Canyon reacts to broken handlebar incident

News bot

On Tuesday, 2 March, at one of the opening classic races "Le Samyn", a part of the handlebar of our Alpecin-Fenix pro Mathieu van der Poel (NED) quite obviously broke off during the race. Experts from the Canyon development and quality management departments immediately began analysis and testing to understand the cause of this incident. The affected cockpits (CP0018 and CP0015) are only installed on the current Aeroad models CF SLX and CFR. The Aeroad CF SL model is not in any way affected by this issue.

Click here to view the article

What a nightmare for Canyon. This bike's release was delayed for months; now it seems it has serious flaws in both seatpost and STI clamp design.

When do you issue a recall? You can't ask customers to stay off their bikes for too long.

Canyon officials have ascertained that MvdP was exerting 1.2kw of energy at the time, and have blamed the sheer strength of the rider as the cause of the break ... 

My bet is that there was a small design flaw in the drop accentuated by an STI over torqued.