Vodacom's new Curve smart tracker

Rocket-Boy

I couldnt find anything about this on the forum and I know some members have been looking for something like this.

Vodacom have released the Curve cellular/wifi/gps/bluetooth tracker and it looks like it could be quite useful for tracking bikes or allowing family to see where you are when out riding.

https://www.vodacom.co.za/vodacom/services/v-by-vodacom/curve

How useful it will be in the end Im not sure, but it could have some very useful applications with the international roaming functionality.

Edited by Rocket-Boy

A client who I do work for has now been robbed twice in two weeks....both times only the computers were knicked (inside job in my opinion)....you reckon something like this hidden away in a lap top or desktop could be of use?

A client who I do work for has now been robbed twice in two weeks....both times only the computers were knicked (inside job in my opinion)....you reckon something like this hidden away in a lap top or desktop could be of use?

Yeah it could easily do that job, just mount it inside the case with double sided tape and run a USB cable into the case to provide constant charge. 

If they want to be more stealthy then the battery lasts up to 7 days on a charge.

7 day battery life to me is a problem. Something like this you want to attach and forget until its needed.

Yeah for sure, with IoT devices there is always a trade off between functionality and battery life.

The longer the battery life, the less updates it can provide and will wake from deep sleep less often.

If it became part of a routine to throw it into a commuting pack each day then that would be less of an issue.

Im on the fence with this, I can see applications where it would be really useful, but others where it would come up lacking.

Yeah for sure, with IoT devices there is always a trade off between functionality and battery life.

The longer the battery life, the less updates it can provide and will wake from deep sleep less often.

If it became part of a routine to throw it into a commuting pack each day then that would be less of an issue.

Im on the fence with this, I can see applications where it would be really useful, but others where it would come up lacking.

I just look at the one use case they put forward, using it to track your pet.

Sure the device will tell you when it needs charging (I assume via the app), but then taking it off your pet to charge, then remembering to put it back on the pet when its charged again. To much PT in my opinion.

Sure it has its uses, but it doesnt seem that versatile to me.

Looks interesting. I charge my Garmin often enough, so might as well charge this if it gives me a good chance of retrieving a stolen bicycle.

Any idea on once-off cost and the subsequent monthly subscription they will obviously charge for this? I didn't see anything mentioned on the webpage.

I just look at the one use case they put forward, using it to track your pet.

Sure the device will tell you when it needs charging (I assume via the app), but then taking it off your pet to charge, then remembering to put it back on the pet when its charged again. To much PT in my opinion.

Sure it has its uses, but it doesnt seem that versatile to me.

Well, it's a cost/benefit thing isn't it? The cost is the schlep as you point out, the benefit is the security and knowledge that I can get what I value back. In the case of my pet, that's enormous to me. Pity my pets are cats, and this is likely too big for them to remain happy cats

Looks interesting. I charge my Garmin often enough, so might as well charge this if it gives me a good chance of retrieving a stolen bicycle.

Any idea on once-off cost and the subsequent monthly subscription they will obviously charge for this? I didn't see anything mentioned on the webpage.

Honestly I think the lack of price is the biggest issue right now.

That will be the most important factor to me personally.

I like the idea of having one to track my luggage when travelling or putting on my dog's collar if we go trail running. If they dont get the pricing right then it just wouldnt make sense having one for those purposes.

Device is R749 and subscription R39 per month. Not terrible.

https://www.businessinsider.co.za/vodacom-launches-new-gps-tracker-device-called-curve-2021-3

doesnt say if you need to sign for a long term contract or just go month to month.

I can see a use for tracking baggage if you're a frequent flyer.

The other use I'm thinking of (and thats because its on my mind at the moment), is if you're moving house, pop one of these into one of your boxes going into the removals truck and you can track your goods.

doesnt say if you need to sign for a long term contract or just go month to month.

The other use I'm thinking of (and thats because its on my mind at the moment), is if you're moving house, pop one of these into one of your boxes going into the removals truck and you can track your goods.

Hopefully a month to month subscription. If it was a long term contract commitment, they would give you the device for "free"...

I like that second option a lot!

Im pretty sure you could come up with a bunch of ideas to use something like this.

Normally I would have gone the route of building an IoT device myself and adding that functionality, but really I wouldnt be able to build it for the price its being sold at.

Hopefully a month to month subscription. If it was a long term contract commitment, they would give you the device for "free"...

The fastest way for them to get this into the market would be on a month to month basis. Most people would want some feedback before committing to it.

Otherwise a 6 month contract at a minimum.

Its an esim device from what I can translate in the marketing jargon and there is limited scope for abuse due to that. It would be really interesting if they can make it contract free, but Im not sure how they would then handle billing.