Garmin 530

meyrdup@gmail.com

Hi all!

Looking for someone who wouldn't mind answering a few questions I have on the 530.

1. How long does the battery actually last, while using the HR Cadence and Speed sensor?

2. How long does the battery last if using a course navigation while riding?

Thanks in advance!

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

1. i use HR, power(gives cadence), speed via GPS and radar and get 10 hours easily

2. can't help here. have never had the need

Edited by Furbz

Hi all!

Looking for someone who wouldn't mind answering a few questions I have on the 530.

1. How long does the battery actually last, while using the HR Cadence and Speed sensor?

2. How long does the battery last if using a course navigation while riding?

Thanks in advance!

I can't give exact figures, but I navigated with my Garmin, was forced to take a few unexpected routes and it kept trying to recalculate the route, and while connected to HR and my Varia, the battery life was seriously reduced to about 6hours. Other times, when navigation has been 100% with no recalculating, or not used, battery life was great.

I guess that answer is as always 'it depends'.

• 1 year later...

Does anyone know if / when an updated version of the 530 is coming out?
Perhaps a 540 ?

I notice that there are suddenly quite a few 530's up for sale.
It may be a coincidence, or perhaps people are offloading to make way for something new.

3 minutes ago, splat said:

Does anyone know if / when an updated version of the 530 is coming out?
Perhaps a 540 ?

I notice that there are suddenly quite a few 530's up for sale.
It may be a coincidence, or perhaps people are offloading to make way for something new.

Haha i bought one not to long ago, and noticed exactly the same thing... Worrying now about my purchase 

What is/was the normal price of the 530 ?

I am contemplating handing in my 520 for a battery replacement ... which typically end in paying in on a new model ....

Just wondering if it is worth the effort .... as apposed to just buying a 530 on special.

4 minutes ago, Titleist said:

361 done and dusted in 21 hours and still had 50% battery left. Battery saver was on though.

What functionality do you loose with the battery saver ?

10 hours ago, ChrisF said:

What functionality do you loose with the battery saver ?

I think it also writes GPS info to the file at slightly longer intervals than 1 second so slight loss of accuracy

Hijacking this thread - so my Garmin 530's screen died this morning - I got almost 10 months out of this unit which I think is pretty good for a Garmin in my experience... 🤷‍♂️

Will go through the whole flippen warranty process but I have a 94.7 and DC coming up in the next 2 weeks an I know there is no way the process will be finished before then, any suggestions for a cheap temporary option for a bike computer while I wait for the warranty process to play out - important that its something that can read my heart rate monitor.

20 minutes ago, Skubarra said:

Hijacking this thread - so my Garmin 530's screen died this morning - I got almost 10 months out of this unit which I think is pretty good for a Garmin in my experience... 🤷‍♂️

Will go through the whole flippen warranty process but I have a 94.7 and DC coming up in the next 2 weeks an I know there is no way the process will be finished before then, any suggestions for a cheap temporary option for a bike computer while I wait for the warranty process to play out - important that its something that can read my heart rate monitor.

I know someone that is selling a Garmin 810 at a good price.

7 minutes ago, Dexter-morgan said:

I know someone that is selling a Garmin 810 at a good price.

Given that my Garmin dies on average once a year I think its good to invest in a cheap backup unit that you can use while you go through the warranty process - quick google search shows there a few options available that can do the basic gps & heart rate monitor, bluetooth functionality for less than 1K 

Edit - personally also why I would never buy a Garmin second hand or do a grey import - I need that warranty process to be smooth

Edited by Skubarra

I

16 minutes ago, Dexter-morgan said:

I have my 530 now for 3 years, got it from Evans cycles on Black Friday special and not a day's troubles, I just regret not buying 2 bundles at the time.

I don't know if I'm just hard on the things or have bad luck but I have went through 3 Garmin 520s in 4 years and this 530 now lasted me less than a year

My old 500 lasted more than 5 years and I only updated it when the start button started to perish with age and Garmin offered me a 520 for cheap - somehow regretted that ever since