Tyre choice

Nicomrs

Ok so now for the big question, i have a ride coming up this weekend and need help on what tyres i should use, my main objective is staying on the bike and still ride my best time. There will be lots of rocks! Its still a xc ride.

I have the following tyres in my posession.

2 x ardents 2.4

1 x 2.35 barzo

1 x 2.35 mezcal

1 x 2.35 minion ss

1 x 2.4 dissector.

Help me choose

Edited by Nicomrs

Ok so now for the big question, i have a ride coming up this weekend and need help on what tyres i should use, my main objective is staying on the bike and still ride my best time. There will be lots of rocks! Its still a xc ride.

2 x ardents 2.4

1 x 2.35 barzo

1 x 2.35 mezcal

1 x 2.35 minion ss

1 x 2.4 dissector.

Help me choose

My suggestion; mezcal back, ardent front. Should give you the grip you need up front, while still having a fast rolling rear tyre.

Where are you riding?

Edited by Dappere

2 x ardents 2.4

1 x 2.35 barzo

1 x 2.35 mezcal

1 x 2.35 minion ss

1 x 2.4 dissector.

Help me choose

Dissector front, minion ss at the rear. "Semi-slicks" like the minion, slaughter or rock razor should be more popular. Straight line, they're fast rolling, but the side knobs still offers grip when it goes side ways.

Will the dissector in the front not slow me down?

Will still be faster than a visit to the ER.

I'd gladly run a dissector and mini SS combo.

I currently run a 2.6 disektor on the front. It's a great tyre for our dusty summer conditions, lots of grip with a predictable break away point and slide.

But if you are more worried about minutes than grip, then pick a faster rolling tyre, and compromise somewhere else, like speed in tech sections. Or go back to the tyre that you trust, at least in front.

There are people that rally the less grippy tyres really hard, but they have the confidence and the skills to have the cake and eat it.

I don't know you, or your level of skill, but reading between the lines makes me wonder if a few sessions with a skills coach won't be a good investment.

Dissector front, minion ss at the rear. "Semi-slicks" like the minion, slaughter or rock razor should be more popular. Straight line, they're fast rolling, but the side knobs still offers grip when it goes side ways.

Second this. Grip over rolling speed any day of the week. Besides, the Disector does not roll that slow, my bet is that it's only going to be when you are on tar that you will really feel the drag. 

@Stemesiter, I would love a SS tyre, problem is there is no Minnion SS or Slaughter available in a 2.5". The 2.3" Minnion SS are really skinny and low volume. 

Second this. Grip over rolling speed any day of the week. Besides, the Disector does not roll that slow, my bet is that it's only going to be when you are on tar that you will really feel the drag. 

@Stemesiter, I would love a SS tyre, problem is there is no Minnion SS or Slaughter available in a 2.5". The 2.3" Minnion SS are really skinny and low volume. 

Yeah, I've seen those 2.3 minion ss on wide rims, squared off far too much, actually running on the side knobs. I've never seen a 2.5 wt ss locally.

Yeah, I've seen those 2.3 minion ss on wide rims, squared off far too much, actually running on the side knobs. I've never seen a 2.5 wt ss locally.

Yeah, tried it on my rims (30mm internal), was extremely square. So much so that it was running on the side knobs, meaning that it was running as slow as a DHR or DHF. Moved it to the wife's bike with 21mm rims - perfect there. 

I don't think Maxxis even make a 2.5 option. Unless that has changed in recent times...

Anyway, don't wanna derail the thread. 

Is Barzo and Mezcal combo that bad?

Im running 2.35 (4c, isotecG, Cape Cobra) on both (Barzo front and Mezcal back) and dont have any complaints. (same general pressure as OP)

in the wet they not great but dry summers i dont have much to complain about.

But then again maybe im just slow and or my baseline im using is wrong. I am comparing it to my previous  2.3 fast trak (2bliss, grid, gripton).

i am running 30mm ID rims so I dont know if that makes much of a difference.

Also I am assuming compound plays a role in tire performance....

PS: Also running Cushcore XC inserts

Edited by YaseenEnos

The barzo/mezcal combo is great, i think im just more used to my old 2.4 ardents, i could through anything at them they would never let me down. But they are slower than the vittoria combo.