SPD pedals do they wear out

Mawbs

I have a pair of XT M780 that have done a lot of work and in the last few months i have trouble unclipping. I have put new cleats on shoes, adjusted tension etc. So i am thinking that mabey they are just plain worn out, is there a simple fix for this ( i saw on one blog someone talked about sanding down the metal part to make the shape correct again ) or do i just buy new pedals ? 

I have a similar issue. I am finding it increasingly harder to unclip, having to add more force to twist out.

Last week I took my bike in for a front hub service and the LBS showed me the excessive play on the pedals on the shaft that bolts to the cranks.

Now, which pedals to go for - SPD again, or flats...mmmmm

I'm toying with a possible switch to a pair of Spez 2FO's on flats

Yes, the cleat on the shoe wears out from walking in the shoes.  Simple to solve - just replace the cleats.  But make sure the screw head is clean before trying to remove it.  If that screw strips, bastard to drill out....

I have a similar issue. I am finding it increasingly harder to unclip, having to add more force to twist out.

Last week I took my bike in for a front hub service and the LBS showed me the excessive play on the pedals on the shaft that bolts to the cranks.

Most pedals can be serviced with a bit of effort although some need a special tool ....

Stupid question maybe but have you tried lubing the mechanism?

not a stupid question and after watching some videos i will be stripping mechanism down & cleaning/lubing and see what that does 

not a stupid question and after watching some videos i will be stripping mechanism down & cleaning/lubing and see what that does

I don't even strip them down for clipping in issues, I just spray some 'spookpis' on the shafts and spring spots where it swivels if that makes sense

I have the Shimano tool to service these pedals, it works well. I think it was from Ebay.

I found sometimes people have problems when they buy non Shimano cleats, they are not always exactly the same size as Shimano, although they look the same.

My son 3d printed me one ...64f9365af14127d3ae145859fa94a75e.jpg

XT and XTR is very easy to service.

Time consuming but can be done.

The other ones need a little tool to service unless you don’t care if the plastic get a bit damaged

I have a pair of XT M780 that have done a lot of work and in the last few months i have trouble unclipping. I have put new cleats on shoes, adjusted tension etc. So i am thinking that mabey they are just plain worn out, is there a simple fix for this ( i saw on one blog someone talked about sanding down the metal part to make the shape correct again ) or do i just buy new pedals ?

If you trouble unclipping don’t file anything. That is for when your cleats slide within the pedal

I don't even strip them down for clipping in issues, I just spray some 'spookpis' on the shafts and spring spots where it swivels if that makes sense

WD 40 ok?

Maybe I’m missing something here, or I have older technology SPD pedals. There’s a screw at the back of the pedal, on both sides that I tighten/loosen to adjust the amount of force needed to uncleat.

I would imagine this would eventually get to a point where it can no longer tighten the screw, which means the cleat is completely worn.

Please educate a roadie that has done >15k Km on one set of SPDs (MTB only). I’m on my third pair of cleats, so probably 5k Km per set (dirt dependent).

Maybe I’m missing something here, or I have older technology SPD pedals. There’s a screw at the back of the pedal, on both sides that I tighten/loosen to adjust the amount of force needed to uncleat.

I would imagine this would eventually get to a point where it can no longer tighten the screw, which means the cleat is completely worn.

Please educate a roadie that has done >15k Km on one set of SPDs (MTB only). I’m on my third pair of cleats, so probably 5k Km per set (dirt dependent).

Seriously dude so little why so little km on a pair of cleats. I have SPD pedals on my MTB and road bike and the same cleats have done more than 50k km with no major issue. What does happen is the pedal does sometimes wear the carbon on the shoe leading to vertical play when clipped in.

But if you are having issues unclipping look at just lubing the spring, or even giving them a good wash.

Adjusting the screw is a once off setting. It controls the spring that makes it tighter or looser to unclip.

It does not work for worn cleats.

But the pedals also get some wear to the point where brand new cleats will still slide backwards and forwards in the pedals.

When this happens I take the plate off the pedal and file down the edge where the rear spring loaded part stops against the front plate. 0.00something of a mm. Put back and test. No play......go ride.