SA Champs 2021 Road & TT - Swellendam

Napalm

Turned into a fantastic event considering all the odds and some teething issues. The route was always going to be really good, and with an exceptional backdrop in the Overberg region.
On balance a big congrats to everyone involved, from racers to event org.

This was a memorable experience during trying times and some animated racing. Especially among the ladies. Bravo!

Also, I honestly think it injected some much needed economic activity into Swellandam and the surrounding areas.

Speaking with the owners where I stayed, a young family took on the establishment in Feb last year. The reality of balancing Covid risks with the literal need to put food on the table and sustain a business.

• Replies 146
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Look how nice this road surface is! Sure not in jhb anymore...

How fuken true! The FIRST thing I noticed when driving back through the burbs to my spot last night.

You got people frothing here. Your backup better be good haha

I just think of it in terms of other sports - The promising youth show flashes of brilliance, but soon fade due to injuries, burnout etc. (not everyone). 

I like to compare cycling to athletics, whether on the track or out on the road, but let's look at long distance events, 10k upward (discounting multi-day running events since I know too little). You do not see 21-22 year old's competing with the elites. Cycling and running differ in many ways, but in several ways they are the same - endurance, power, speed, mental fortitude. 

But I guess these U23 anomalies just play to their strengths, which seem to know no bounds. 

Nice Save there  :ph34r: I can only imagine what would've happened if you said the D word

which of the 'teething issues' were most critical, in your opinion?

Turned into a fantastic event considering all the odds and some teething issues. The route was always going to be really good, and with an exceptional backdrop in the Overberg region.
On balance a big congrats to everyone involved, from racers to event org.

This was a memorable experience during trying times and some animated racing. Especially among the ladies. Bravo!

Also, I honestly think it injected some much needed economic activity into Swellandam and the surrounding areas.

Speaking with the owners where I stayed, a young family took on the establishment in Feb last year. The reality of balancing Covid risks with the literal need to put food on the table and sustain a business.

which of the 'teething issues' were most critical, in your opinion?

A few communication basics, start times and such like. As said though, it was a successful event. 

Out of interest, from what basis are you asking this question?

I convened the champs.

Well done, Seepglad

Especially with the gogga en alles

And the mixed weather too

Enjoyed my brief time in S'dam. Friendly welcoming from officials, a change from the upcountry norm. Great route with a beaut finish. Well done Seepglad, esp given the circumstances

I convened the champs.

I felt like I relied on refreshing the web page to get the latest info, versus actually receiving communications.

Covid protocol kept changing every time I hit F5. I get it, this was always going to be challenging.

Info page said email here to regester for feeding zone, but email was responded with no, feeders need to go to registration, but then the good folks at registration said no, feeders need to attend the managers meeting. We weren't able to come back into town to attend so I gave up on feeding. Heard through the grape vine that feeders can register from some bloke at the start line. Big hassle, but we preserverend and got bottles out on the route.

It's small stuff.

The big stuff were all massively well executed.

Except maybe those killer uncovered second set of railway lines...  :ph34r:

Feedzones:.....
Agreed it was frustrating comms-wise. Even on the inside :)

The big stuff were all massively well executed.

Dankie.

Left those open on purpose. Like in EU...it's not a fun ride :)

Edited by Seepglad

Left those open on purpose. Like in EU...it's not a fun ride :)

Eish. Without team cars supplying wheels nogals. I was glad to be running tubeless!

Eish. Without team cars supplying wheels nogals. I was glad to be running tubeless!

Valid point...the race decider should not be a flat wheel, even though its part of cycling, but as you stated no team support.

this could be a good debate....

Valid point...the race decider should not be a flat wheel, even though its part of cycling, but as you stated no team support.