When to replace a helmet after a crash?

Mark James

I went over my bars earlier this week, landing on my arm, shoulder and the side of my head. Nothing too serious, but will be out of action for another week.

I hit the side of my head against a rock, and even though the helmet absorbed the impact, I still have a sore head a few days later... Visibly, the helmet has 2 small indentations on the plastic (the size of a R2 and R5 coin) from whatever I hit. Internally the foam in the helmet is not cracked or damaged. 

So, the gazillion dollar question is: Do I discard the helmet and get another? 

My gut would say "this is your head/brain you are protecting, hang the helmet on the wall, and get another..." 

Thoughts from fellow hubbers? 

anything visible, buy a new one immediately. More so if you have a sore head, nausea, dizzyness etc.

Even without visible damage, it you think you bumped your head at all, get a new one. 

Get a new helmet. You hit your head against a rock, there may been some fine cracks on the inside that you unable to see.

Not worth the risk.

Think worst case - you fall again, on the same spot, there happens to be internal damage not visible to the eye, the helmet crumples like a tissue, your head gets smoked.

Not worth it. Its the most important item in cycling. Get a new one.

Edited by Chris_

As dave303 said, would suggest a replacement. Any major bump to the helmet would of caused weakness in the structure even if visibly it still looks okay.

Some brands offer crash replacement discounts so check the brand of helmet you use and see. It might make the decision even easier.

Replace it. Especially since you say that there's visible indentations on the helmet. Better safe than sorry.

I went over the bars about two weeks ago, thinking nothing of it because of the nature of the crash. 

Laughed it off basically and brushed (Dusted) it off.... 

So last week I thought let me look at the inner shell of my helmet and I noticed 2 small cracks on the frontal area of the inner shell. I use a helmet with the spherical Mips system and it did it's job. The dealer had me fill out a crash replacement form with a small pay in and new helmet is on the way.

Inspect the helmet VERY closely.

Often it can look fine on quick inspection only to be shocked by its actual condition after a crash.

I went over my bars earlier this week, landing on my arm, shoulder and the side of my head. Nothing too serious, but will be out of action for another week.

I hit the side of my head against a rock, and even though the helmet absorbed the impact, I still have a sore head a few days later... Visibly, the helmet has 2 small indentations on the plastic (the size of a R2 and R5 coin) from whatever I hit. Internally the foam in the helmet is not cracked or damaged. 

So, the gazillion dollar question is: Do I discard the helmet and get another? 

My gut would say "this is your head/brain you are protecting, hang the helmet on the wall, and get another..." 

Thoughts from fellow hubbers? 

If you have to ask the question, you probably already know the answer!

if the helmet was between a rock and your head - and transmitted enough force to damage your head, then i think it's safe to say it is compromised.

even if it is ok, would you feel comfortable riding with it?

That helmet has done its work ... it absorbed the impact.

NO telling what that did to its internal structure.

REPLACE.

PS - worth checking ... some helmets have an accident replacement policy .... 

PPS - GLAD you are okay  :thumbup:

Thanks guys!  :thumbup: 

The comments are much appreciated, and the logic around the structural integrity of the foam having been compromised after an impact makes total sense... Just started riding seriously again after 20 year break, so my reference point are those old school indestructible hard helmets that my parents forced me to wear when riding to school ;) 

The brand is an "Airnet" Specialized helmet - will check if they have an accident replacement policy ;) 

So now I need to show this thread to my wife to get the green light to go helmet shopping, LOL