Brake Upgrade

Hi all, 

So after spending a month in CT and doing some trails I decided the one thing, or the first thing I want to upgrade on my bike is the brakes. 

I currently have a Titan Cypher 120.

The reason for the upgrade is currently I am on the heavy side so decent brakes makes sense. 

Any suggestion as to a decent brake upgrade that I can and should look at?

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Hope tech3 e4

Sram Guide RSC (any sram brake but make sure to get the RSC lever)

Shimano XT m8100 4 pots

TRP Slate G-spec

Formula cura 4

formula cura 2

SRAM Guide G2 RSC or ultimate.

Formula gets the value nod

s

SRAM guides get the absolute performance money no object nod. They're considerably more expensive than the Cura brakes

Edited by DieselnDust

I upgraded the entry level Shimano brakes with TRP Slate G Spec.

The brakes work great and suite my riding style.

Running Hope Tech 3 V4...what I've learnt since COVID - finding pads has been a nightmare. Thankfully CRC have stock.

Replacement parts should be a top 2 consideration. Although the V4s were readily available COVID changed that.

200mm rotors also help. A lot!

Hope Tech

I put Shimano SLX M7120 on my bike, been very happy with them, bought them through easy bike on special, if I had to do it again though I would go for Formula Cura 4's, mainly because of spares back up, the spares available for the Cura's is awesome, I broke a lever on the Shimano and it was a proper mission trying to find new ones

Edited by Chadvdw67

The 4 pot brakes are great and works a treat, I just wonder if it is really sooo much better than the standard 2 pot. I mean there's quite a difference in price if I'm not mistaken. But anyway, that's a question for another thread. My suggestion would be, anything higher than the normal Deore brakes on the Shimano side i.e.

SLX

XT

XTR

And then on the SRAM side anything higher than the Avid 7 i.e.

Avid 9rs

Avid XO

Avid XX

Level TLM

Side note, servicing of the Avids are very pricey and Shimano if you break something you have to replace, they don't really fix the stuff like a lever or so.

This is just my opinion and it is based on my experience. I can't comment on stuff like Maguras or Formula because I have never used it before ????

Thanks for all the great info and opinions. 

Much appreciated. 

Will start looking at stock availability. 

What size rotors are you running? 

Cheaper to go up a size than buying new brakes and could just be what you're looking for. 

I ran 203mm front and 180mm rear on single piston Hope Race X2 brakes and it worked pretty well on a 16kg bike with myself at 95kg.

IMO for affordable aftermarket brakes in this order

Cura

Shimano SLX/XT

Putting my Vans in the wheel

TRP Slate. These are the crappest brakes on planet earth.

Front is 180mm and Back is 160mm Sram Level T 

I am 115kg at the moment, hence the journey of the break upgrade. 

What size rotors are you running? 

Cheaper to go up a size than buying new brakes and could just be what you're looking for. 

I ran 203mm front and 180mm rear on single piston Hope Race X2 brakes and it worked pretty well on a 16kg bike with myself at 95kg.