Feeding on Indoor Trainer

Bira

just plain water, I don't ride the IDT long enough to go for carbs.

post ride fatigue is managed by recovery muti (usually a good helping of eggs, strong coffee and plenty water through the day)

Ekt al gesien hoe ry jy n 100km op zwift

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Normally IDT trainer rides are harder than outside rides...interval after interval for time to pass quickly...

Why not have carbs on the IDT...you want to be able push yourself...interval after interval...thats what creates overload then rest for adaptation and go again.

60g of carbs is normally what the body can manage in an hour.

Enjoy your efforts and make them count.

<snip>

I'm also pretty sure 'most' people reading this could do with a bit more of a calorie deficit 

I'm pretty sure you're drinking to thirst and that's the way to do it. 

as for the calorie deficit, being a bit hungry never killed anyone. I manage that with a bit of fizzy water and some salt during the day.

Ekt al gesien hoe ry jy n 100km op zwift

uitsonderlike omstandighede, en baie *** besluite  :ph34r:

edit: en 100km is mos vinnig op zwift 

Edited by fanievb

The longest ride I've completed on the IDT is close to 10 hours or was it 9? I cant remember but I started 23:00 at night and finished the next morning. 

Oros works on the trainer for me as well, but I only drink something if I go more than about 60min or know it's going to be a tough session. 

Other than that I use water or Rehydrate, that also helps.

Water out to 90 minutes for me, any longer and it’s the usual carb type stuff. If I ride >90 minutes without fuelling then when I get off the bike I just eat constantly for the rest of the day as I just feel ravenous; a little bit of feeding on the bike saves me from over eating later.

One does not need to overthink a session on the IDT and unless one is riding for 3 hours pretty hard, one does not need protein to recover.

I will do a warm up, 60 minute interval session and warm down on the IDT twice a week which usually gets me half a bottle of water during and a bottle afterwards while I wait to stop sweating.

I cool down then carry on with my day.

I will ride real bikes for up to 2 hours with half a bottle of water and carry on with my day afterwards a normal.

Cycling for 90 minutes doesn't burn enough calories to justify replacing it with anything specific.

I am no scientist or doctor so take this with a pinch of salt, but seriously, burning 1000 - 2000 calories isn't going to burn a hole in you if you eat properly during the day.

I'm also pretty sure 'most' people reading this could do with a bit more of a calorie deficit 

I don't agree with that. I typically burn 500cal on an endurance (Z2) ride per hour, so for 90min at a super steady state that's 750cal, which is a meal in my mind. You only want a negative calorie count if you're trying to lose weight. If you're trying to maintain the weight then you should replace like for like. But I do find an indoor 90 minutes significantly more draining than a 90 minute outdoor ride, possibly because of the ambient (indoor not the same air circulation as outside).

Water on IDT for anything less than 2 hours. Between 2 and 3 hours def a carb drink. 

Zwift racing - Biogen race juice

The longest ride I've completed on the IDT is close to 10 hours or was it 9? I cant remember but I started 23:00 at night and finished the next morning.

Oros works on the trainer for me as well, but I only drink something if I go more than about 60min or know it's going to be a tough session.

10 hours on the trainer?? Did you get lost? ????

K o S on Oros? :-)

Ask your spouse to bring your supper in a musette.

LOL

Or get off, walk to kitchen, eat drink and be merry

And your seat interface will appreciate it

Just like a road ride cafe / coke / coffee stop

I don't agree with that. I typically burn 500cal on an endurance (Z2) ride per hour, so for 90min at a super steady state that's 750cal, which is a meal in my mind. You only want a negative calorie count if you're trying to lose weight. If you're trying to maintain the weight then you should replace like for like. But I do find an indoor 90 minutes significantly more draining than a 90 minute outdoor ride, possibly because of the ambient (indoor not the same air circulation as outside).

Won't you eat a meal later? You don't need to replace calories as you burn them. 

Look, I ran for 3 hours today in the mountains. Not a walk, but run. Nearly 1000m ascent, avg 7min/km (no jeep track and decent rocky trails). It's an effort especially as I surfed this morning for 2 hours and on the back end of a 19 hour exercise week (not intentional).

I drank 600ml of water.

Whatever calories I burned surfing and running I put back eating a post surf croissant, breakfast and Sunday supper.

When I race expedition races I eat as I move because sometimes I move for 40 hours without stopping and go 3 days without a proper meal. I also smash a bottle of Ensure early on a 50km trail run and one per 24 hours on a 100/200 mile running race. But the reality in this instance is that one does not need to eat or take in protein while doing an interval session on the IDT. 

One can eat and drink sufficiently through the day. That's my point.

But if you WANT to, then by all means. But using words like 'need' and 'should' indicates it as a necessity