Carbon bars creaking on big efforts

Jbr

Hey guys,

I've had my carbon bars on the road bike creaking for a short while when I was standing on the pedals and pulling on the right side, but this noise is gone now so I'm not too worried.

But now my MTB's bars are creaking a lot when I do similar efforts (stand on the pedals and pull on the bars). It really sounds like the carbon is suffering... 

I do follow torque indications but I don't buy my bikes new, so who know what these parts have been through before me.

Anyways two questions (I probably know this answer to the first but anyways) :

- Should I change my bars on the MTB ? Is there any ways to spot if it's weakened ?

- Has anyone tried the Lyne components carbon bars ? At 1500 new it would be foolish to take chances and risk a collarbone in case my bars snap on a rough landing, but also if the product isn't that great it can also be dangerous... But Lyne usually delivers great value for money... 

Mvdp is that you ?

Use carbon paste and torque to spec. The carbon paste helps a lot

Get someone to check your bars out and if you aren’t happy rather don’t take a chance

Better a new Lyne set of bars than a trip to the hospital

Thanks, I'll take the stem appart and check everything, I must go find some carbon paste whatever I have left is all dry now...

Something to check, push down on the bar on both sides when the bike is stationary and you are off the bike, see how much movement there is. Should not be a lot. You would hear noises or see extra flex if the bar is weak or cracked.

I had the same issue on my TREK Top Fuel.

Removed the headset bearings and coated the seats in the frame with carbon assembly past - The inserts in the frame are carbon.

I then removed the bars and use some past on the stem where it clamps to the bar.

Used a torque wrench to re-assemble

Sorted.

1. could be the headset bearings or the bearings on the seats. A service of this area could be useful.

2. Bolt torque or just corrosion between bolt and thread. Remove bolts and apply blue loctite to the bolts before reinstalling

3. Headset spacers with a snug fit can also creak as the steerer flexes. The rub could be against the steerer itself or between the interface between the spacers and the spacers to stem.

4) if using lock on style grips check for corrosion between the clamp and bar and clean that up. apply carbon paste to the clamp before reassembly

Okay, I cleaned the stem on both sides, greased the spacer, put carbon pasted on the stearer and bars and put it all back to torque and it seems to have sorted the noise. I’ll check again later when I can ride the bike to confirm. Thanks all ????

Okay, I cleaned the stem on both sides, greased the spacer, put carbon pasted on the stearer and bars and put it all back to torque and it seems to have sorted the noise. I’ll check again later when I can ride the bike to confirm. Thanks all ????

Carbon paste on the stearer tube is generally a no go. The paste has a chance of getting into the headset bearings and causing endless problems. Carbon paste is great for junctions like the stem face and seat tube, not bearing interfaces. Also in a fall you want your bars to slip or rotate on the stearer, Carbon paste on the stearer leads to limited movement therefore a higher chance of your fork failing or snapping at the tube top.

First youtube search - Watch "Ask a Mechanic: Carbon Friction Paste Application" on YouTube

Carbon paste on the stearer tube is generally a no go. The paste has a chance of getting into the headset bearings and causing endless problems. Carbon paste is great for junctions like the stem face and seat tube, not bearing interfaces. Also in a fall you want your bars to slip or rotate on the stearer, Carbon paste on the stearer leads to limited movement therefore a higher chance of your fork failing or snapping at the tube top.

Okay makes sense I’ll clean that up ! Never actually did it before since the stem doesn't really risks to slip down, but since everyone he seems to put that grease everywhere and the steerer being carbon...

EDIT : added more grease at the bottom where the spacer is and cleaned the upper part where the stem is, let's see, I had the noise the first time I pulled on the bars in the garage then no more... we'll see on a real ride.

Edited by Jbr

I had the same issue on my TREK Top Fuel.

Removed the headset bearings and coated the seats in the frame with carbon assembly past - The inserts in the frame are carbon.

I then removed the bars and use some past on the stem where it clamps to the bar.

Used a torque wrench to re-assemble

Sorted.

That is not real a place to put carbon paste.

Rather use a thin layer of grease