SRAM 11 Speed Derailleur on a 10 Speed MTB GS

TCTG

Hi guys,

I am struggling to source a SRAM 10 speed Long Cage rear derailleur to drive my 11-52 cassette on my Cannondale HT. I was wondering would a 11 speed long cage SRAM or Shimano RD, able work this big cog? Or, could another make such as a Shimano 10 speed LGRD work equally well or not?

Either or, what modifications if any would one need to make in order for this to work? Any guidance will be appreciated.

Short answer, yes there is no reason for it not to work.  I have a Shimano XT M8000 SGS (long cage) derailleur that I'm not using if you are interested.  Will be more than capable to handle a 11-52 cassette.

Edit:  I used it on 11 speed (11-50) before no issues, replaced it with a XTR short cage on a 11-48 (11 speed cassette).

Edited by TheoG

Hi guys,

I am struggling to source a SRAM 10 speed Long Cage rear derailleur to drive my 11-52 cassette on my Cannondale HT. I was wondering would a 11 speed long cage SRAM or Shimano RD, able work this big cog? Or, could another make such as a Shimano 10 speed LGRD work equally well or not?

Either or, what modifications if any would one need to make in order for this to work? Any guidance will be appreciated.

I'm surprised to hear you have an 11-52 10s cassette, I would have thought a cassette with that range would be 11s, but perhaps I need to learn something.

IMHO if you are buying a new RD your best bet is to go for an 11s setup. you are going to need to buy an 11s shifter that matches the RD anyway, and you should be able to install an 11s MTB cassette on that same freehub (although this is not true for 11s road equipment). You'll also need an 11s chain.

If you want to keep the 10s cassette then you can probably get away with limiting the 11s derailleur to just the first 10 gears - use the limit screws to ensure you don't inadvertently put the RD in the spokes on your last upshift.

I expect that trying to use an unmatched 11s derailleur and 10s shifter combination will only end in tears..

Edited by 100Tours

I'm running a Shimano 11spd rear derailleur with a 10spd Shimano shifter on a 10pd cassette. Works like a dream. Not quite as big a cog though. 

Edited by Alouette3

Short answer, yes there is no reason for it not to work.  I have a Shimano XT M8000 SGS (long cage) derailleur that I'm not using if you are interested.  Will be more than capable to handle a 11-52 cassette.

Edit:  I used it on 11 speed (11-50) before no issues, replaced it with a XTR short cage on a 11-48 (11 speed cassette).

I have a 10 speed GS that I am using on this bike and you never used your 11 speed RD on a 10 speed to prove it can work. I currency have a 11 speed LCRD and I am struggling to have it shift to the top cog as one of the problems, hence my request for any tweaks or if any other solution is available.

I'm surprised to hear you have an 11-52 10s cassette, I would have thought a cassette with that range would be 11s, but perhaps I need to learn something.

IMHO if you are buying a new RD your best bet is to go for an 11s setup. you are going to need to buy an 11s shifter that matches the RD anyway, and you should be able to install an 11s MTB cassette on that same freehub (although this is not true for 11s road equipment). You'll also need an 11s chain.

If you want to keep the 10s cassette then you can probably get away with limiting the 11s derailleur to just the first 10 gears - use the limit screws to ensure you don't inadvertently put the RD in the spokes on your last upshift.

I expect that trying to use an unmatched 11s derailleur and 10s shifter combination will only end in tears..

Problem is I cannot find a 10speed LCRD, maybe someone else can direct me to a place where it is being sold. So I will continue to search.

The bike is used for quick rides and hence I do not necessarily want to spend in terms of conversion but maybe I should consider this route given the fact I have a 11 speed LCRD already. If I purchase the 11speed shifters would I need change anything else on the bike as well and will the current 10s cassette work with that combination you think?

The limitations you expressed is what I am currently experiencing and hence I need to find an alternate solution.

I'm running a Shimano 11spd rear derailleur with a 10spd Shimano shifter on a 10pd cassette. Works like a dream. Not quite as big a cog though. 

The size of my cassette is the issue...that's why it does not work as it supposed to.

Setting it up correctly, 11sp DR long cage will work 100% with a 10sp shifter on a 10sp cassette.  Although I didn't do it, I'm sure someone out there did.

The overall "travel" is the same, the gaps on 10sp is just slightly bigger than 11sp.

Edit:  Just saw @Alouette3 did exactly this.

Edited by TheoG

Setting it up correctly, 11sp DR long cage will work 100% with a 10sp shifter on a 10sp cassette.  Although I didn't do it, I'm sure someone out there did.

The overall "travel" is the same, the gaps on 10sp is just slightly bigger than 11sp.

yes it will work with a smaller cassette ratio...no disputing that but not with the ratio I have, hence the request for a LCRD.

Edited by TCTG

yes it will work with a smaller cassette ratio...no disputing that but not with the ration I have, hence the request for a LCRD.

Yes M8000 long cage like mine will work ...  

Out of interest what cassette are you running? I have never come across a 10spd cassette with a 52T ring on it.

Just went through the entire list of 11sp cassettes.  Sunrace, Garbaruk and OneUp all make 11-50, nothing bigger than that.

So either that is a 12sp cassette or the OP have his facts wrong.  Biggest 10 sp is 11-48 Shimano.

Garbaruk make 11-52 and 10-52 12 speed cassettes and also same from SRAM, that's the only ones with a 52 teeth.  Shimano biggest is 51 teeth (12 sp).

Edit:  That is irrelevant however since a 11 sp long cage RD is capable of handling 50/51/52 teeth.  The change in outer diameter of these three is minimal and the LC RD have enough capacity to cater for that.  I suspect 48 teeth is what it is ...  :)

Edited by TheoG

Okay, I can see there is angst amongst certain hubbers on whether this 11-52 10 speed exists or not. I must confess, I got the numbers mixed up with the FS bike and what I have is a 11-50. See pic of box it came in and its an import jobbie.