Clicking noise from cranks / drivetrain

Steady Spin

I need your help dear Hubbers.

A week ago my bike developed this click when pedaling. It sounds like a ballpoint pen is clicked around the bottom bracket area with every revolution of the pedals. The noise is about the same with pressure on the pedals and without.

So far I’ve taken the cranks off, cleaned out the bb, reinstalled it, replaced the chainring, and reassembled everything with either a bearing grease or assembly compound where needed and at the correct torque settings. BB is about 1200km old.

Still clicks.

Thanks in advance.

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

pedal service?

i had the issue last week. had a spare set of pedals for a quick swap an it's sorted so i must just still service the other pair

Edited by Jackal355

pedal service?

i had the issue last week. had a spare set of pedals for a quick swap an it's sorted so i must just still service the other pair

That was my first thought as well. I don't think so. With just the cranks rotating the click its there though. I alternate which pedal was used to rotate the cranks. 

I'm swopping on a different set of pedals later today to test with. Hope it's as simple as that. (Not that simple as the one pedal has a stripped bearing cap)

This may sound obvious but have you checked your seatpost? Is the click still there if you stand and pedal?

Seat post was fitted with carbon paste and greased clamp / rail interface about a month ago. 

Need to double check standing and pedalling to be 100% sure. 

Do you have a Fox fork by any chance? It can be the CSU

Thankfully not. Apparently that will drive you insane. 

I had a similar issue and it ended up being my rear wheel skewer being loose (by just enough for it to click). Maddening!

I will definitely check that out. Haven't inspected the axles in a while. Thank you.

Removed the bb cleaned, greased and reinstalled? What type of bb is this ? Once the bearings are removed they should not be refitted due to the Brunel king of the race that occurs on removal. If removing the bearing they should be replaced with new units.

Can you describe the service because I’m sure it’s one of your bb bearings that are shot

Removed the bb cleaned, greased and reinstalled? What type of bb is this ? Once the bearings are removed they should not be refitted due to the Brunel king of the race that occurs on removal. If removing the bearing they should be replaced with new units.

Can you describe the service because I’m sure it’s one of your bb bearings that are shot

Sure thing. 

It's the bb that came with my Lyne cranks (https://www.on-lynecomponents.com/collections/cranks-chainrings/products/bottom-bracket-24mm-bsa)

Removed it. Wiped all the threads and surfaces clean with a microfibre cloth that I sprayed some Muc-Off Bio Degreaser onto. I never spray directly onto bearings. 

Wiped the threads of the bb shell clean as well. 

Used Park Tool ASC between the shell and the bb when reinstalling and Finish Line Teflon bearing grease on the crank spindle. 

Both bearings felt smooth and still "firm as new". No grinding or binding. 

Have you checked the BB bearings? It must be done by putting them under pressure. If there is any looseness or roughness replace. As it's not that old pry off the seals and grease with a good ie Marine grease. I'm the bomb with bb's.... Have cgased noises all over my bike. Have also found the same but lighter ticking noise coming from my RD. I run an oval chainring and the clutch needs to keep accommodating the tension and slacking of the chain. A few drops of dry chain lube and sorted. If you're based in JHB I'm happy to help you have a look. I've also had to grease my pedal spindles as well as pedals and cleats. I even had my road shoes creak and needed to spray the tongues with Mr Min... My road and Mtb have to always be silent and smooth.

Something else to check, remove the hanger, lightly grease the area between the hanger and the frame.

Had the same issue! This worked for me on two bikes. Lightly greased between hanger and frame and also if you have QR rear axle, light grease on contact points here can also help.

Goodluck!

Have you checked the BB bearings? It must be done by putting them under pressure. If there is any looseness or roughness replace. As it's not that old pry off the seals and grease with a good ie Marine grease. I'm the bomb with bb's.... Have cgased noises all over my bike. Have also found the same but lighter ticking noise coming from my RD. I run an oval chainring and the clutch needs to keep accommodating the tension and slacking of the chain. A few drops of dry chain lube and sorted. If you're based in JHB I'm happy to help you have a look. I've also had to grease my pedal spindles as well as pedals and cleats. I even had my road shoes creak and needed to spray the tongues with Mr Min... My road and Mtb have to always be silent and smooth.

Thank you. I did check the bearing under pressure but mostly but hand. How else would you recommend? 

Most likely not related but I only picked up the noise after switching to the oval. I switched back to a round though and the nouse is still there. I will do a quick check on the derailleur later and see if it originates from there.

I might just take you up on the offer if I can't find the issue.