Sram AXS upgrade or buy a new bike?

WiehanCronje

Question: is it worth spending money on this upgrade or do I save a bit longer and buy a brand new bike with the groupset as standard?

I currently have a 2019 Specialized Epic Expert. Love the bike! I have no hassles with it, it’s in great condition! It rides like a dream!

If I do replace it, it will be with a 2021 Specialized Epic Pro. But the price tag is R149k.

1.Should I spend the R25k and do the AXS upgrade on my current bike?

2. I can get a decent price for my bike as it is in great condition, no scratches and maintained and serviced by Specialized. I will have to pay in around R90k for the new bike.

Looking for some advice and recommendations. . .

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Also considering it since I’m not very happy with my XTR mechanical since day 1. I think I’ll do the upgrade when I have some spare cash. Later if I sell the bike I’ll put the xtr back on it and keep the axs for my next bike and so on

I would do the upgrade. Is there much difference between the two bikes?

Main difference is Sram GX vs Sram X01 AXS and new design frame with slight tweaks in geometry. Same carbon material frame (fact11). Rockshox Sid Brain Fork basically the same. Same carbon wheels.

XX1 AXS vs XO1 AXS.

16grams

That's its.

Don't neglect to look at Amazon. And make sure the supplier uses Amazon shipping

Is X01 AXS upgrade kit available in SA? X01 will do just fine. . .

Question: is it worth spending money on this upgrade or do I save a bit longer and buy a brand new bike with the groupset as standard?

I currently have a 2019 Specialized Epic Expert. Love the bike! I have no hassles with it, it’s in great condition! It rides like a dream!

If I do replace it, it will be with a 2021 Specialized Epic Pro. But the price tag is R149k.

2. I can get a decent price for my bike as it is in great condition, no scratches and maintained and serviced by Specialized. I will have to pay in around R90k for the new bike.

Looking for some advice and recommendations. . .

Nothing beats new bike day. Do it.

I would confirm that you can even get stock of said bike before you commit to selling yours, there are stock problems.

AXS upgrade is attractive as at some point you would have had to replace your derailleur to work with the 10-52 cassette. Sram are no longer making the 10-50.

If I had that type of cash to throw around I would rather earn interest on it in a savings account.

Remind me what’s wrong with your current groupset?

This is bikehub - we generally don’t come here for financial advice

Question was AXS or new bike

In OP’s case I’d advise AXS and transfer it to the new bike one day

Would I take my advise, probably not, new bike day is the best day

Nothing beats new bike day. Do it.

I would confirm that you can even get stock of said bike before you commit to selling yours, there are stock problems.

AXS upgrade is attractive as at some point you would have had to replace your derailleur to work with the 10-52 cassette. Sram are no longer making the 10-50.

They are still making it and have explicitly stated they will not stop making it.

OP, m 2c. Do the upgrade. It doesn't seem like you want/need a new bike anyway and 90k is alot of money to spend on something you don't actually want. From all accounts I have heard AXS is chalk and cheese with mechanical, if I had the $ I would do the upgrade myself...

Edited by Grease_Monkey

Do the AXS upgrade, you wont look back and can always move it to a new frame if you ever want to upgrade the bike at a later stage. I have had AXS since end of 2019 and havent had a day's issue (touch wood). Always smooth no skipping. It's expensive , yes, but if you have the cash , I think it's a great upgrade.

Since most advise on upgrading and I'm also considering the upgrade, let me know where you found an upgrade kit for 25, because I mostly find the derailer/shifter for 19/20 and the cassette for 10. That plus the chain it's a 30k+ upgrade and I'll also probably need to change my front blade going from XTR 12spd to Sram 12 spd ?

It's not going to be before a couple months though ;)

Edited by Jbr

i have AXS on my bike - it is wonderful

no sticky or heavy cables EVER

you never have to adjust your gears for cable stretch - a pleasure

is it better than mechanical? Yes and No

its easy to live with yes - unless you forget to charge the battery

does it neaten up the look of the bike, for sure! less cables is sexy

i however do not feel the shift quality is any faster or better than a well maintained mechanical set.