Boschendal: Cape Town’s Best Kept MTB Secret

News bot

With the recent fires raging through Jonkershoek, one of Western Cape’s most popular riding spots has been reduced to dust and ashes. If it wasn’t for the exceptional and brave work of the fire fighting teams, there is no doubt the damage would be far more severe and far reaching.

Thankfully though, there is a hidden gem just over the Helshoogte Pass that will help keep your trail stoke high. The gem I am speaking of is the Boschendal Wine Estate, it has roughly 72km of trails spread out over the various routes which cater to different fitness and skill levels.

Click here to view the article

Nice article, and tracks look great. Just started riding in CT again, so will definitely go check it out :) 

Definitely nice trails and worth a visit, however I would note that they are more suited to the marathon and xco riders as, for a rider who leans more towards trail/enduro, those leg-burning uphills barely justify the downhill sections of trail. Also, go early cos that side of the mountain can get moer-hot!

I rode these a few years back but ja, it was vrek warm but still pretty good fun. Some of the newer Banhoek trails do look like a bit of fun on the downs though? 

Bear in mind that Banhoek and Boschendal can be risen on one permit. So you can combine both for a big day out.

Or do it like we did, ride Banhoek, have coffee at Boschendal, ride Boschendal, have lunch at Boschendal. Especially with autumn here this does not have to be an early start anymore.

Definitely nice trails and worth a visit, however I would note that they are more suited to the marathon and xco riders as, for a rider who leans more towards trail/enduro, those leg-burning uphills barely justify the downhill sections of trail. Also, go early cos that side of the mountain can get moer-hot!

You okes still working during this Scamdemic?

Are the black routes here mostly XC?

It is like Tygerberg Black.

Don't be put off by the colour

Not too technical, and risk is mostly due to speed.

It is like Tygerberg Black.

Don't be put off by the colour

Not too technical, and risk is mostly due to speed.

That is why I have some cheap brakes, to cancel out most of the speed.

• 1 month later...

Which Boschendal route would be suggested for a kind of exprienced XC rider? The longer, the better.

Keeping in mind it's a hardtail bike with 100mm travel.