SA Champs 2021 Road & TT - Swellendam

Napalm

• Replies 146
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Must give a big up to CSA ,think they have chosen a fantastic course.Not sure if a team is going to help anyone.You either going to have it or not.Agree with the 3 names posted ,possibly slightly favoured the mtbikers

having cycled it a few times in the last month I’m glad I’m on the sidelines.

Course reminds me of the one just outside Wellington used in 2017.  Nice rolling course, but this time with a uphill sprint.

Does African champ jersey trump national jersey? Who was the previous African champ?

Mekseb Debesay from Eritrea won in 2019. I can't recall if they managed to race last year. It's usually in March and things started going pear shaped around then. 

Yes, in terms of UCI rules the Continental champions jersey will supersede a national champions jersey.

Mekseb Debesay from Eritrea won in 2019. I can't recall if they managed to race last year. It's usually in March and things started going pear shaped around then. 

Yes, in terms of UCI rules the Continental champions jersey will supersede a national champions jersey.

There's no continental champion listed for 2020. I assume the race didn't happen.

Must give a big up to CSA ,think they have chosen a fantastic course.Not sure if a team is going to help anyone.You either going to have it or not.Agree with the 3 names posted ,possibly slightly favoured the mtbikers

having cycled it a few times in the last month I’m glad I’m on the sidelines.

If I'm not mistaking Carinus Lemmer put the course together

I’ll go with an international rider for the win, simply because they have the racing intensity in their legs. How much have our locals raced in SA?

Gibbons already has 10 race days for 2021.

My prediction is that I am going to be in a whole new world of pain... Excited to see some of the race from inside the bunch though :)

Good luck to you. Mark a favourite and sit on him like a shadow!  :whistling:

Sorry if I've missed it, But if I haven't, I'm very surprised we don't have this topic being lively with SA Champs taking places this weekend in Swellendam and the ITT being today. Noticeable absentees this year are obviously Impey, and I haven't seen anything about Meintjies or De Bod being there thsi year. Without Impey being there, it would have been the perfect year for De Bod in the ITT because we all know what a machine he is in that discipline and would be nice to see the SA Flag at WT level again on the ITT stages. Money must on Gibbons who recently took the ITT and Road Champs titles at the African Champs recently in Egypt. In the road race, Gibbons, Willie Smit, Nic Dlamini are all on their lonesome this year against the ProTouch guys unless Qhubeka Assos have u23 Feeder team riders riding who can help Nic. If one of the local boys manage to steal the jersey from Gibbons, We wont have any SA Jersey on the WT this year. In the ladies race, Ashleigh Moolman Pasio is not coming home to defend her title, The travelling and possible bans and then quarantine and all of this has had a role to play, So no SA Jersey in the womans UCI Peloton anymore.

To All the hubbers taking part, Good Luck, SMASH IT....

**Edit: Thanks Admin. I clearly missed it.

Edited by FootballingCyclist
Merged from duplicate topic.

I also see the young Ricardo Broxam is back at Nationals after his 3year diping ban, and according to him, only had 3 months of proper training.

Sorry if I've missed it, But if I haven't, I'm very surprised we don't have this topic being lively with SA Champs taking places this weekend in Swellendam and the ITT being today. Noticeable absentees this year are obviously Impey, and I haven't seen anything about Meintjies or De Bod being there thsi year. Without Impey being there, it would have been the perfect year for De Bod in the ITT because we all know what a machine he is in that discipline and would be nice to see the SA Flag at WT level again on the ITT stages. Money must on Gibbons who recently took the ITT and Road Champs titles at the African Champs recently in Egypt. In the road race, Gibbons, Willie Smit, Nic Dlamini are all on their lonesome this year against the ProTouch guys unless Qhubeka Assos have u23 Feeder team riders riding who can help Nic. If one of the local boys manage to steal the jersey from Gibbons, We wont have any SA Jersey on the WT this year. In the ladies race, Ashleigh Moolman Pasio is not coming home to defend her title, The travelling and possible bans and then quarantine and all of this has had a role to play, So no SA Jersey in the womans UCI Peloton anymore.

To All the hubbers taking part, Good Luck, SMASH IT....

**Edit: Thanks Admin. I clearly missed it.

If Matt Beers wins a jersey, it wont even be on the local roads.