What's my bike worth? 26er BMC Fourstroke 02

Salty Biker

Hi all

Any opinions on what my bike is worth? Thinking about selling it. It's a BMC Fourstroke 02, large size aluminium frame, 2011 model (I think), 26 inch wheels, full Shimano XT drivetrain, including pedals and cranks, DT Swiss XM 180 rear shock, Rockshox SID air fork with 100mm of travel, Shimano hydraulic disk brakes (not sure of model), SLX shifters and is a 3x9 setup. Currently has slicks on but have some knobblies for it as well.

I have no idea how many kms I've done on the bike, but if I were to guess, maybe 3000 to 4000km at most. 

Was thinking I could put it up for sale for about R5000 to R7000. Is that fair? Should I go higher or lower?

post-151893-0-55914400-1615372610_thumb.jpg

post-151893-0-23363600-1615372616_thumb.jpg

post-151893-0-06279700-1615372623_thumb.jpg

post-151893-0-38912400-1615372630_thumb.jpg

Edited by Salty Biker

I think you might well get your price, it's realistic and good value for someone wanting to try the sport.

I think you might well get your price, it's realistic and good value for someone wanting to try the sport.

Put some knobbies on and go for the higher end - MTB with slicks always look a bit, ummm, fragile..

Put it in for R7000 and see if it sticks, you can always negotiate downwards from there. Give it time, don't rush it.

Good luck with the sale.

PS. Consider dropping that seat just a little bit. I don't know why but it presents a bit odd currently. Maybe try placing it just below level of the handlebar.

Thanks for the replies so far

With regards to the seat being quite high: I recently had a fit done by the bike shop and that's where my seat ended up being adjusted to. Feels perfectly fine for my body's dimensions

Thanks for the replies so far

With regards to the seat being quite high: I recently had a fit done by the bike shop and that's where my seat ended up being adjusted to. Feels perfectly fine for my body's dimensions

Agreed 100% on the fit for your body, don't change it when you actually ride it, stick to the bikefit dimensions.

I just meant it as a comment for when taking photos for the classifieds.

I might be way out of line here, but the seatpost height was the first thing that caught my eye. Just thought it would be less distracting if placed a little lower, that's all.

Ditto on the suggested price range.

Are you planning to upgrade?

Looking at the bike size, your saddle high, etc. I would say a 29er will be a huge improvement. 

Hi all

Any opinions on what my bike is worth? Thinking about selling it. It's a BMC Fourstroke 02, large size aluminium frame, 2011 model (I think), 26 inch wheels, full Shimano XT drivetrain, including pedals and cranks, DT Swiss XM 180 rear shock, Rockshox SID air fork with 100mm of travel, Shimano hydraulic disk brakes (not sure of model), SLX shifters and is a 3x9 setup. Currently has slicks on but have some knobblies for it as well.

I have no idea how many kms I've done on the bike, but if I were to guess, maybe 3000 to 4000km at most.

Was thinking I could put it up for sale for about R5000 to R7000. Is that fair? Should I go higher or lower?

Hi there.

Last year I sold my bike aswell, was the same frame just a different colour but it had all custom parts on it, but pretty much the same specs that you’ve got here.

I managed to sell it for R7500 so you should be able to get your R7000 for it, however it won’t usually sell that fast as not many people are buying 26inch anymore but try put it on gumtree and Facebook market place,I sold mine quite quickly on marketplace after having it on here for about a month. Expect a few scammers though, I had three scammers contact me for my bike so just be weary especially on market place.

Cheers

Agreed 100% on the fit for your body, don't change it when you actually ride it, stick to the bikefit dimensions.

I just meant it as a comment for when taking photos for the classifieds.

I might be way out of line here, but the seatpost height was the first thing that caught my eye. Just thought it would be less distracting if placed a little lower, that's all.

Good point, attention to detail makes a difference

They left your saddle there but slammed your bars down by what looks like an inch. A picture of you on the bike would be interesting. Can I ask who did your bike fitment?

Slamming it made the comfort better though. Fitment was done manually by a guy named Alex Ferret at Cycle Junction in Richards Bay (previously Zululand Cycles). I feel like he did a good job

Ditto on the suggested price range.

Are you planning to upgrade?

Looking at the bike size, your saddle high, etc. I would say a 29er will be a huge improvement. 

Yes, planning on getting a 29er hardtail. For what it's worth, I'm 185cm tall and I feel like I'm on a BMX around other cyclists on 29ers

Hi there.

Last year I sold my bike aswell, was the same frame just a different colour but it had all custom parts on it, but pretty much the same specs that you’ve got here.

I managed to sell it for R7500 so you should be able to get your R7000 for it, however it won’t usually sell that fast as not many people are buying 26inch anymore but try put it on gumtree and Facebook market place,I sold mine quite quickly on marketplace after having it on here for about a month. Expect a few scammers though, I had three scammers contact me for my bike so just be weary especially on market place.

Cheers

Yes unfortunately there aren't a lot of people looking for 26ers, so I'm aware that I'm going to wait. With regards to scammers, ya I've had my fair share of bizarre requests/offers from selling various items on gumtree. Most people are reasonable though