Help from the experts - Lanseria

Hello Community,

I decided after 3 months of advertising  my park & ride venue in Lanseria attracting one club who have supported me. I need to grow it. As we know people are creatures of habit. I am located just off the R552 (200m) on the edge of Fourways entering Lanseria. Perfect location.  

Here is the million dollar question to the community, what is the best way to get traffic here to my venue?I've thought about offering riding lessons for youngsters, short courses like safety, how to clean your bike, easy maintenance, open day where there are stores specific to cyclists. Some help here please!!

The plots perfectly placed for all the cyclists travelling from Broadacres shopping centre in Fourways. Just so much safer to park here.

Many thanks 

Tracey

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

in a word, coffee :-D

But I think you are in a middle ground in terms of serving the cradle - not as immediately safe from traffic as Valverde or Avianto, and without the ride-from-home option of Broadacres.

You could improve your offering by having trails access around Lanseria - the trails are there, but I don't know how safe or legal they are to ride any more. If you would do the legwork on clarifying access rights and safe riding options that may help bring you cyclist volume. Also if you could define a route from you onto the cradle MTB etc. people may make better use of it.

The right turn out of the Lanseria access road onto the R522 (I think this is where your rides start?) is something of a dangerous turn across traffic to be able to ride in the cradle direction. a safer option for cyclists taking off on to their ride would also help. Not sure if this is an option, but I know folks won't like this turn.

and Good Luck! We need cycling businesses to work

Edited by 100Tours

I think a ride venue is decided on a few things from my experience - is the parking safe? Is it way off the riding routes or close? Some extra perks like a bike wash hose and some shoe cleaners could go a long way... Having a small section in the shop with spares and bits that people might forget but need will be awesome too... Having access to toilets and a water point to fill bottles is also a big perk. Having proper, trained security for bikes on car racks while cyclists enjoy their post ride refreshments is vital, or close by, easy to watch and monitor bike parking... It'll take some advertising on groups and forums like this, speak to some of the clubs in the area, and then the investment should pay off...

in a word, coffee :-D

But I think you are in a middle ground in terms of serving the cradle - not as immediately safe from traffic as Valverde or Avianto, and without the ride-from-home option of Broadacres.

You could improve your offering by having trails access around Lanseria - the trails are there, but I don't know how safe or legal they are to ride any more. If you would do the legwork on clarifying access rights and safe riding options that may help bring you cyclist volume. Also if you could define a route from you onto the cradle MTB etc. people may make better use of it.

The right turn out of the Lanseria access road onto the R522 (I think this is where your rides start?) is something of a dangerous turn across traffic to be able to ride in the cradle direction. a safer option for cyclists taking off on to their ride would also help. Not sure if this is an option, but I know folks won't like this turn.

and Good Luck! We need cycling businesses to work

Hi, thank you for your response, I am listed on Trailforks SA where the rides are highlighted,  there is a lot of cyclists from Broadacres that cycle past at the bottom of my road  where Kwena Malapo school is located. We form part of Northern Farm. 

https://www.trailforks.com/region/the-cyclist-pitstop--moore-house-academy-43350

You can see where i'm located and all the rides around us. I have secure parking behind a automated gate with a worker at the gate . We are linked to Guardmax and have sensors on the property. We can take up to 200 cars but will keep to 100, great coffee, and a great breakfast. This is definitely a better option than busy Cedar rd, with roadworks. A cyclist was knocked off his bike on Saturday morning. 

I will definitely do the ground work. Currently we have a club that uses us (MTB) they just not here every weekend. I need to expand.

Regards 

Tracey

Hello Community,

I decided after 3 months of advertising  my park & ride venue in Lanseria attracting one club who have supported me. I need to grow it. As we know people are creatures of habit. I am located just off the R552 (200m) on the edge of Fourways entering Lanseria. Perfect location.  

Here is the million dollar question to the community, what is the best way to get traffic here to my venue? I've thought about offering riding lessons for youngsters, short courses like safety, how to clean your bike, easy maintenance, open day where there are stores specific to cyclists. Some help here please!!

The plots perfectly placed for all the cyclists travelling from Broadacres shopping centre in Fourways. Just so much safer to park here.

Many thanks 

Tracey

Hi Tracey

Did you market to the Pretoria clubs up north?

My thinking is that all the cyclists in the cradle have there preferred places where they would like to meet. Unless they not driving past your venue from broad acres side I cannot see them changing there ways.

Your venue is the closest for the cyclists from the north, who wants to access the cradle, so I would try focus marketing there. 

I live in Krugersdorp so for me to start on that side will make no sense but I will sure use your venue if I have mates from Pretoria wanting to join me for a ride. 

Just my 2 cents

I think a ride venue is decided on a few things from my experience - is the parking safe? Is it way off the riding routes or close? Some extra perks like a bike wash hose and some shoe cleaners could go a long way... Having a small section in the shop with spares and bits that people might forget but need will be awesome too... Having access to toilets and a water point to fill bottles is also a big perk. Having proper, trained security for bikes on car racks while cyclists enjoy their post ride refreshments is vital, or close by, easy to watch and monitor bike parking... It'll take some advertising on groups and forums like this, speak to some of the clubs in the area, and then the investment should pay off...

hi, Thank you for your response, i offer all that you have suggested except the maintenance side.  We are linked up to a security company. Riders can only gain access with an entry card provided. I have a guard who patrols the cars and bikes. Security is key for us as we live on the property.  I welcome any suggestions that can get us on the map. Have a happy day.

Tracey as a Cape Tonian my feedback is purely on the "concept", not particular situation.

Riders can be grouped into three groups (at least one could try to) :

- the hard core RIDERS. Those that cycle from home, and may pass your facility.  These riders may stop in for a coffee .... At Bloemeddal this group is a significant portion of those supporting the trail centre (coffee shop)

- Those "cyclists" that drive from home, want a safe parking spot, and want easy access to trails.  This group include riders from beginners to hard core black-line-riders ... you need a very wide range of trails to cater for this larger group .....

- "cycling families" ... similar to the second group, but now the emphasis moves to what cycling you offer for the kids, from push bikes all the way to young races.  OFTEN one or both of the parents dont even bring a bicycle, and would need seating where they can watch their kids cycle ... as the kids progress, mom or dad would ride "green route" trails with the kids.  Now want short routes close by, with easy cut-backs when the ride is cut short for what ever reason ...

A few local examples :

- Hazendal - they have always proudly presented themselves as the ride venue for KIDS, and they do this WELL.  But, this means there are no real cycling options for mom or dad .... so Hazendal is part of a growth phase in the sport.

- Meerendal - No option for parents to sit and watch their kids ride.  You have to head off into the trails with the kids .... works well as the follow up to Hazendal.  HOWEVER, this trail has a LOT of hills, so often a bit much for the kids.  It is WAS a popular venue under adult riders ... nice trails (when properly maintained), two nice restaurants ...  Meerendal has shifted their focus, aiming their venue at the birthday party crowd, functions etc.  Cyclists are no longer allowed to bring their bikes to the restaurant .... I have since done the route ONCE, and took my business elsewhere.

- Contermanskloof & Dairyshed - this facility is always busy.  Though the vibe is certainly more "rider" oriented than the "family" vibe.  Very small coffee shop, with a limited range of items.  But always FRESH and good quality.  When I cycle from home I often stop here for a coffee.  They also do functions, but off to the side, so the functions and cyclists co-exist well.

- Bloemendal - this is our detination when the 9-year old goes with.  They got the recipe RIGHT for all types of riders !!

There is a small track fro the toddlers on push bikes.

Then a nice pump track for the kids.

With another 20km of trails on the farm, offering options for the kids (new older riders) all the way up to the serious jumpers.

They have a section of grass where outside coaches can do training.  This area is also used when the likes of Specialized wants to do a demo day of new bikes.

An area for kids birthday parties ....

The coffee shop ....

LOTS of safe parking !

This certainly is an example of what works.  BUT, it took YEARS to get to this point !!

Worth noting that the parking is FREE at Meerendal, Contrmanskloof and Bloemendal  (last time we were at Hazendal there was an entry fee, not sure of the current arrangements)

All of these places do have options for "day trail fees" and annual trail fees.

Which begs the question, what do want to offer cyclists ?

- safe parking only ?  (which is not an all bad option ...)

- access to trails ?  which would impact how many want to use your "Address" as the starting point for their day ride

- facilities for kids and families ?

It may be handy if you could manage day fees and access to trails AND then offer the safe parking and benefit from the feet to your restaurant.  (not sure if this an option in your case)

not sure if I answered you, or just created even more questions ...  :whistling:   :ph34r:

Wishing you all the BEST in this venture.

Hi Tracey, Although you are indeed not far from either the Cradle or Northern Farm, you are competing with venues which actually at those areas (cafe at Northern Farm and several spots in the cradle which I am sure you know). So in a way you are stuck in no-mans land.

I think you will have to come up with some USP which would make people stop at your place as opposed to those mentioned above. 

As mentioned before there are trails in your immediate area but they are not very widely used. From what I can see you are pretty close to Copperlake Brewery and Brendan (cyclist himself) is organising rides on a regular basis. Maybe chat to him to see if there are some synergies between the two of you

Hi Tracey

My thinking is that all the cyclists in the cradle have there preferred places where they would like to meet. Unless they not driving past your venue from broad acres side I cannot see them changing there ways.

Your venue is the closest for the cyclists from the north, who wants to access the cradle, so I would try focus marketing there. 

I live in Krugersdorp so for me to start on that side will make no sense but I will sure use your venue if I have mates from Pretoria wanting to join me for a ride. 

Just my 2 cents

Hi, no I haven't marketed Pretoria at all. I will do that. A lot of the cyclists from the north park at Broadacres , they don't pass my place but pass by at the bottom of my road. My suggestion is that they cut out Broadacres and come to me. As you said they have there preferred places. have to use some persuasion like finding a well known individual who can come have a look at my place and send out a recommendation. Without that i don't think i will get anywhere. I remain hopeful as i know this can work. I would appreciate it if your friends from Pretoria could come here. Thank you for your input . much appreciated.

Tracey

Tracey as a Cape Tonian my feedback is purely on the "concept", not particular situation.

- the hard core RIDERS. Those that cycle from home, and may pass your facility.  These riders may stop in for a coffee .... At Bloemeddal this group is a significant portion of those supporting the trail centre (coffee shop)

- Those "cyclists" that drive from home, want a safe parking spot, and want easy access to trails.  This group include riders from beginners to hard core black-line-riders ... you need a very wide range of trails to cater for this larger group .....

- "cycling families" ... similar to the second group, but now the emphasis moves to what cycling you offer for the kids, from push bikes all the way to young races.  OFTEN one or both of the parents dont even bring a bicycle, and would need seating where they can watch their kids cycle ... as the kids progress, mom or dad would ride "green route" trails with the kids.  Now want short routes close by, with easy cut-backs when the ride is cut short for what ever reason ...

A few local examples :

- Hazendal - they have always proudly presented themselves as the ride venue for KIDS, and they do this WELL.  But, this means there are no real cycling options for mom or dad .... so Hazendal is part of a growth phase in the sport.

- Meerendal - No option for parents to sit and watch their kids ride.  You have to head off into the trails with the kids .... works well as the follow up to Hazendal.  HOWEVER, this trail has a LOT of hills, so often a bit much for the kids.  It is WAS a popular venue under adult riders ... nice trails (when properly maintained), two nice restaurants ...  Meerendal has shifted their focus, aiming their venue at the birthday party crowd, functions etc.  Cyclists are no longer allowed to bring their bikes to the restaurant .... I have since done the route ONCE, and took my business elsewhere.

- Contermanskloof & Dairyshed - this facility is always busy.  Though the vibe is certainly more "rider" oriented than the "family" vibe.  Very small coffee shop, with a limited range of items.  But always FRESH and good quality.  When I cycle from home I often stop here for a coffee.  They also do functions, but off to the side, so the functions and cyclists co-exist well.

- Bloemendal - this is our detination when the 9-year old goes with.  They got the recipe RIGHT for all types of riders !!

There is a small track fro the toddlers on push bikes.

Then a nice pump track for the kids.

With another 20km of trails on the farm, offering options for the kids (new older riders) all the way up to the serious jumpers.

They have a section of grass where outside coaches can do training.  This area is also used when the likes of Specialized wants to do a demo day of new bikes.

An area for kids birthday parties ....

The coffee shop ....

LOTS of safe parking !

This certainly is an example of what works.  BUT, it took YEARS to get to this point !!

Worth noting that the parking is FREE at Meerendal, Contrmanskloof and Bloemendal  (last time we were at Hazendal there was an entry fee, not sure of the current arrangements)

All of these places do have options for "day trail fees" and annual trail fees.

Which begs the question, what do want to offer cyclists ?

- safe parking only ?  (which is not an all bad option ...)

- access to trails ?  which would impact how many want to use your "Address" as the starting point for their day ride

- facilities for kids and families ?

It may be handy if you could manage day fees and access to trails AND then offer the safe parking and benefit from the feet to your restaurant.  (not sure if this an option in your case)

not sure if I answered you, or just created even more questions ...  :whistling:   :ph34r:

Thank you. I've taken in your comments that i need to ponder on. regards

Hi Tracey

Just my 2 cents

Thank you. I will market Pretoria. Your Pretoria friends are welcome!!

Hi Tracey

Through all of this, I cannot see what you actually offer to the cyclists and WHY you want them to visit your premises ? Are you a restaurant ? You keep saying that you want to expand but expand what ?

Other than safe parking, whats on offer ? There's no trails on your property. 

On Facebook you mention "filter coffee" but to be honest, no one wants filter coffee anymore. With Seattle and Hey Bru available in the cradle loop, coffee has advanced to great cappuccinos etc...

A couple guys above have mentioned most of what I would add to this discussion :

1. You might be en route but you're out of the loop - so you need to come up with a value proposition to attract people.
  2. From all I'm reading of your posts, you seem to want to attract the road cyclists (and not necessarily MTB although you have some support here). The roadies either ride from home (longer distance) or drive to cradle and do that loop (shorter distance) so there's not much of a gap here for you and the intersection by you is terrible. Sure some of them park and ride from BA but not many - the huge groups typically ride from bike shops. Lots of MTB riders either ride from home or from BA but we have routes that cut across land in which ever direction we would go so there's not reason for us to park and ride from you. 
  3. Chat to Brendon from Copperlake - he knows the area well and actually used to undertake some maintenance and organise fun rides.
  4. Speaking of which, we ride (MTB) past your property very often and the trails in your immediate surrounds are currently in terrible condition. As someone said before, fix up, cut the grass and maintain the trails within and around 1km of you and we'll all be most grateful and you'll most likely attract some support.
  5. Following on from this, there are many 'beginner' and 'family' cyclists that might not always want to go to Northern Farms and similar. So fix up the trails and make up some proper routes, (more than whats showing on Trail forks), maybe a 5km, 10km,15km & 20km (not difficult to organise). Ensure traversing rights and mark the routes accordingly. Then you will most likely attract people who will come and park, ride (and whatever else you have on offer). If these trails are in tip top condition I would be happy to bring the kids as somewhere different to NF.
  6. In general though, it's not a stop for us, as we ride either from home or BA and generally don't stop for anything. BA works fine. But if the trails around you were fixed up and maintained, we'd probably be very happy to support you on social family rides and maybe even a monthly contribution for maintaining the trails. 
  7. You are based in a square where there is huge potential and massive MTB traffic - between the river, Lanseria Airport, R552 and R512. If I were you, I would try and tap into that. But a coffee and maybe a breakfast is not going to bring anyone as there's already soo much on offer at more convenient locations (BA / Cradle).
  8. We almost always head out or return past your property, on weekends, but there are many groups that ride shorter distances during the week that pretty much include BA to and around Lanseria and back. They've even started to fix up some of the trails themselves at the moment. Fix up the trails and you might get some social groups cycling to you for breakfast and then cycling home.

You're welcome to DM me and I'll give you my number for a chat.

Good Luck.

Lots of good comments here, but from my point of view Tracey's value proposition is very simple: secure parking and a safe ride into the Cradle. No more, no less. 

I've been riding the Cradle for more than 20 years from Fourways (Cedar Lakes) and I've watched the roads around here degenerate into a very dangerous state, from the condition of the tarmac to the driving (and riding!) habits of the people that use them.

And while I now prefer driving out there, the parking situation is ridiculous. Tracey's place puts me at the start of the Cradle ride, at a point where the traffic is much less of a concern and the roads are better and quieter.

I don't need more than that.

I've read elsewhere on this forum about the problems with overcrowded parking and theft from vehicles in the Cradle, and here is an offer that helps to address that. But we're nit-picking about the type of coffee, and asking her to fix trails? 

Hi Tracey, 

Chris has given you great feedback and a pointers in determining your target market... I suggest you take his advice.

As or me:

• Your fees are to high (R20pp) 
  • I would not ride the trials around you alone
  • You don't have your own trials (NF, Cradle Moon, Avianto do)

In comparison 

Valverde - R20 per vehicle and you get a R20 Coffee voucher and free showers. 

Bidon Parking is R10 per vehicle - and free showers.

Northern Farms is R60 per person, but offer:

• Secure parking,
  • 6 routes inside the farm
  • 118km inside the farm
  • Safe Trails - security guards on the trials

Cradle Moon R70pp

Avianto R40pp

Things to remember :

It took Bidon 10+ years to get to where they are now.

Looks like Facebook is your primary webpage and it's last post was 18 January. For a start up business like yours you have to have weekly posts (Even if it's just a cuppa-chino with words 'Post ride refuel' )

post-5362-0-46978300-1615275912_thumb.jpg

Edited by AdamA

Lots of good comments here, but from my point of view Tracey's value proposition is very simple: secure parking and a safe ride into the Cradle. No more, no less.

I've been riding the Cradle for more than 20 years from Fourways (Cedar Lakes) and I've watched the roads around here degenerate into a very dangerous state, from the condition of the tarmac to the driving (and riding!) habits of the people that use them.

And while I now prefer driving out there, the parking situation is ridiculous. Tracey's place puts me at the start of the Cradle ride, at a point where the traffic is much less of a concern and the roads are better and quieter.

I don't need more than that.

I've read elsewhere on this forum about the problems with overcrowded parking and theft from vehicles in the Cradle, and here is an offer that helps to address that. But we're nit-picking about the type of coffee, and asking her to fix trails?

That's hardly a business model for Tracey though, isn't it...! And she's trying to expand, but expand what..? More cars ? 50 x cars x R20 = R1000 before expenses... So surely she's looking for more than just safe parking for a couple of roadies...

That's hardly a business model for Tracey though, isn't it...! And she's trying to expand, but expand what..? More cars ? 50 x cars x R20 = R1000 before expenses... So surely she's looking for more than just safe parking for a couple of roadies...

Gents this topic is getting nasty and not helping me at all. Let's just leave it at this and move on. 

I thank you for all the comments, some useful, some not. To the person named LOTUS thank you for your support and that is all i'm asking for.

Regards and enjoy the evening.