Sitting in hospital and thinking:”what now?”

Juls13

Just had double bypass at age 35. Problem is, my favourite sport is mountian biking, specifically freeridng and just jolling in trails. Never the fastest but usually keen to try something that scares the living **** out of me.

Now i find my self thinking how wil i get back ti being that kind of rider? A rider that will wear lycra just for the jol of it, or go for laps around the local pomptrack donning full downhill kit

Im pretty sure that i am not the only person in this situation, so how??? Dis you ever get back after an operation like that. Are chest protectors only able to stop a couple roost rocks from klapping you on the chest or will a protector really be able to help in some way.

I have heard the wire re-attachment ops are fairly common due to guys just not taking the time to heal up propperly.

Any info community

????

Had a friend have a massive heart attack on a dirt bike ride with me. His heart function was down to 30% odd when he was wheeled into ICU. He is back riding and living as he did before almost 4 years later. It took him almost two years to get back onto a dirt bike. First things first, DO NOT RUSH RECOVERY. When the doc says no riding etc for a year, suck it up and listen. When they say, make this lifestyle change, do it. What you have gone through is proper stress on your body. It needs time to recover and adjust. In the meantime, find something to stimulate yourself mentally and keep the thoughts of riding far away while you heal up. All the best with the road ahead

Hope you have the answers you're looking for, don't rush things, listen to the doctors, we're not talking about any injury here.

I know someone (roadie) who had a heart attack and rode an ebike for quite a while before he started riding normal bikes again. That could possibly be a good thing for you to still enjoy the trails ?

I can't comment on your specific situation, but one thing's for sure, each person's situation is unique. Quiz your doc till you're absolutely sure you have all your question's answered, and if you can't get them them answered, go and find someone who can.

Good luck with your road to recovery. I hope you shoot the lights out and do better than anyone expects. Don't give up.

A riding buddy has had 2 hart attacks.  Not sure though if he needed bypass surgery.

Since then he has recovered and done a LOT of trail riding.

When my mom had bypass surgery some 15 years ago she was seriously unfit ....  On the same day another gent had tripple-bypass surgery, but he was an active and fit person.  A week later he was walking around the ward, and then discharged.  Took three weeks before my mom was discharged, and what felt like months before she was okay again.

Moral of the story - you are an active person, and with any luck your recovery will be quicker.   :thumbup:   :thumbup:

As the others have said - listen to the Doc.

1st April 2015 I had 5 by passes, at age of 58, so 6 years ago this April. Normal is triple by pass 3 veins, I needed 5 veins sorted.

Was on a fun ride on Friday night when my chest got so tight that I walked, felt like a steel clamp tightening on chest. Lucky I didn't ignore it and that I did walk.

Took 20 days to heal before back at office.

3 months before back in saddle riding trails.

I'm a weekend warrior. not a balls to the wall rider

Ride local trails at Northern farms at weekends.

Wire in chest? Forgotten it was there until I read your post.

Post op I have been over the bars at least 3 times and other minor bail outs often ending up on back on ground. No damage to chest or heart.

Don't feel sorry for yourself, follow cardiologist and physios advice and you will soon be back in saddle.

good luck though

1st April 2015 I had 5 by passes, at age of 58, so 6 years ago this April. Normal is triple by pass 3 veins, I needed 5 veins sorted.

Was on a fun ride on Friday night when my chest got so tight that I walked, felt like a steel clamp tightening on chest. Lucky I didn't ignore it and that I did walk.

Post op I have been over the bars at least 3 times and other minor bail outs often ending up on back on ground. No damage to chest or heart.

Don't feel sorry for yourself, follow cardiologist and physios advice and you will soon be back in saddle.

good luck though

Go Rory, GO  :clap:

That's the spirit. Like you said: Listen to your medics and don't do stupid things.

Have bike, will ride :thumbup:

good luck though

Exactly the kind of posts I was hoping the OP would get !  :clap:  :clap:

Exactly the kind of posts I was hoping the OP would get !  :clap:  :clap:

not sugar coating it its the truth

heart by pass isnt life changing

its a bump in the road

Dont give up, ever. 

And listen to the quack, they generally know what they're talking about

not sugar coating it its the truth

heart by pass isnt life changing

its a bump in the road

not at all what I implied, just that most of us can't talk about something that never happened to us, you can, and if you can bring him hope and positivity  from your experience that is great ;)

all cool

was just trying to say its not a major life experience

routine surgery that started in 1960

so lots of ops done

Most important is your recovery process. As said listen to docs. Start exercising as soon as its possible, walking and stretching but listen to your body. It will be small steps the 1st 6 months.

I had 4 stents in 2014. Not as intrusive as your surgery but took me at least a year to be back - now fitter and healthier than ever before

Thanx guys. Great replies from the lot of you. Never really thought about the psychological side of having bad heart disease at a young age. Hit me pretty hard.

But imma take it very easy for however long it needs. Cheers guys