George Bennett’s helmet snaps in two after crash at Paris-Nice

OVERDRIVE

https://www.cyclingweekly.com/news/racing/george-bennetts-helmet-snaps-in-two-after-crash-at-paris-nice-492790 Just not sure if he should be continuing before a proper assessment-thoughts?

My thoughts are that it should be left to the riders and medical professionals.

I’m over all the armchair / online experts at the moment. People who weren’t there commenting on things they are not involved in and not qualified to comment on.

I’m over all the armchair / online experts at the moment. People who weren’t there commenting on things they are not involved in and not qualified to comment on.

agreed. fewer opinions =  :thumbup:

To be fair, I doubt the professionals are checking for opinions on this thread.

People have opinions, in much the same way you have an opinion about those opinions...

[emoji1] obviously and thankfully.

But I’m sure enough has been said about opinions, and then there’s this that I posted a few months ago on a different thread

https://youtu.be/qJ8aRl1UNgw

Sometimes less is more.

Edited by The Ghost

There's nothing wrong with that first post. Cycling is known to be a sport where guys who should be in hospital make it to the finish line.

A bloke falls his backside off and we shouldn't wonder if it's good for him to continue ? Sit and watch any sport with a few people around . That is what we do, we question officials all the time. We correct the opinions of the experts during breaks.  The ref is blind and the ref is deaf.

It's part of the nature of sport. 

Edit : I understand the idea of everybody with his or her opinion. But this is getting involved in a sport you love. It's not quite the same as someone who's watched three questionable videos about Covid , and now he's an expert.

In the last few years lay people have been made aware about the dangers of concussion and to be very careful after an event . Most parents who have a child playing school rugby would've wondered about the wisdom of continuing.

Edited by Blokman

There's nothing wrong with that first post. Cycling is known to be a sport where guys who should be in hospital make it to the finish line.

A bloke falls his backside off and we shouldn't wonder if it's good for him to continue ? Sit and watch any sport with a few people around . That is what we do, we question officials all the time. We correct the opinions of the experts during breaks.  The ref is blind and the ref is deaf.

It's part of the nature of sport. 

Edit : I understand the idea of everybody with his or her opinion. But this is getting involved in a sport you love. It's not quite the same as someone who's watched three questionable videos about Covid , and now he's an expert.

Lastly . In the last few years lay people have been made aware about the dangers of concussion and to be very careful after an event . Every parent who has a child playing school rugby would've wondered about the wisdom of continuing.

and sometimes he is that is why we have VTR and third umpires now. Sport about the spectators as much as the athletes, except in motorsports, those fans sniff to much TEL fumes

I was there when he crashed and saw him get up and slowly back on the bike and come through the cars to the peloton. My personal view is he shouldn’t of gotten back on. But that’s my 2c

It's a tough one ain't it?

All the other sports with concussion issues can stop the game, cycling the race goes up the road.

For every time a Bardet/Bennet/[insert next rider] rejoins the peleton when maybe he should be in the van there will be 15 other crashes that look worse but the riders are fine. Dunno how they can make this work, but I'm sure the UCI will find a way to f#$% it up as usual

https://www.cyclingnews.com/news/romain-bardet-out-of-tour-de-france-with-concussion/

Cycling is known to be a sport where guys who should be in hospital make it to the finish line.

both the beauty of it and the problem.

I was there when he crashed and saw him get up and slowly back on the bike and come through the cars to the peloton. My personal view is he shouldn’t of gotten back on. But that’s my 2c

Eyewitness reports said he was dazed and confused at first. That alone is reason to pull him from the race even if he was fine a few minutes later. Research shows that micro brain injuries caused by these small yet severe blows leads to other brain disfunction down the line. Sometimes years later. Grid iron football was in complete denial of the this even though they had retired players dropping dead at a relatively young age and for no apparent reason