March weather in Capetown

Irishj9

The rainstorm in Capetown is much appreciated. The worst of it hit last night, March 9, only one day after the normal Cycle tour date.

Sunday itself was overcast with rain showers, no spectacular cape scenery shots for the TV.

But thanks to COVID19, there was no "real" event and I did not slide down Chappies and Suiker hoping to get home in one (wet) piece.

The storm strengthened and continued last night, D-day plus1 for cycling fans. I suggest everybody in Capetown go out their front door and take a picture to send the race organisers. My neighbours bins are blown open and the debris is everywhere.

In case they forget the changing Cape weather patterns, first week of March

Next year, same again?

J

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The rainstorm in Capetown is much appreciated. The worst of it hit last night, March 9, only one day after the normal Cycle tour date.

Sunday itself was overcast with rain showers, no spectacular cape scenery shots for the TV.

But thanks to COVID19, there was no "real" event and I did not slide down Chappies and Suiker hoping to get home in one (wet) piece.

The storm strengthened and continued last night, D-day plus1 for cycling fans. I suggest everybody in Capetown go out their front door and take a picture to send the race organisers. My neighbours bins are blown open and the debris is everywhere.

Next year, same again?

J

Its always the second week in March, which does not look too bad at the moment.

Its alwth or thereabouts. Its now MArch ays the second week in March, which does not look too bad at the moment. and 

Yes March 8 or thereabouts. Its now March 10 and we are in the middle of a rainstorm

Next year, same again?

J

Yes March 8 or thereabouts. Its now March 10 and we are in the middle of a rainstorm

I think next year should be the 13th of March if we are operating on the 2nd Sunday in March narrative

Sunday past was a shitty day for road cycling. I got soaked all the way from camps bay to Fish hoek...had to cut.my ride short. Glad the official CTCT event new took place on that day. It would have been a disaster!

This rain is uncommon. Not sure where you are coming from here. Epic would be starting soon too if it was on. It's the weather. One thing you simply cannot change. Incase you just moved here we have significant wind as well. It doesn't really come on certain days, months or years. It does it's own thing. Must we take pictures too? Not being otherwise just saying it is what it is. We have spectacular days and then we have these days. You simply do not know what will happen.

I think the weather over the entire country has been unpredictable this year.

This rain is uncommon. Not sure where you are coming from here. Epic would be starting soon too if it was on. It's the weather. One thing you simply cannot change. Incase you just moved here we have significant wind as well. It doesn't really come on certain days, months or years. It does it's own thing. Must we take pictures too? Not being otherwise just saying it is what it is. We have spectacular days and then we have these days. You simply do not know what will happen.

agreed. complaining about the weather is like complaining about the ANC and we all know how that's going.

Next year, same again?

J

It's just a cold front, relax. It won't be the same time next year. Trying to move an event backward or forward by a week because of historical weather patterns is silly. Especially in Cape Town.

The CTCT has previously not been completed because of heat, wind, fire, Covid-19 and now you want it moved because it happened to rain on a similar day to when the race might have been had it not already been cancelled? It might be easier to just not hold it at all if you want to look for reasons that a date isn't suitable.

March is probably the best chance you have of avoiding heat, wind, rain etc in Cape Town but the organisers have no control beyond hope and luck.

Just out of interest - what alternative date would you like? Let's see if we can find a good reason why you're wrong.

Well only the 8th if the first Sunday is the first day of March. It is usually on the 2nd Sunday of March.

I have done the race a few times and have only gotten slightly wet once. It had been raining the week before and they said it would be a wet one and all out of towners must bring rain kit. On the day there were patches of slight drizzle but nothing to write home about.

hahahahahaha

This is laughable

Let's just humour this 'modern day whinge' and say 'when do you have it then?'

Summer, November to end of Feb? November can be the most unpredictable month, either howling SE winds, Indian summers or storms. The rest of the time its either boiling hot and/or howling SE.

Autumn, March to end of May.... Apparently that's a no go because it 'might' rain, so...

Winter, RAIN

Spring, September/October...... Short days, often unpredictable weather, still the odd shower and the odd howling SE. IMHO this slot or the March slot are the 'most appropriate' re weather historically but not good enough for the OP

So just cancel it. Can the event because weather

hahahahahaha

This is laughable

Let's just humour this 'modern day whinge' and say 'when do you have it then?'

Summer, November to end of Feb? November can be the most unpredictable month, either howling SE winds, Indian summers or storms. The rest of the time its either boiling hot and/or howling SE.

Autumn, March to end of May.... Apparently that's a no go because it 'might' rain, so...

Winter, RAIN

Spring, September/October...... Short days, often unpredictable weather, still the odd shower and the odd howling SE. IMHO this slot or the March slot are the 'most appropriate' re weather historically but not good enough for the OP

So just cancel it. Can the event because weather

And sommer all races ever, because what if it rains, or the wind blows, or the sun shines too brightly, or conversely not bright enough, or it's too humid, or too dry, or there may be protests, or or or. 

Agreed with you, there is no better slot for it, plus it's worked damn well for many many many years. If you don't like the odds of wind/rain/heat then go ride your trainer.

Not directed at you Jewbacca, just in general

And sommer all races ever, because what if it rains, or the wind blows, or the sun shines too brightly, or conversely not bright enough, or it's too humid, or too dry, or there may be protests, or or or. 

Agreed with you, there is no better slot for it, plus it's worked damn well for many many many years. If you don't like the odds of wind/rain/heat then go ride your trainer.

Not directed at you Jewbacca, just in general

reminds me of cricket. To dark - cant play, its raining - cant play. Oh we need to stop for tea. Oh we need to stop for lunch. 

No wonder it takes 5 days to play one match :)