Junior road racing

Goodbadugly

I am a novice in road racing. I don't even have a road bike.

BUT I want to enter my son for the MPU road champs next weekend.

I have been looking at the gearing. He is under 14. Meaning that the distance covered in the highest gear with one rotation of the crank must be less than 6.62 meter. With a front chain ring of 36 teeth, a 28c tire and a 25-11 cassette it will be MORE than 6.62m.

I do not see any reason to utilize more than one front chain ring with those rules. The maximum gearing then being in the same ball park as a MTB with a 32 front chain ring.

Setting the limit screws on the RD to comply means that you won't be able to go smaller than on the cassette.

How strict are these rules enforced?

By the way: MTB.s and cyclocross are not affected by these rules. Does that mean that he can do a road race on a CX bike with a 40 ring front and a 42-11 cassette?

I have been looking at the gearing. He is under 14. Meaning that the distance covered in the highest gear with one rotation of the crank must be less than 6.62 meter. With a front chain ring of 36 teeth, a 28c tire and a 25-11 cassette it will be MORE than 6.62m.

I do not see any reason to utilize more than one front chain ring with those rules. The maximum gearing then being in the same ball park as a MTB with a 32 front chain ring.

Setting the limit screws on the RD to comply means that you won't be able to go smaller than on the cassette.

By the way: MTB.s and cyclocross are not affected by these rules. Does that mean that he can do a road race on a CX bike with a 40 ring front and a 42-11 cassette?

Based on our experiences with Schools Cycling SA, in particular the SPUR series in the Western Cape.

The obvious stuff are policed.

Bulk of it relating to "support staff actions" (mommies running onto the track) .....  :whistling:  :ph34r:   I have seen a 6-year old drop a chain at the START ... I walked over to put the chain on and got chased away !!  That 6-year old had to drag that bike 100m to the "support area", while the rest of the kids dissapeared into the distance.  Okay, rules are rules ... appologised and walked off the track.

Technical stuff .... they do not have the man-power to check the huge number of bikes at a SPUR event.  Though seeing how serious the parents get at the front end of the pack, I can just see people asking winners bikes to be scrutineered ....

Edited by ChrisF

I have been at a million Spur races. 

But I am new to the leg shaving matching kit component weighing social distancing crowd 

Please keep us posted on the simailarities and more importantly, the differences ...

PS - to what extent did they apply the rules in the up-country Spur events ?

The correct way is to get a junior cassette.

CX bike? Sure he can use that I guess, but, he'll likely not enjoy the experience of being so slow compared to the small race snakes.

When it comes to road they will do a rolleout and bike check. No blocking of gears so you will need the correct cassette for his age group

Look up a user on the Hub Zeffer send Charles a DM he can give you all the info you will need. He is CSA Road Commissioner for Gauteng or send me a DM and i will give you his Cell.

if you want to enter the MPU road champs, then they will most likely inspect all entrants.

For normal races, there are usually a handful of youth riders. It’s usually the podium that will be checked after finishing. They are warned at the start to report for a bike check immediately after finishing.

If you’re serious, rather get the proper cassette for youth. Charles (Zeffer) is definitely you best port of call.

You may also need CSA Membership, Domestic Racing Licence, Province affiliation and be a CSA registered club member.

Not sure this will be so for Youth but Junior's will need this. 

When my daughter raced u14, the gearing was 52/17 on 23mm tyres on 700c rims of course. The officials always preferred standardised gearing in the event of wheel replacements. I would be wary of 28s complying. Roll in is a must at Provs. I can help with sprockets for 9sp

When my daughter raced u14, the gearing was 52/17 on 23mm tyres on 700c rims of course. The officials always preferred standardised gearing in the event of wheel replacements. I would be wary of 28s complying. Roll in is a must at Provs. I can help with sprockets for 9sp

You may also need CSA Membership, Domestic Racing Licence, Province affiliation and be a CSA registered club member.

Not sure this will be so for Youth but Junior's will need this.

Again, wondering about the parallels between youth road and MTB series ....

For the SPUR series the kid is entered based on the SCHOOL. The SCHOOL pays an affiliation fee to SCSA, Schools Cycling SA.

Again, wondering about the parallels between youth road and MTB series ....

For the SPUR series the kid is entered based on the SCHOOL. The SCHOOL pays an affiliation fee to SCSA, Schools Cycling SA.

I think Spur hav adopted some of the rules but it falls under schools sport an only go to national's then stops. CSA goes all the way to international competition so UCI rules must be used.