[Event] Paarl Mtb Challenge and S.A XCM Champs

Paarl Adventure Trails

I did the 40km ride yesterday, my first race in 25 years! The last few 100m's of climbing was tough, but overall it was a REALLY enjoyable day out, and super well organised and signposted. Event was also well priced to enter, and super stoked that I did it  :clap:

BTW: I did notice some riders taking shortcuts in my own ride, and the organisers said afterwards that a few of the elite riders had been DQ'ed as a result of "taking shortcuts". 

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

If you go the wrong way and do the wrong route you can’t expect anything else

The routes were really well indicated, and there were quite a few marshals on the course at intersections, so difficult to know if their "going the wrong way" was intentional, or a harmless mistake... 

Certainly the riders I saw in the 40km ride were intentionally "taking shortcuts" across the hairpins, which is kind of sad that people would do that for a 40km fun ride... 

Edited by Mark James

Jeepers this was one tough ride, it felt like we were climbing for the whole +- 6hours. i don't really know if i enjoyed the ride. Good to do an event again and get my ass off the doing base rides. 

The routes were really well indicated, and there were quite a few marshals on the course at intersections, so difficult to know if their "going the wrong way" was intentional, or a harmless mistake... 

Certainly the riders I saw in the 40km ride were intentionally "taking shortcuts" across the hairpins, which is kind of sad that people would do that for a 40km fun ride... 

Some okes were doing that at the Epic at the sharpish end a few years back, so really not a surprise that will happen at a 40km fun ride.

I was slotted into the Sub-Vets Category. Lined up with some pretty big hitters and admittedly tried to stick to the leading bunch for the first 7km - going up up THE WALL things came apart quite spectacularly and if this had been a road ride, I would have been shelled out the back of the group like I was going in reverse. 

There are few things more humbling in mountain biking than doing a climb so slowly that your Garmin Auto-Pauses, and after a couple of minutes I was trudging up the hill trying to catch my breath. Spent at least another 20km nursing my bruised ego after having the entire group pass me. With having never done that much climbing in 46 odd km I realized this was more about pacing your effort than anything else.  Finished up in 5h42m - pretty knackered but great to have been challenged and humbled. Congrats to all the top guys as well as those who finished, all outstanding performances on that route!

Don’t mean what I said as they went intentionally wrong; no one does that, but more to say they went wrong and can’t not to have a consequence after

Some okes were doing that at the Epic at the sharpish end a few years back, so really not a surprise that will happen at a 40km fun ride.

And Kevin Evans got a 1 hour penalty at Epic for doing just that on a hairpin.

Maybe some kids messed with the directional arrows 

This has happened before on races

sometimes it's very easy to get it wrong, with a little bit of brainfade that doesn't help. I remember last year the elgin valley one, one guy went straight when we were supposed to turn right in a weird gully, we all followed and had to walk back, probably lost about a minute there...

Well done to Matt Beers!

And wow, Yolande de Villiers, so age is just a number? Incredible to be racing with the younger ladies...

Our very own Valverde (or should that be Rebellin?)  :clap:

That is a major bummer. Was the course marked properly? Sometimes the arrows and taping could be better. What happens if you go wrong, go the longer way round due to the error but still win? Sill a DQ? 

Wouldn't know about the status if markings. I see the organisers were very specific on which markings to follow. We don't know if a board or tape marking went missing.

Unfortunately if you miss a section of the route the rules are clear, no matter your margin. I don't think anyone wanted this and certainly not Yolande.

Going by Robyn's post it seems they went over all the details/protocols in detail and unfortunately the conclusion, which was a DQ. Difficult situation all round.

That said, imho Robyn took it on the chin and handled it with class. Shitty, but she will always be able to have the green and gold bands. After all it wouldn't have been her first SA title, likely not her last either.

Our very own Valverde (or should that be Rebellin?)  :clap:

Hahaha not only for age

That is a major bummer. Was the course marked properly? Sometimes the arrows and taping could be better. What happens if you go wrong, go the longer way round due to the error but still win? Sill a DQ? 

Maybe some kids messed with the directional arrows 

This has happened before on races

Definitely marked correctly, I'm one of those that took a wrong turn, I'll put it down to a lapse of concentration.