

post-55393-0-72850800-1595503975_thumb.jpg
Edited by Andy_P

- Your seat height will be slightly lower than mine. I run about 20mm of spacers under the stem to end up with a drop of 8cm, you can probably get rid of the spacers to achieve a similar drop.

- I have an 80mm stem to get the correct fit. It seems like you're torso might be slightly longer than mine (being the same length but smaller in seam), so you might end up with a slightly longer stem.

This might be oversimplified but I think the frame will work for you. A proper fit is always a good idea. 

I actually bought mine from a guy in PE on bikehub a few years back and I've been very happy with it!

Thanks for your reply Andy . I have a pic attached of my current (Cervelo) saddle height and stem height from front wheel axle . The bike has a 110mm stem on it 

post-27266-0-22099400-1614672567_thumb.jpg

Edited by robsc

Thanks for your reply Andy . I have a pic attached of my current (Cervelo) saddle height and stem height from front wheel axle . The bike has a 110mm stem on it 

How does the stem feel? 80mm is pretty short and twitchy

How does the stem feel? 80mm is pretty short and twitchy

I honestly didn't notice the difference going down from 100 mm. I'm not a serious roadie though, spend most of my time on my mtb. So might just be ignorance...

I honestly didn't notice the difference going down from 100 mm. I'm not a serious roadie though, spend most of my time on my mtb. So might just be ignorance...

Its just when it comes to cornering that its really noticeable, like Red Hill or Chappies Noordehoek side. 

At 110 at moment due to the angle of the stem and its not as stable as the 120mm I have found, also depends on the head angle of the bike as well.

Its just when it comes to cornering that its really noticeable, like Red Hill or Chappies Noordehoek side. 

At 110 at moment due to the angle of the stem and its not as stable as the 120mm I have found, also depends on the head angle of the bike as well.

Giant works out their front end geometry to be able to work with a 80mm stem but I find the handling horrible with such a short stem. for a race road bike to have a stem shorter than 100mm means the frame is likely too big for the rider.

If the bike then also needs a pile of spacers on top of the headtube then they're bought the wrong bike, A Defy would probably be a better fit and ride.

I see so many guys riding ill fitting aero bikes just so that they can feel that its not the bike holding them back and thus creating a situation where it is the bike that is holding them back....

Edited by DieselnDust

Giant works out their front end geometry to be able to work with a 80mm stem but I find the handling horrible with such a short stem. for a race road bike to have a stem shorter than 100mm means the frame is likely too big for the rider.

If the bike then also needs a pile of spacers on top of the headtube then they're bought the wrong bike, A Defy would probably be a better fit and ride.

I see so many guys riding ill fitting aero bikes just so that they can feel that its not the bike and thus creating a situation where it is the bike that is holding them back....

yes my bike is to big for me, but its what I bought. I could not be picky at the price.

After a bike fit I went to an 80mm stem, maybe I'm not at that level of cycling, but I honestly dont feel the negatives to the handling that everyone speaks about.