When to replace a helmet after a crash?

Mark James

Get checked for concussion as soon as possible.

If you haven't already of course.

Definitely had a mild concussion, and had myself checked out at the chiropractor yesterday 

I went over the bars about two weeks ago, thinking nothing of it because of the nature of the crash. 

Laughed it off basically and brushed (Dusted) it off.... 

So last week I thought let me look at the inner shell of my helmet and I noticed 2 small cracks on the frontal area of the inner shell. I use a helmet with the spherical Mips system and it did it's job. The dealer had me fill out a crash replacement form with a small pay in and new helmet is on the way.

What brand of helmet was it? 

Thanks guys!  :thumbup: 

The comments are much appreciated, and the logic around the structural integrity of the foam having been compromised after an impact makes total sense... Just started riding seriously again after 20 year break, so my reference point are those old school indestructible hard helmets that my parents forced me to wear when riding to school ;)

The brand is an "Airnet" Specialized helmet - will check if they have an accident replacement policy ;)

So now I need to show this thread to my wife to get the green light to go helmet shopping, LOL 

Some shops offer a "reduced price invoice" which you can show the missus. Bought a new Spark 930 for R7500 that way.....

Highjack on, sorry OP, So I was riding on a section of single track a couple of months ago and I came around the corner only to find a tree hanging over the track. I tried to duck underneath it but it was hanging way too low for me to achieve that. Basically when I decided to gooi the brakes after seeing that I was not going to make it I ram the tree with the helmet. I was probably doing about 7-10km/h when the impact occurred (not exactly sure but it wasn't too fast as I had no injuries). The end result was that the shell of the helmet has a visible dent but other than that nothing. Would this be something worth replacing?  

Highjack off  :thumbup:

Edited by RobertWhitehead

Some shops offer a "reduced price invoice" which you can show the missus. Bought a new Spark 930 for R7500 that way.....

The problem is if you die your wife sells your gear for what you told her you paid for it, and not what you really paid.... My biggest fear in life, bigger than even dying... Wahahahahahaha 

The problem is if you die your wife sells your gear for what you told her you paid for it, and not what you really paid.... My biggest fear in life, bigger than even dying... Wahahahahahaha 

LOL, my wife knows what my stuff costs. She even knows which bike shops to go to and what to do with the bikes and other stuff I own. She also knows what prices to expect for them. On her side its the jewelry!

I get the "replace after any impact " argument but I think a more nuanced approach is needed. I have a helmet with a bad dent just in front of my ear - it saved me from a nasty injury  on Cobra at Tokai. The rest of the helmet, a Bluegrass enduro lid, which is totally overbuilt, is 100%. I keep it and use it sparingly if my helmet of choice is written off and I'm waiting for a replacement. It is far and away a better choice than a cheap roadie inspired spare helmet and as a back up I'm happy to take the risk... 

I had concussion. The bad kind. I was kept out of theater for a few days because of it. My recovery has taken years, and 5 years downstream from that crash, I still get post-concussive syndrome after effects. Don't mess with concussion. Get that checked first. 

Then replace the helmet.

I get the "replace after any impact " argument but I think a more nuanced approach is needed. I have a helmet with a bad dent just in front of my ear - it saved me from a nasty injury  on Cobra at Tokai. The rest of the helmet, a Bluegrass enduro lid, which is totally overbuilt, is 100%. I keep it and use it sparingly if my helmet of choice is written off and I'm waiting for a replacement. It is far and away a better choice than a cheap roadie inspired spare helmet and as a back up I'm happy to take the risk... 

My previous lid had some soft impacts. When I did replace it after the last impact, the shell seprated from the inner. That said, there is no cracks anywhere. I still have that lid and still use it time and again.

What brand of helmet was it? 

Giro - Aether :) I swear buy the Spherical Mips. I had a really big crash last Feb and yhea it did its job, When your glasses fly off and there's a massive crack in the foam... then you know. Safe riding.

Edited by RaymondC

been there man. distroyed my helmet in a head first impact with tarmac. always replace after impact. some brands offer a crash warrantee/discount. if yours has, use it.

Dont risk it. ever.

When I crashed last year hitting the back of helmet against the road, I stopped riding until I a warranty replacement from Lazer. 

Just hit the trainer till you get a new helmet but DON'T ride with a helmet that has done its job!

Get well and watch for signs of brain damage.