Sani2C May 2021

Phatcat

Hi Everyone

I know that some of you have done S2C and congratulations on that achievement, I am doing the Sani2C in May 2021. I have been putting in 6-9 hours a week since the 2nd week of Feb 2021. My hill climbing is not the best. What trails in JHB could I do that will give me elevation?

Last question, on the weekend rides should you be concentrating on hours spent or km's done. If so, how many hours on a sat and sun should you be putting in or how many km's should you be aiming for on sat and sun.

All help is appreciated.

Thanks in advance for your responses.

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Go ride multiple laps at Thaba Trails, and this will give you elevation and time in the saddle. You don’t need to do the technical stuff if your skills are lacking, as there are enough hills to testing your climbing.

What's your goal? Finish, podium?

How strong are you, which stage race experiences do you have? Weekend warrior or committed amateur?

What is your base layer, if you say you have done 6-9hrs. What was your average speed and what distance did you get (one can be worked out from the two others)?

How is your technical skills - newbie, nervous rider...?
Work backwards from there.

Best way to improve climbing: do hill repeats. Suggest at least once a week from now. Find a steepish hill somewhere and go.

Sani2C is not very technically challenging overall, but can be testing here and there depending on skill levels.

If it's your first stage race event, just enjoy, have fun and gain experience. Then do it again next year with a new goal. Or another event.

Enjoy!

What's your goal? Finish, podium? - Would like to finish the race.

How strong are you, which stage race experiences do you have? Weekend warrior or committed amateur? I am just a committed amateur.

What is your base layer, if you say you have done 6-9hrs. What was your average speed and what distance did you get (one can be worked out from the two others)? On the flats I am doing about 22-24. Uphills is a problem, only getting 10km.

How is your technical skills - newbie, nervous rider...? I have done a 5 session package with a pro mtb rider.

Work backwards from there.

Best way to improve climbing: do hill repeats. Suggest at least once a week from now. Find a steepish hill somewhere and go. - Like this idea.

Sani2C is not very technically challenging overall, but can be testing here and there depending on skill levels.

If it's your first stage race event, just enjoy, have fun and gain experience. Then do it again next year with a new goal. Or another event. - It is my first stage rage

Enjoy!

Many years ago (will find the thread), Mrs Slowbee did the s2c. It was her first mountain bike race and her first stage race all thrown into one. She only started cycling in Jan, mainly roadbike so she could be fit enough for argus. We did the argus and then switched to mountain bike. Riding a few gravel trails, one or two bits of single track, but never going further than 30 km.

Despite a fear of heights and apparent "lack" of skills we finished just about last everyday. But we finished and within the allowed time frames.

Do not worry about technical ability. Worry about being fit enough to cycle on open flowy single track and uphill. All the uphills are just about on open roads. If you can ride uphill you will finish fine.

EDIT:

https://community.bikehub.co.za/topic/168139-mrs-slowbee-zero-2-sani-my-sani2c-adventure-2017/

Following this with interest.

I am in the same situation.

Planning some Thaba trails sessions, as well as some time spend at Buffelsdrift. 

How was Buffelsdrift

Thaba......Buffels........
All "too technical" if you want to compare it to the manicured trails of S2C.

Don't stress about technical ability......
Worry about endurance and climbing.  100km on a MTB brings new pains to the body.

My 2c

Thaba......Buffels........

All "too technical" if you want to compare it to the manicured trails of S2C.

Don't stress about technical ability......

Worry about endurance and climbing. 100km on a MTB brings new pains to the body.

My 2c

when last were you at Thaba?

There are lots of track, with elevation gain, that is not technical at all. I’ve been there with friends who are just starting out and they love the trails.

It just gets monotonous going up and down the same stuff.

Hi Everyone

I know that some of you have done S2C and congratulations on that achievement, I am doing the Sani2C in May 2021. I have been putting in 6-9 hours a week since the 2nd week of Feb 2021. My hill climbing is not the best. What trails in JHB could I do that will give me elevation?

Last question, on the weekend rides should you be concentrating on hours spent or km's done. If so, how many hours on a sat and sun should you be putting in or how many km's should you be aiming for on sat and sun.

All help is appreciated.

Thanks in advance for your responses.

You might want to include Suikerbosrand Nature Reserve if you want elevation gain over a short distance. Sure, it’s tar, but the distance and elevation will give you a good workout (guaranteed).

I did S2C in 2011 and 2012. It is a Awesome race!! 

2011 finished in 17:05 ( I was the weaker partner) 

2012 finished in 18:15 ( I was the stronger partner - prior to the race my partner had not ridden more than 65km on a MTB) 

The fitter you are, the more you will enjoy it.

During the week do intervals on a spinning bike/Indoor trainer

Over the weekend do a 5-8hour ride (Sat and Sun). - We used to ride Hekpoort-Breetsnek-Cafe and back

Make sure you condition your butt for multi day ridding.

Make sure you also focus a bit on upper body strength. After 4-8 hours of ridding my neck and shoulders were sorer than my legs.

Make sure you book your massages in the race village  :thumbup:

S2C is not that technical so dont fret to much about that. The only really technical part is the Umkho drop and that can be done with relative ease (get you descending & cornering up to scratch). Fitness over multiple days is far more important, so the best is to ride a few weekends of 100km on Sat & Sun each. Thats really all the prep you will need. The rest is pure enjoyment factor. Check the scenery and even if you are in the hurt box appreciate the fact that you have the chance again to do a Sani stage race!!

We did top of Breedts neck from Van Gaalens cheese farm every 2nd Sunday 100 odd km's with a lekka climb in the middle.

I would do Suikerbosrand heading towards being able to handle 2 laps just before Sani

S2C is all about being able to handle up to 7 hrs or at least 100km in the saddle (If you fat and unfit like me) and climbing - Most of the trail is manicured single track jeep track and gravel roads - not really any heavy technical stuff

Many people say Sani is not that technical, but you can still get badly hurt. So for a beginner I would focus a lot on skill training - the basic stuff you should be able to do very well. Before the race fit a new Barzo Vittoria tire to the front, you'll thank me.

Summary tips for Sani: Don't crash, eat a lot, ride slow.