March weather in Capetown

Irishj9

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

reminds me of cricket. To dark - cant play, its raining - cant play. Oh we need to stop for tea. Oh we need to stop for lunch. 

No wonder it takes 5 days to play one match :)

Now there is an idea! A mass cycling event that goes on for 5 days! :w00t:  :clap: And Cape Town has the ideal location and weather to go with it  ^_^ 

Now there is an idea! A mass cycling event that goes on for 5 days! :w00t:  :clap: And Cape Town has the ideal location and weather to go with it  ^_^

I'm so keen to do a multi day event I'll jump at this.

Uhm ....

The WETTEST day we have ever had on two wheels, in the Western Cape, was on 16 December (a few years back)

At this rate there wont be many days left to arrange any events ....

Sunday past was a shitty day for road cycling. I got soaked all the way from camps bay to Fish hoek...had to cut.my ride short. Glad the official CTCT event new took place on that day. It would have been a disaster!

I thought it was quite decent actually. I got drizzled on, but it was not biblical in any sense of the word.

Maybe your conditions over the same stretch of road were different to mine, but I'm tending towards Chopper advice for you.

I thought it was quite decent actually. I got drizzled on, but it was not biblical in any sense of the word.

Maybe your conditions over the same stretch of road were different to mine, but I'm tending towards Chopper advice for you.

The drizzle was felt on cableway and signal hill roads, which was pleasant but when we rode from there towards Suikerbossie, over chapmans, hoping to do blackhill etc the rain just started to drench us to make the ride unpleasant and at that point we decided to cut the ride short...was not conducive that side of the peninsula. We have different climates in different parts of Cape Peninsula..it is what it is.

The drizzle was felt on cableway and signal hill roads, which was pleasant but when we rode from there towards Suikerbossie, over chapmans, hoping to do blackhill etc the rain just started to drench us to make the ride unpleasant and at that point we decided to cut the ride short...was not conducive that side of the peninsula. We have different climates in different parts of Cape Peninsula..it is what it is.

And there in lies the problem, how can you choose a date that all those climates will align? I rarely happens, 2018 was a cracker of a year.

But i suppose on the same day things can change, my father-in-law remembers the race far different to what I do last year, he reckons he had to pedal hard down Suikerbossie and I never had any wind.

The wettest Argus to go ahead was held in March 1987. That was a proper torrential down pour that lasted for the whole day. Fortunately I was ill or it would have been my first and last Argus. 

The windiest ACTs' were 1992, 2009 and 2017(when it got cancelled) and 2019

4 days of absolultey terrible weather on the day of the ACT is not a bad hit rate out of 44...... 

but ja, lets go find another date because it rained the Sunday before the Argus was supposed to be held

Edited by DieselnDust

reminds me of cricket. To dark - cant play, its raining - cant play. Oh we need to stop for tea. Oh we need to stop for lunch. 

No wonder it takes 5 days to play one match :)

This sounds like the Double Century... they now have tea breaks in the middle of the "race"

The wettest Argus to go ahead was held in March 1987. That was a proper torrential down pour that lasted for the whole day. Fortunately I was ill or it would have been my first and last Argus. 

The windiest ACTs' were 1992, 2009 and 2017 (when it got cancelled) 

4 days of absolultey terrible weather on the day of the ACT is not a bad hit rate out of 44...... 

but ja, lets go find another date because it rained the Sunday before the Argus was supposed to be held

Wanted to post the same thing, this crops up every year when the Argus is on, and every year that person is eviscerated.

We were in Somerset West and woke up to light rain. By 7am when we left for our ride the roads were wet and were most of the way to Stellenbosch via the R310. Thereafter our ride was dry out to Klapmuts and home again.

But the bikes and our shoes were filth from the spray.

The windiest ACTs' were 1992, 2009 and 2017 (when it got cancelled) 

I seem to recall either 2008 or 2010 was also pretty windy. I recall 2 years in a row of bad wind.

And lets not forget about the extreme heat that cause the race to be cut short (for the back markers) one year.

But as you mentioned, out of 44 we have less than a handful where weather interrupted play.

I seem to recall either 2008 or 2010 was also pretty windy. I recall 2 years in a row of bad wind.

And lets not forget about the extreme heat that cause the race to be cut short (for the back markers) one year.

But as you mentioned, out of 44 we have less than a handful where weather interrupted play.

Definitely grounds to change everything!!! Change the direction sommer while we are at it!

Yes there was a few between 2007 and 2011 where the wind blew but those years one could get through the windtunnel without assistance or having a portaloo land on your head with someone spilling out in a pile of blue urea LOL.

Grear weather in Cape town is actually a rarity, especially on the Peninsula. The best weather is generally End of March through end May. After that its NW and rainy days broken up by cold windless sunny days.

Then comes spring and the south easter till Feb. We have some good days but generally the wind is either blowing SE or NW 320 days a year

Edited by DieselnDust

Yes there was a few between 2007 and 2011 where the wind blew but those years one could get through the windtunnel without assistance or having a portaloo land on your head with someone spilling out in a pile of blue urea LOL.

Grear weather in Cape town is actually a rarity, especially on the Peninsula. The best weather is generally End of March through end May. After that its NW and rainy days broken up by cold windless sunny days.

Then comes spring and the south easter till Feb. We have some good days but generally the wind is either blowing SE or NW 320 days a year

last year I took my daughters down to cape town for the first time, we hit the jackpot and had glorious weather for about 4 or 5 days. I still remarked to the wife on how in 20 years I've never seen the sea at fish hoek looking so calm.