Epic SS steel team challenge accepted - Oct 2021

Waxhead

Epic SS steel challenge - can it be done? Hell yes, and I have sign-off from The Supreme Commander!

To the best of my knowledge this has not been completed by a steel fully rigid SS team in the last 10 years of the Epic, which is now a technical & gnarly experience with every km of each day pushing the riders to their limits.

The Cape Epic taking place 17 to 24 October is the world’s hardest MTB event. The old ballie on Scelerat V2, an all-steel/single speed/fully rigid 29’er MTB, hand-made by Dave Mercer, with a leather Brooks B17 saddle (which came out in 1898 nogal) keeping it real & honest. And my partner will be the young 20-year-old Warrior, Fernell Regue, aka Fykz on my old contraband steel bike, Scelerat V1.

Embarking on this challenge in aid of raising funds & awareness for McGregor Young Warriors biking academy and the amazing Cape Leopard Trust (CLT).  

Please share with any potential funders & if personally wanting to help get in touch with me via FB, whats up 0832709284 or email myw@breedecentreco.za   https://breedecentre.co.za/ (site been updated) https://capeleopard.org.za/ https://www.cape-epic.com/ post-40773-0-41331400-1615647865_thumb.jpgpost-40773-0-72539400-1615647883_thumb.jpgpost-40773-0-65499100-1615647916_thumb.png 

post-40773-0-86532000-1615648183_thumb.jpg

Edited by Waxhead

I believe that the Epic has been completed on Single Speed in the modern era.

Not sure if it was in 2009 or 2012 but William Keith (williams Bike shop in Somerset West) and team mate Nico completed the Epic on singlespeed bikes and I believe they rode 26ers

Not sure if it was in 2009 or 2012 but William Keith (williams Bike shop in Somerset West) and team mate Nico completed the Epic on singlespeed bikes and I believe they rode 26ers

Wow that is awesome, I did not know that and tried to check with Epic the history of all this from 2009 (post Knysna). Were their bikes fully rigid and steel? Congrats to them. I have been the only dude i know of since 2015 that does it each year on my rigid ss steel bike and i know how hard it is. Remember, i had the heart attack at Epic 2018 - blew a head gasket!. Anyway, time to do it again. Let me amend my post in recognising their achievement . Thanks for letting me know 

Wow that is awesome, I did not know that and tried to check with Epic the history of all this from 2009 (post Knysna). Were their bikes fully rigid and steel? Congrats to them. I have been the only dude i know of since 2015 that does it each year on my rigid ss steel bike and i know how hard it is. Remember, i had the heart attack at Epic 2018 - blew a head gasket!. Anyway, time to do it again. Let me amend my post in recognising their achievement . Thanks for letting me know 

Amended it slightly - To the best of my knowledge this has not been completed by a steel rigid ss team in the last 10 years of the Epic, which is now a technical & gnarly experience with every km of each day pushing the riders to their limits.

Amended it slightly - To the best of my knowledge this has not been completed by a steel rigid ss team in the last 10 years of the Epic, which is now a technical & gnarly experience with every km of each day pushing the riders to their limits.

Nico and William used hardtails with suspension forks.

I remember hearing about your heart attack at the 2018 edition while I lying on the massage table. News of severe health issues travels fast even if we don't know the riders names.

Moerse Kudos to you for going back and tackling it again. Especially after a heart attack. I will be adding you to my " teams following" list. All the best with your training and continued health. If you have any questions around prepping for a singlespeed assault on the Epic I'm sure William won't mind you dropping him a note on William@williamsbikeshop.co.za with questions. They don't call him singlespeedwill for nothing

Edited by DieselnDust

Thanks - i have done 4 Epics on my steel ss bike so pretty much know what's waiting for us. All the big stage events in SA and The Munga my bike has done. But i am getting older now so it is never easy. Always had great ride partners at Epic who have looked out for me . This year will be different with one of my Warriors as partner but we did Pioneer together 5 months after my 2018 heart attack......frek strong and nearly a 1/3 of my age!

Kudos Waxhead! Will be following you and Fernell. Can you tease us with some more specs on Scelerat V2 :drool: 

Its a Dave Mercer bespoke steel frame and front fork. Hope - 4 pod brakes, cranks , BB, Pro 4 hubs. Steel CNC chain rings 32/22 for Epic. - same chain for 4 years now . Stans Flow rims running at 1.0 bar and 1.2 rear with rubber inserts. Stainless steel bottle cages

See below pic and article with bike specs...the photo is the latest and most recent on how the bike is looking . The article below was just before i snapped top tube on mnt and we removed pump and put a thicker top tube on and a gusset joint below to strengthen it all up. Thanks for asking....take care 

post-40773-0-96389900-1616347001_thumb.jpg

SA mnt bike article.pdf

Edited by Waxhead