Help from the experts - Lanseria

Hi Tracey, 

Chris has given you great feedback and a pointers in determining your target market... I suggest you take his advice.

As or me:

• Your fees are to high (R20pp) 
  • I would not ride the trials around you alone
  • You don't have your own trials (NF, Cradle Moon, Avianto do)

In comparison 

Valverde - R20 per vehicle and you get a R20 Coffee voucher and free showers. 

Bidon Parking is R10 per vehicle - and free showers.

Northern Farms is R60 per person, but offer:

• Secure parking,
  • 6 routes inside the farm
  • 118km inside the farm
  • Safe Trails - security guards on the trials

Cradle Moon R70pp

Avianto R40pp

Things to remember :

It took Bidon 10+ years to get to where they are now.

Looks like Facebook is your primary webpage and it's last post was 18 January. For a start up business like yours you have to have weekly posts (Even if it's just a cuppa-chino with words 'Post ride refuel' )

I have been posting on FB since November. Lots of likes, nothing more than that.  I cant believe you think R20 pp for secure and safe parking is expensive when driving expensive cars and bicycles. Just my opinion . Give a girl a break :) lets move on guys. The world would be a better place if we were more supportive of each other. Enjoy you evening.

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi Tracey,

On Facebook and this forum you mentioned that you are part of Northern Farms.

My understanding us that NF is on the other side of the river and you need a permit/license board to access the farm.

Please clarify your relationship with NF and how we gain access to the NF Trails if we use your parking. .

Hi Tracey,

On Facebook and this forum you mentioned that you are part of Northern Farms.

My understanding us that NF is on the other side of the river and you need a permit/license board to access the farm.

Please clarify your relationship with NF and how we gain access to the NF Trails if we use your parking. .

Once again Adam, i am not a trail park. Our property falls part of Northern farm. Where you ride is up to you. There are many trails  around us. 

The attached map highlights the Northern Farm region. Hope this clarifies some of your questions. 

Just to be clear. My venue offers secure and safe parking with refreshments, convenient for riders coming from the north and up to the cradle. Where you ride is your choice and not for me to discover. My place is a start up venture and not a fully operational business that you are all compare me to the likes of Valverde, Avianto and Bidon.  Like these venues they are surrounded by trails. All i ask is for support as a new business on how to get more traffic. We all start at the bottom and build from there. 

Have a good day.

google.com/maps/place/Northern+Farm,+2189/@-25.9430337,27.9362128,13.25z/data=!4m5!3m4!1s0x1e957831a1aa2999:0xcbccd3829e037964!8m2!3d-25.9301442!4d27.9541894

Once again Adam, i am not a trail park. Our property falls part of Northern farm. Where you ride is up to you. There are many trails  around us. 

The attached map highlights the Northern Farm region. Hope this clarifies some of your questions. 

Just to be clear. My venue offers secure and safe parking with refreshments, convenient for riders coming from the north and up to the cradle. Where you ride is your choice and not for me to discover. My place is a start up venture and not a fully operational business that you are all compare me to the likes of Valverde, Avianto and Bidon.  Like these venues they are surrounded by trails. All i ask is for support as a new business on how to get more traffic. We all start at the bottom and build from there. 

Have a good day.

Hi Tracey, 

My Apologies, I understood Northern Farms to be what turns out to be the "Dieplsoodt Nature Reserve". You are 100% correct in stating that your property is in 'Northern Farm'

I am planning on riding from home this weekend and will drop by your place for a cup of coffee, to support you.

Stay Positive.

Have a Great day. 

In my view you would need to attract the riders 1) to the parking and from the parking 2) to the shop after a ride. The riding options and safe parking get us to the parking whilst the shop offering or a discount such as get your parking fee off a meal at the shop can maybe get us into the shop.

• As others have said, Coffee needs to be good. 
  • Offer breakfast & a cappuccino deal, even if its once a month. Or a seventh-heaven deal whereby you get your 7th cappuccino free.
  • Perhaps if people knew a trail route through from your place to Northern Farms and/or to the Cradle loop then they would consider starting from there for variety or a bit more mileage.
Edited by Brandon P

Hi Tracey, 

My Apologies, I understood Northern Farms to be what turns out to be the "Dieplsoodt Nature Reserve". You are 100% correct in stating that your property is in 'Northern Farm'

I am planning on riding from home this weekend and will drop by your place for a cup of coffee, to support you.

Stay Positive.

Have a Great day. 

Hi Adam, you are welcome. Look forward to it.

Regards

In my view you would need to attract the riders 1) to the parking and from the parking 2) to the shop after a ride. The riding options and safe parking get us to the parking whilst the shop offering or a discount such as get your parking fee off a meal at the shop can maybe get us into the shop.

• As others have said, Coffee needs to be good. 
  • Offer breakfast & a cappuccino deal, even if its once a month. Or a seventh-heaven deal whereby you get your 7th cappuccino free.
  • Perhaps if people knew a trail route through from your place to Northern Farms and/or to the Cradle loop then they would consider starting from there for variety or a bit more mileage.

Hi Brandon, thank you for your suggestions and noted. Below is my offering. I will make amendments as i go along. 

You can check out the surrounding trails on Trailforks SA (link below)

https://www.trailforks.com/region/the-cyclist-pitstop--moore-house-academy-43350

The Cyclist Pitstop @ Moore House Academy in Lanseria is smack in the middle of the one of the busiest ride areas in Gauteng,

conveniently located between Northern Farm and The Cradle. The Pitstop opens at 06:00am Saturdays and Sundays. Weekdays on request.

The Cyclist Pitstop offers safe and secure parking while you ride. Great coffee and muffins are on sale as well as other refreshments.  A scrumptious sit-down  bacon breakfast is available  on request (booking essential).

Cost

Park & Ride only R20per person

Park & Ride, 1 coffee, 1 muffin R50per person

Park & Ride & scrumptious breakfast R120per person

Come and enjoy some time with us knowing that your car and bicycles are safe behind an electronic gate, with armed response. We have sensor on the property with a permanent person who patrols the property to ensure safety.

You welcome to call me on 082 217 9702

https://www.google.c...293!4d27.927976

post-179740-0-61225400-1614687023.jpg 17 9702

Attached Images
  • post-179740-0-34321100-1614689056.jpg

Edited by Pitstop Lanseria, 02 March 2021 - 03:29 .

Gents this topic is getting nasty and not helping me at all. Let's just leave it at this and move on. 

I thank you for all the comments, some useful, some not. To the person named LOTUS thank you for your support and that is all i'm asking for.

Regards and enjoy the evening. 

Please don't take this post as me being nasty, it's not intended that way at all.

It all boils down to the fact that there are a set number of people who ride in the cradle, whether mountain or road and at the moment, all of them have a preference for a starting point for whatever reason. For you to grow your business you need to convince people that starting at your place is a better option than where they currently do. So far I have read this thread and I don't see what you are offering that positively differentiates you from any of the other places but I do see some downsides:

• Not as convenient as riding from Broadacres
  • Not as safe as riding from somewhere in the cradle (Valverde/Bidon)
  • More expensive than any of the above-mentioned places
  • Pretty much everywhere offers coffee/breakfast so that's basically a minimum requirement

In summary, if you want to grow your business you need a clearly defined value proposition / differentiator that I'm just not seeing. (i.e. objectively ask yourself why someone would want to start using your place instead of where they currently ride from).

Sorry if this seems harsh but it is a competitive market unfortunately.

Edited by Jehosefat

Please don't take this post as me being nasty, it's not intended that way at all.

It all boils down to the fact that there are a set number of people who ride in the cradle, whether mountain or road and at the moment, all of them have a preference for a starting point for whatever reason. For you to grow your business you need to convince people that starting at your place is a better option than where they currently do. So far I have read this thread and I don't see what you are offering that positively differentiates you from any of the other places but I do see some downsides:

• Not as convenient as riding from Broadacres
  • Not as safe as riding from somewhere in the cradle (Valverde/Bidon)
  • More expensive than any of the above-mentioned places
  • Pretty much everywhere offers coffee/breakfast so that's basically a minimum requirement

In summary, if you want to grow your business you need a clearly defined value proposition / differentiator that I'm just not seeing. (i.e. objectively ask yourself why someone would want to start using your place instead of where they currently ride from).

Sorry if this seems harsh but it is a competitive market unfortunately.

Hi there, most of these posts are somewhat harsh. I don't agree with your comment on "not as convenient from riding from BA.  Riders  put there lives at risk riding from there to the cradle. I heard the other day that a bicycle got stolen off the back of a double cab, while having coffee at BA , with all those security patrols...really .  I would spend more time in the cradle than thinking about all the traffic getting back to BA , not to mention potholes and road works. Its a no brainer.  SUV drivers ride  at high speed early morning to get a parking spot at already overcrowded venues . My place is the alternative. Does it matter where you park when you all riding to the same place (the Craddle). The question i have to ask is "Why is there so much resistance" . Yes, we can voice our opinions feely. One thing i can say is i'm not going to be put off by the resistance. I will work harder, keep positive. I know this can work and i'll keep at it. All the best. 

Hi there, most of these posts are somewhat harsh. I don't agree with your comment on "not as convenient from riding from BA.  Riders  put there lives at risk riding from there to the cradle. I heard the other day that a bicycle got stolen off the back of a double cab, while having coffee at BA , with all those security patrols...really .  I would spend more time in the cradle than thinking about all the traffic getting back to BA , not to mention potholes and road works. Its a no brainer.  SUV drivers ride  at high speed early morning to get a parking spot at already overcrowded venues . My place is the alternative. Does it matter where you park when you all riding to the same place (the Craddle). The question i have to ask is "Why is there so much resistance" . Yes, we can voice our opinions feely. One thing i can say is i'm not going to be put off by the resistance. I will work harder, keep positive. I know this can work and i'll keep at it. All the best. 

I think you're taking things completely wrong, there is no resistance, no hate, there is reality.

You asked for help, you got the truth.

Cyclists are creatures of habit, to move them away from their current venues you need to look carefully at the suggestions proposed here. 

Broadacres is a shorter drive, therefore, more convenient. I agree that riding from BA is not safe so I usually drive out to Valverde and ride from there. To get me to stop at your place instead you would have to offer something better than what Valverde offers and honestly, based on what I've seen in this thread, you don't. And that's the issue you will need to address to expand your business.

The question you should be asking isn't "Why is there so much resistance?". People are creatures of habit and will keep doing what they are comfortable with unless there is a good reason for them to change.

The question you should be asking is "What can I do differently/better than all the other places to make people want to start here rather than somewhere else?" because if all you are offering is the same thing in a different location there is no incentive for people to change from what they are comfortable with.

I think you're taking things completely wrong, there is no resistance, no hate, there is reality.

You asked for help, you got the truth.

Cyclists are creatures of habit, to move them away from their current venues you need to look carefully at the suggestions proposed here. 

Agree, it is what it is "reality" and yes i asked for advice on how to move forward . Not many riders are aware of my place. I could never compete with the venues you mention .... of which some are wedding venues. These venues have had to build up to where they are today. They also started at the bottom. So give me a break guys!!   

Broadacres is a shorter drive, therefore, more convenient. I agree that riding from BA is not safe so I usually drive out to Valverde and ride from there. To get me to stop at your place instead you would have to offer something better than what Valverde offers and honestly, based on what I've seen in this thread, you don't. And that's the issue you will need to address to expand your business.

The question you should be asking isn't "Why is there so much resistance?". People are creatures of habit and will keep doing what they are comfortable with unless there is a good reason for them to change.

The question you should be asking is "What can I do differently/better than all the other places to make people want to start here rather than somewhere else?" because if all you are offering is the same thing in a different location there is no incentive for people to change from what they are comfortable witH

How is BA shorter? they ride past my road going to the cradle.  Exactly what does Valverde offer?

Hello Community,

I decided after 3 months of advertising  my park & ride venue in Lanseria attracting one club who have supported me. I need to grow it. As we know people are creatures of habit. I am located just off the R552 (200m) on the edge of Fourways entering Lanseria. Perfect location.  

Here is the million dollar question to the community, what is the best way to get traffic here to my venue?I've thought about offering riding lessons for youngsters, short courses like safety, how to clean your bike, easy maintenance, open day where there are stores specific to cyclists. Some help here please!!

The plots perfectly placed for all the cyclists travelling from Broadacres shopping centre in Fourways. Just so much safer to park here.

Many thanks 

Tracey

I have received 933 views on this topic. This alone makes me feel positive, whether in agreement or not. For me this is spreading the word and hopefully  we'll meet in the near future. Ride safe!!

Regards 

Agree, it is what it is "reality" and yes i asked for advice on how to move forward . Not many riders are aware of my place. I could never compete with the venues you mention .... of which some are wedding venues. These venues have had to build up to where they are today. They also started at the bottom. So give me a break guys!!   

you asked

Here is the million dollar question to the community, what is the best way to get traffic here to my venue?

the hub responded. but you dont seem to keen on what has been suggested. 

Like you said, the other venues took years to get to where they are now. You cant come in as the new kid on the block and expect to steal their customers. Its going to take blood, sweat and tears, ups and downs. There is no magic formula, you will need to find what works for you.

Not everything will costs huge amounts of money, but to make money you have to spend money. But most importantly, be humble and accept suggestions. You dont have to act on them, but dont shoot them down.