SA Champs 2021 Road & TT - Swellendam

Napalm

OK thanks. I was just wondering, seeing as an u23 won, if they can be the (overall) SA road champ, or if it had to be an Elite.

But the podium photo kind of answers that I suppose.

The way the youngsters are performing these days makes me wonder if there is still a need for an under 23 category. Even the last 2 Tour de France Champions were younger than 23. 

• Replies 146
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The way the youngsters are performing these days makes me wonder if there is still a need for an under 23 category. Even the last 2 Tour de France Champions were younger than 23. 

That alone should be a red flag. 

My licence was issued by cyglingSA but the number is french :(

I only started cycling years after moving here. Must be linked to the id number provided (which was my french passport)

correct.

Why so?

Isn't it a combination of kids being exposed to science and proper physical conditioning from a younger age/for longer?

Bear in mind the early 2000's were a rodeo, so the older guys weren't exposed and guided by the same sort of data as the youngsters now.

Pro sport is a completely different beast to what it was even 10 years ago. Part of that is the science and performance data we now have access to without having to make a deal with the devil

The older guys in the WT peloton will tell you that the youngsters need to learn the ropes first. The youngsters coming in, according to the senior pros, “don’t respect” the so-called traditions.

OK thanks. I was just wondering, seeing as an u23 won, if they can be the (overall) SA road champ, or if it had to be an Elite.

But the podium photo kind of answers that I suppose.

Found this while looking for something else:

UCI rule 1.2.028

Participation in national championships shall be regulated by the respective national federations. Only riders who hold the nationality of the country for the purposes of the present regulations may compete for the title of national champion and the relevant points. A rider cannot compete for the title of national champion and the relevant points for more than one country during the same season.

If a national federation organises a separate event to award the national champion's title in a given category, riders in this category may not take part in the national championship event in another category. As an exception, if a national federation organises separate events for the award of the Elite and U23 national road champion titles, the national federation may determine that U23 riders are authorised to take part in both events.

Edit: forgot to include Chris_ in the second part.

Edited by Frosty

Why so?

Isn't it a combination of kids being exposed to science and proper physical conditioning from a younger age/for longer?

Bear in mind the early 2000's were a rodeo, so the older guys weren't exposed and guided by the same sort of data as the youngsters now.

Pro sport is a completely different beast to what it was even 10 years ago. Part of that is the science and performance data we now have access to without having to make a deal with the devil

very true, Racing in SA in the 1990 and earlier wasn't up to the standard thate existed in Europe. Cyclists from the USA, Australia  and many other non cycling culture nations all had the same problem when first exposed to European racing. The sport is much more international now with much greater access to good science and equipment

You got people frothing here. Your backup better be good haha

I just think of it in terms of other sports - The promising youth show flashes of brilliance, but soon fade due to injuries, burnout etc. (not everyone). 

I like to compare cycling to athletics, whether on the track or out on the road, but let's look at long distance events, 10k upward (discounting multi-day running events since I know too little). You do not see 21-22 year old's competing with the elites. Cycling and running differ in many ways, but in several ways they are the same - endurance, power, speed, mental fortitude. 

But I guess these U23 anomalies just play to their strengths, which seem to know no bounds. 

Where can one found the full results for ALL races?

Would have been nice if the results were on here https://www.cyclingsa.com/2021-sa-road-champs ...

Not all races with this link either?

https://inthebunch.co.za/2021/03/sa-national-road-championships-results-all-events/

Anybody knows where I can find the results for Master 50+ and up?  Junior races? 

Provisional results:

http://www.mobiielite.com/results/RaceID/616057db-4ff4-443e-bf4d-8c4b9c003b8f