Trans Baviaans

meyrdup@gmail.com

Hi everyone

Riding the baviaans for the first time this year, was wondering from you all who have rode it before, is it necessary to have a gps computer with a route guidance or is the route marked and not necessary?

Also if you do ride with a gps, the garmin 520 specifically, is the battery life enough for the whole ride, if you're planning on finishing in 15 hours? Thanks a lot!

Hi everyone

Riding the baviaans for the first time this year, was wondering from you all who have rode it before, is it necessary to have a gps computer with a route guidance or is the route marked and not necessary?

Also if you do ride with a gps, the garmin 520 specifically, is the battery life enough for the whole ride, if you're planning on finishing in 15 hours? Thanks a lot!

Would probably wise to get a battery extender

https://buy.garmin.com/en-ZA/ZA/p/571552

Using gps drains the battery.

No a GPS won't be necessary the road is pretty straight forward. You can only take a wrong turn / make a mistake at two places during the ride, just after CP#5 you have to turn right off the tar road and then there's a fork in the road heading towards CP#6 / 7 and you have to keep left. Other than that it is pretty easy.

As for battery life, just also take the checkpoint stops into consideration into your time. I normally take my USB to power bank converter along and use the battery for my lights for extra juice

Turn off the blue tooth on the 520 and it should make it , have a battery pack in your Bergplaas box or at the Pakhuis stop with your support.

Hi everyone

The route is marked very well and marshals placed at critical spots where you turn off etc. Done many TB's and never required a GPS or map.

Relax and enjoy the ride. It is a magic event :clap: