Feeding on Indoor Trainer

Bira

Hi ive recently started using squash mix(oros etc.) on my indoor trainer sessions.

Ive found its helped with the workouts over just plain water and i dont feel completely knackered afterwards and can get on with my day. I normally use cadence/biogen on my outside rides and found the squash as a good(cheap) indoor alternative.

Was just interested to hear if anyone else does this and what they use to feed on the dreaded indoor trainer

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The longest session I do on the IDT is roughly between 90 and 120 mins.

Aslo just go for the Oros / water mix and find that it is more than adequate. 

A post ride recovey normally results in a ice cold beer.

The longest session I do on the IDT is roughly between 90 and 120 mins.

Aslo just go for the Oros / water mix and find that it is more than adequate. 

A post ride recovey normally results in a ice cold beer.

For Sure, after cooling down in the pool first...........................

I dont think Oros is the best thing to be using, from my experience I get to big a sugar spike with it.

Ive got recovery down. Dont really drink cooldrinks in general and choose to eat my calories and not drink them besides on the bike. A serving of oros in a sports bottle is about 30g carbs which as mentioned is more than enough.

Ive got recovery down. Dont really drink cooldrinks in general and choose to eat my calories and not drink them besides on the bike. A serving of oros in a sports bottle is about 30g carbs which as mentioned is more than enough.

You need protein for recovery (if you went hard).

I also see this as an opportunity to try different things and see what works. Im bad at feeding on the bike and trying to make it a habit

One does not need to overthink a session on the IDT and unless one is riding for 3 hours pretty hard, one does not need protein to recover.

I will do a warm up, 60 minute interval session and warm down on the IDT twice a week which usually gets me half a bottle of water during and a bottle afterwards while I wait to stop sweating.

I cool down then carry on with my day.

I will ride real bikes for up to 2 hours with half a bottle of water and carry on with my day afterwards a normal.

Cycling for 90 minutes doesn't burn enough calories to justify replacing it with anything specific.

I am no scientist or doctor so take this with a pinch of salt, but seriously, burning 1000 - 2000 calories isn't going to burn a hole in you if you eat properly during the day.

I'm also pretty sure 'most' people reading this could do with a bit more of a calorie deficit 

One does not need to overthink a session on the IDT and unless one is riding for 3 hours pretty hard, one does not need protein to recover.

I will do a warm up, 60 minute interval session and warm down on the IDT twice a week which usually gets me half a bottle of water during and a bottle afterwards while I wait to stop sweating.

I will ride real bikes for up to 2 hours with half a bottle of water and carry on with my day afterwards a normal.

Cycling for 90 minutes doesn't burn enough calories to justify replacing it with anything specific.

I am no scientist or doctor so take this with a pinch of salt, but seriously, burning 1000 - 2000 calories isn't going to burn a hole in you if you eat properly during the day.

I'm also pretty sure 'most' people reading this could do with a bit more of a calorie deficit

Sounds a bit like you're under hydrating.

Try do a sweat test. Measure your weight before and after (dry yourself before you do the after test). Calculate the difference and account for how much water you drank.

I can easily sweat out 900-1100ml of water in an hour on the trainer. Most people will be near that number in a warm climate on the trainer.

Do we need to put the pinch of salt into our bottles to replace what we lost while training??

Sounds a bit like you're under hydrating.

Try do a sweat test. Measure your weight before and after (dry yourself before you do the after test). Calculate the difference and account for how much water you drank.

I can easily sweat out 900-1100ml of water in an hour on the trainer. Most people will be near that number in a warm climate on the trainer.

Half a bottle plus a bottle is about 1100ml of water?

I will also hydrate regularly through the day.

I'm more suggesting that drinking oros or water is more than sufficient and isn't going to make much difference on a 60 to 90  minute IDT session and that one does not also NEED protein/pre/post shakes/magic powder to recover. That's nonsense.

Do we need to put the pinch of salt into our bottles to replace what we lost while training??

One needs said pinch of salt to stomach all your trolling!  :ph34r:

Waves at the berg this weekend! Pull in troll.