Outer lower leg pain

Hang on, I am not too sure that it is the ITB, step into my virtual interwebs consultation room  :whistling:

Is it a burning sensation and or numbness or pins and needles? My 7 year virtual medical qualification which I obtained at Nkandla suggests to me that its your Sciatica rather than ITB. The pain originates due to the nerve pinching between L4& L5. 

My remedy: Take a hot shower and wash properly  :oops:

No seriously, stretching like cobras (yoga) or Pilatus or any other stretching exercises will resolve the issue. You need to increase the length of your hamstrings and strengthen your core. 

PS: This is not medical advice  :thumbup: 

the feeling is similar to shin splints, but further to the outside of the leg and running up into the knee.

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Hang on, I am not too sure that it is the ITB, step into my virtual interwebs consultation room :whistling:.

Is it a burning sensation and or numbness or pins and needles? My 7 year virtual medical qualification which I obtained at Nkandla suggests to me that its your Sciatica rather than ITB. The pain originates due to the nerve pinching between L4& L5.

My remedy: Take a hot shower and wash properly :oops:.

No seriously, stretching like cobras (yoga) or Pilatus or any other stretching exercises will resolve the issue. You need to increase the length of your hamstrings and strengthen your core.

PS: This is not medical advice :thumbup:

showering alone doesn’t work unless you have a beetroot and garlic smoothie with it.

only one leg?

Edit: from the good ol days of gym, I know that if you wanted to target the outside of the calf, you pointed your toes inwards when doing raises etc. 

Has that foots cleat maybe shifted to point in?

nope, cleat still pointing my foot outward.

I want to clarify the following if it is indeed ITB.

As far as I have it, stretching is instrumental and important as a preventative measure.  Once your ITB/s is/are injured (inflamed), stretching is not going to make the inflammation go away.

You need to take anti-inflammatory drugs and rest it to get better.  Once it's healed, don't be like me, stretch regularly to prevent it from coming back.

If any medical experts on here, please feel free to tell me I'm talking k@k if that's the case.

Edit:  For running, shoe brand and model in most cases sort out a ITB issue.  On a bike, no clue, probably pedal and or saddle position ???

Edited by TheoG

Thank, will watch this at home, no boobtube at work.

If it hurts a bit, you’re doing it right. You can also also lean forward (slightly) and feel it pulling a bit on the glutes and down the leg.

Every so often after a hard ride I'd get a pain in my lower leg. Its located in a band that runs from the outside of the knee, down the outside of the lower leg. Its never to bad and a bit of rubbing over the next day or 2 sorts it out.

Yesterday though, 20km into my ride it started developing. We were not riding hard at all but the pain grew, running up through the outside of the knee and into the lower part of the thigh. It was worse when standing.

Nothing has changed on the bike, but I'm suspecting it could be cleat position.

What say the bike hub oracle ?

From the symptoms described, sounds similar to pain I had. The most logical question would probably be - have you had a bike fit? If you had just contact the fitter. They would be able to help you, should it be fit related.

This might not be the same for you, but hopefully it can give you a starting point.  My pain came from the cleat being shifted a little outward (probably from walking or something). Shifting it back inwards resolved my issue - no pain since. The guy who did my fit helped with this.

As other hubbers also mentioned, spending some time stretching, or on the foam roller might also be beneficial. If that is a struggle, maybe try and get a sports massage once of twice a month. 

If the issue doesn't get better after trying a few things. Best to go and see a professional.

Every so often after a hard ride I'd get a pain in my lower leg. Its located in a band that runs from the outside of the knee, down the outside of the lower leg. Its never to bad and a bit of rubbing over the next day or 2 sorts it out.

Yesterday though, 20km into my ride it started developing. We were not riding hard at all but the pain grew, running up through the outside of the knee and into the lower part of the thigh. It was worse when standing.

I know a guy.... :whistling:  who had a pain on the outside of his knee for many many years 

Having had ITB himself he self diagnosed it as an old ITB related injury.....

:stupid:

One day he took up golf but then struggled to walk for 18 holes due to said knee pain

Out of desperation off he went to see a Dr (orthopaedic).

1 x MRI later diagnosed with a torn meniscus and a cyst (because of the old meniscus tear) on the side of the knee.

One surgery and some recovery time, all fixed no more knee pain

Do yourself a favour, get a professional assessment and treatment.

I cannot support the comment above more. I also had a knee / ITB ish type issue for years. Watch youtube clips, saw what oaks said on the 'hub, etc. Nothing worked. Went to a professional physio for 1 session and she diagnosed it and gave me a set of exercises and I am now completely fine.

Edited by Baracuda

If it hurts a bit, you’re doing it right. You can also also lean forward (slightly) and feel it pulling a bit on the glutes and down the leg.

Since that is my preferred method of sitting I just needed to add some pressure to the knee.

I had leg troubles late last year even went to the doctor

Got meds, looked for advice even asked for opinions on bikehub

In the end it was bad cleat position......so my advice would be to start there first

Also leaning towards cleat position. Used to have a similar issue. Got gatvol of trying to correct it and just went with flats. No problem since.

I can only offer you the truth Neo... Your pedals could be the cause.

If it's your shin area, it has nothing to do with ITB. Those stretches won't hurt, but they won't help that specific issue.

Likely culprit is cleats too far forward making your shin muscle overwork to stabilise your foot. Collapsing arch could exacerbate the issue.

Move your cleats back on the shoe, get a supportive insole (the Spez ones are OK) and make sure you're not pedaling with more pressure on the outside of your foot (suggesting too high a saddle).

Good luck.

If it's your shin area, it has nothing to do with ITB. Those stretches won't hurt, but they won't help that specific issue.

Its shin into knee, but feel alot like shin splints but also into the outside of the knee. 

You are right about the stretches not hurting. 

This leads me to think you may be right

Likely culprit is cleats too far forward making your shin muscle overwork to stabilise your foot. Collapsing arch could exacerbate the issue.

Move your cleats back on the shoe, get a supportive insole (the Spez ones are OK) and make sure you're not pedaling with more pressure on the outside of your foot (suggesting too high a saddle).

Good luck.

I have prosthetic inner soles custom made for my foot. Likely cause is cleat position. I'm going to play around a bit.

I seem to recall moving my cleats all the way back at one stage, but cant recall if I only did it on the one foot where I was getting some pain or if I did it on both.