Wide cycling shoes

Shane__bob

Hi All!

I have been having some feet issues over the past few years and according to my podiatrist... my feet are deformed.. who knew. Here I just thought they weren't the most attractive lol.

Anyway, I have a pair of Factor Techlace and I need to take the one shoes off here and there to allow my feet to stretch and breath before continuing.

Now I am in the market for another new pair of shoes and I do not want to break the bank but with saying that, I do realize the importance of quality shoes. I do not want to have completely wrecked feet by the time I hit 50! (its a good few years away)

Some shoes I have been looking at.

https://lakeshoes.co.za/product/cx237/

https://www.trekbikes.com/za/en_ZA/bike-clothing/cycling-shoes/road-bike-shoes/bontrager-ballista-road-shoe/p/13675/?colorCode=white

https://www.evobikes.co.za/product/shimano-s-phyre-sh-rc901-road-shoe-white-wide/

I have been looking at Bont but not entirely sure how badly I will get nailed with duties. 

I dont REALLY want to spend R5000 plus, so if you know of any cheaper alternatives, please let me know!!

Thank you!

Flat pedals or for clip-less pedals ?...

Specialized 2FO shoes are some of the widest.  :thumbup:    (and cheaper than the inserts from the podiatrist that I have to wear in other shoes ...)

For normal use ... consider a visit to a "New Balance" store.  They actually measure your feet, check your walking, then propose shoes to fit YOU.  I use their "4E" width shoes.  Off the shelf these are even more comfortable than other shoes with the seriously expensive podiatrist inserts ... for less than the cost of the inserts)

Side note - some podiatrists lets you stand on "memory foam" (not sure if this is the correct term), from this they make the inserts ... it works, sort off ....  The next podiatrist made a plaster of paris mould of my feet, then made the inserts from this.  Incredibly expensive !!  But worked a lot better than the first set.

Between the 2FO and New Balance I hardly use the inserts any more, only when I have to wear other shoes ...

Edited by ChrisF

I have a similar issue... Always compensated by going for a bigger size than was necessary. A couple of weeks back I decided to bite the bullet and see someone who knows what they're talking about. The local Lake dealer met me to measure my feet and to try some shoes on (I was almost too wide for their widest option!). They were more expensive than I was hoping, but the quality seems good and customer service is exceptional. 

10/10 can recommend Lake 

Thanks for the detailed response!

Yes, my inserts did hurt.. think I cried a little when I paid for them haha. They did a 3d scan and then plaster I would presume. I did find them to help all that much... I get INSANE blisters when I run in them longer than 4km unfortunately. And they DO NOT fit in my cycling shoes at all. 

I have fibroma on my left foot, so thats the main reason for them but they seem to cause more harm than anything else haha.

As for the flat pedals etc.. I am a roadie ;) 

Flat pedals or for clip-less pedals ?...

Specialized 2FO shoes are some of the widest.  :thumbup:    (and cheaper than the inserts from the podiatrist that I have to wear in other shoes ...)

For normal use ... consider a visit to a "New Balance" store.  They actually measure your feet, check your walking, then propose shoes to fit YOU.  I use their "4E" width shoes.  Off the shelf these are even more comfortable than other shoes with the seriously expensive podiatrist inserts ... for less than the cost of the inserts)

Side note - some podiatrists lets you stand on "memory foam" (not sure if this is the correct term), from this they make the inserts ... it works, sort off ....  The next podiatrist made a plaster of paris mould of my feet, then made the inserts from this.  Incredibly expensive !!  But worked a lot better than the first set.

Between the 2FO and New Balance I hardly use the inserts any more, only when I have to wear other shoes ...

Yeah, Lake seems to be HIGHLY recommended! But my a tremble a little when I see the price.. but as I said... its better to pay the higher amount and look after your feet for the next 10 years before a replacement than to have life time struggles because I was too cheap...

I have a similar issue... Always compensated by going for a bigger size than was necessary. A couple of weeks back I decided to bite the bullet and see someone who knows what they're talking about. The local Lake dealer met me to measure my feet and to try some shoes on (I was almost too wide for their widest option!). They were more expensive than I was hoping, but the quality seems good and customer service is exceptional. 

10/10 can recommend Lake 

As for the flat pedals etc.. I am a roadie ;)

Never too late for a MTB ... :)

Specialized do have a clipless version of their 2FO ...

Yeah, Lake seems to be HIGHLY recommended! But my a tremble a little when I see the price.. but as I said... its better to pay the higher amount and look after your feet for the next 10 years before a replacement than to have life time struggles because I was too cheap...

get the lake CX 237. I have 2 pairs and they're superb. I wear the std width last because the shoe is already wider than other brands in the competition last. 

The S-phyre is built on a narrow race last so you will need the wide version. If you need a Wide Lake CX-237 then the Wide S-Phyre is going to be too narrow for your feet. When I tried on the S-phyre wide they were tighter than my std CX237 but still comfortable.

Use the shoe sizing wizzard on the Lakeshoessa.co.za website and take it from there wrt to correct fit. Kim is super helpful too.

The CX 237 are made of kangaroo leather. Super tough and long lasting. They're not plastic. The CX 218 is available in microfiber on the same last at a lower price point. It use one BOA dial and a velcro closure

Edited by DieselnDust

I wear Shimano wide fit (R171 series - a few years old but so comfy), in Lake I wear a wide fit in the CX332, but can get away with standard fit in the CX237.

(E width with Low arch foot)

Hi All!

I have been having some feet issues over the past few years and according to my podiatrist... my feet are deformed.. who knew. Here I just thought they weren't the most attractive lol.

Anyway, I have a pair of Factor Techlace and I need to take the one shoes off here and there to allow my feet to stretch and breath before continuing.

Now I am in the market for another new pair of shoes and I do not want to break the bank but with saying that, I do realize the importance of quality shoes. I do not want to have completely wrecked feet by the time I hit 50! (its a good few years away)

https://www.trekbikes.com/za/en_ZA/bike-clothing/cycling-shoes/road-bike-shoes/bontrager-ballista-road-shoe/p/13675/?colorCode=white

https://www.evobikes.co.za/product/shimano-s-phyre-sh-rc901-road-shoe-white-wide/

I have been looking at Bont but not entirely sure how badly I will get nailed with duties.

I dont REALLY want to spend R5000 plus, so if you know of any cheaper alternatives, please let me know!!

Thank you!

I can second the Lake recommendation on the thread. Recently bought a pair, after owning a bunch of shoes from other brands as well.

Lake is definitely one of the most comfortable shoes I have worn. Lake also offers insoles, which I would highly recommend to buy as an addition. Depending on the amount of arch support needed.

Lake is also extremely helpful. If you aren’t sure, reach out to them. They assisted me in getting the best fit shoe in their range.

I wear Shimano wide fit (R171 series - a few years old but so comfy), in Lake I wear a wide fit in the CX332, but can get away with standard fit in the CX237.

(E width with Low arch foot)

yes you most likely can. The 332 is built on the Race last while the 237/238 is built on the competition last. The RACE WIDE last is about 5mm wider than the COMPETITION LAST race across the median size range. You could go up a half size in the CX237 to compensate for the loss of width,

I can't answer more definitively without foot measurements so consider the response to be of a generalised nature

I have very wide and high size 14 (left 14/right 13.5) feet. Lake shoes for clipless and Adidas Trail shoes for flats.

Hi All!

Thank you!

Giro’s older shoes do have a smaller last (fit). I have the same pair and get the same pain. I found putting in a proper innersole helped a lot, either the Bontrager or Spez ones. Giro has changed their last in the newer models to be a bit wider.

Lake and Shimano offer wide fit shoes, I would go for either of those. I found Bontrager sizing to be a bit weird, but they do offer a 30 day money back if you not happy.

Shoes are personal, make sure you comfy.