Outer lower leg pain

Every so often after a hard ride I'd get a pain in my lower leg. Its located in a band that runs from the outside of the knee, down the outside of the lower leg. Its never to bad and a bit of rubbing over the next day or 2 sorts it out.

Yesterday though, 20km into my ride it started developing. We were not riding hard at all but the pain grew, running up through the outside of the knee and into the lower part of the thigh. It was worse when standing.

Nothing has changed on the bike, but I'm suspecting it could be cleat position.

What say the bike hub oracle ?

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

ITB ?

I had it (ITB issues) along the outside of my knee, and then UP ....

Session with a good physio may help to narrow the options down.  Depending what it is, the physio can rub it out, OR a few sessions with a biokeneticist to address the route cause and build up the relevant muscles ....

ITB ?

I had it (ITB issues) along the outside of my knee, and then UP ....

Session with a good physio may help to narrow the options down.  Depending what it is, the physio can rub it out, OR a few sessions with a biokeneticist to address the route cause and build up the relevant muscles ....

is ITB not only in the upper part of the leg though ?

I initially googled ITB but it all pointed to upper leg and nothing lower than the knee.

only one leg?

Edit: from the good ol days of gym, I know that if you wanted to target the outside of the calf, you pointed your toes inwards when doing raises etc. 

Has that foots cleat maybe shifted to point in?

Edited by Chris_

I initially googled ITB but it all pointed to upper leg and nothing lower than the knee.

NOT sure ...

Will be watching to see what the experts say ,,,,

I also get it, but find it easy to manage with stretching:

a) Touch your toes with fingers. Wait a minute or so until that gets comfortable, then touch your left big toe with your right hand etc. You need to play a bit with feet spacing (20-30cm) and leg position until you feel that thing talk to you.

b) Any ITB stretch

EDIT: and a good massage is magic with it

Edited by Zatopek

Every so often after a hard ride I'd get a pain in my lower leg. Its located in a band that runs from the outside of the knee, down the outside of the lower leg. Its never to bad and a bit of rubbing over the next day or 2 sorts it out.

Yesterday though, 20km into my ride it started developing. We were not riding hard at all but the pain grew, running up through the outside of the knee and into the lower part of the thigh. It was worse when standing.

Nothing has changed on the bike, but I'm suspecting it could be cleat position.

What say the bike hub oracle ?

The way you describe it, definitely ITB.  A lot more common with marathon runners, I used to and had ITB issues a few times.  It runs from upper leg over the side of the knee and join on the lower leg.

Cycling, the first time I hear you can get it from cycling also.  Suppose its entirely possible since the ITB rub over the outside of the knee during cycling and running.

Yes massage/physio, but best for a ITB is rest.

Edit:  If it get very acute and don't get better, there is a operation to "fix" it.

Edited by TheoG

The way you describe it, definitely ITB.  A lot more common with marathon runners, I used to and had ITB issues a few times.  It runs from upper leg over the side of the knee and join on the lower leg.

Cycling, the first time I hear you can get it from cycling also.  Suppose its entirely possible since the ITB rub over the outside of the knee during cycling and running.

Yes massage/physio, but best for a ITB is rest.

Edit:  If it get very acute and don't get better, there is a operation to "fix" it.

Coming back from years on the couch I cycled for 3 or 4 years.

Then started adding walking to the exercises ....

Few weeks of cycling and walking then my ITB gave me h3ll !!!!

The first serious pain was after a long ride on the bike.  Still had 20km to go to get back home .... struggled along to a padstal.  Tried to rub it out while have breakfast .... ended up peddeling back with the other leg ..... that was "fun" ....

I also get it, but find it easy to manage with stretching:

a) Touch your toes with fingers. Wait a minute or so until that gets comfortable, then touch your left big toe with your right hand etc. You need to play a bit with feet spacing (20-30cm) and leg position until you feel that thing talk to you.

b) Any ITB stretch

EDIT: and a good massage is magic with it

point (a) assumes I can touch my toes. Only time in my entire life I've been able to was around 10/11 years old and was doing karate, other than that I've never been able to touch my toes. Short hammies runs in my dads side of the family.

point (a) assumes I can touch my toes. Only time in my entire life I've been able to was around 10/11 years old and was doing karate, other than that I've never been able to touch my toes. Short hammies runs in my dads side of the family.

Ditto, I guess that's why both get it. Pilatus/stretch is the answer.

It might take me 5 minutes on a bad day before I get touchdown :)

Hiehie .... sounds like you just described ME ....  :whistling:  :ph34r:

The BIO has some tricks in their bag for "us" ...  :thumbup:

Take an old bicycle inner tube, hook it over your foot .... now you can do your stretches ....  BUT, they have many more exercises, that are aimed at reaching YOUR muscles that needs some TLC ...

@Ouzo,

A friend suggested that I do a specific set of stretches after the ride. One of them included this:

This video explains it better than I can write it out; has worked for when I feel what

Pie Pair this with that torture device called a foam roller, it’s made recovery so much better. Edited by Frosty

Hang on, I am not too sure that it is the ITB, step into my virtual interwebs consultation room  :whistling:

Is it a burning sensation and or numbness or pins and needles? My 7 year virtual medical qualification which I obtained at Nkandla suggests to me that its your Sciatica rather than ITB. The pain originates due to the nerve pinching between L4& L5. 

My remedy: Take a hot shower and wash properly  :oops:

No seriously, stretching like cobras (yoga) or Pilatus or any other stretching exercises will resolve the issue. You need to increase the length of your hamstrings and strengthen your core. 

PS: This is not medical advice  :thumbup: 

@Ouzo,

A friend suggested that I do a specific set of stretches after the ride. One of them included this:

This video explains it better than I can write it out; has worked for when I feel what

Pie Pair this with that torture device called a foam roller, it’s made recovery so much better.

Thank, will watch this at home, no boobtube at work.

Hang on, I am not too sure that it is the ITB, step into my virtual interwebs consultation room  :whistling:

Is it a burning sensation and or numbness or pins and needles? My 7 year virtual medical qualification which I obtained at Nkandla suggests to me that its your Sciatica rather than ITB. The pain originates due to the nerve pinching between L4& L5. 

I showered now I dont have Covid anymore