Sealant in road tubes

peevee

I have never used sealant in road tubes and am considering inserting some sealant into my tubes.

Which brand of tubes has a removable core to enable insertion of sealant?

Any other insight or feedback re this topic welcomed!

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I have never used sealant in road tubes and am considering inserting some sealant into my tubes.

continental

Kenda

Vittoria

there may be others

Use Stans Race Sealant! Road tyres have so little air to plug holes that you want a great sealant. Stans Race is the fastest, best sealant in the business.

MTB (and to a lesser extent cx/gravel) tyres have tons of air to support sealing that just about any sealant will do but on road use the good stuff (especially if it is in the tubes rather than tubeless).

continental

Kenda

Vittoria

there may be others

Thanks. Most tubes sold online don't specify if the core is removable hence my having to ask.

Another question re tube sizes:

Most 700 tubes indicate 20 to 25c but what does one use for 28 to 30mm tyres? Is there a size up (perhaps 28-32?) which are more difficult to get as most online stores usually only stock the 20-25 option.

Edited by peevee

Thanks. Most tubes sold online don't specify if the core is removable hence my having to ask.

Another question re tube sizes:

Most 700 tubes indicate 20 to 25c but what does one use for 28 to 30mm tyres? Is there a size up (perhaps 28-32?) which are more difficult to get as most online stores usually only stock the 20-25 option.

25-28mm is a relatively common size for tubes. That will work for you.

Check that the valve is long enough for your rim depth.

I have used sealant in my road tubes for a while, I found it sealed about half of punctures. However, you couldn't patch the tubes successfully once they had been exposed to sealant. I do like to patch my tubes, so I don't use the sealant in road tubes anymore.

As an alternative, you could carry a small bottle of Stan's with you (and a valve core remover), if the puncture is small, then insert Stan's and bomb it with some CO2. This is my strategy when I ride with tubular tires in a race.

Ideally you need to core to be removeable.  I've successfully added sealant into road tubes with a non removable core.

I have used sealant in my road tubes for a while, I found it sealed about half of punctures. However, you couldn't patch the tubes successfully once they had been exposed to sealant. I do like to patch my tubes, so I don't use the sealant in road tubes anymore.

As an alternative, you could carry a small bottle of Stan's with you (and a valve core remover), if the puncture is small, then insert Stan's and bomb it with some CO2. This is my strategy when I ride with tubular tires in a race.

Sealant works perfectly for those "slow punctures"  Saved me a ton of money in tubes over the years.

Sealant works perfectly for those "slow punctures"  Saved me a ton of money in tubes over the years.

My record for a tube is ten patches. I tossed it after ten because the tire was feeling lumpy, so I do like to patch...

Giant also had some great options in this size, but became very scarce last year.

Yes I noticed that. The 20-28C tube range  is quite thin in SA. In Europe I suspect you can still get any size you want in butyl or latex. SA is just so small than only popular sizes are imported

Orange Seal will be in Country in the next month.

hold on tight as its the best road sealant out there

Orange Seal will be in Country in the next month.

hold on tight as its the best road sealant out there

I have a set of tyres waiting to be put on and waiting for this..............

Use Stans Race Sealant! Road tyres have so little air to plug holes that you want a great sealant. Stans Race is the fastest, best sealant in the business.

MTB (and to a lesser extent cx/gravel) tyres have tons of air to support sealing that just about any sealant will do but on road use the good stuff (especially if it is in the tubes rather than tubeless).

Not sure if you work for Stan's (LOL) but it only seals pressures up to 40 to 50psi so not at all suitable for road tyres